2016 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like there are 6 very even contenders at this stage. 6 doesn't go into 5 though so which one will miss out on the final spot?

Last edited:

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like there are 6 very even contenders at this stage. 6 doesn't go into 5 though so which one will miss out on the final spot?
Thurgoona and Rutherglen have a soft draw over next month and Mitta play some of the top sides. Mitta will need to win a couple of them at least to not fall away.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thurgoona and Rutherglen have a soft draw over next month and Mitta play some of the top sides. Mitta will need to win a couple of them at least to not fall away.
That's true, but Mitta have a very soft draw in the run home. 12 wins pretty much guarantees a finals spot, with 10 games left Mitta needs only to win 6 of those. Should be very interesting because it looks like a very good team will miss out.

Rknee

Senior List
Sep 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hearing whispers already that Hillier is heading back to coach Henty next year, makes no sense at all as Mitta are looking at a finals campaign and Henty are struggling to get a win. Might just be wishful thinking from Henty.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
6 games left, and we're none the wiser to how the ladder will turn out. Any of the top 6 could win on their day, but obviously one misses out. My calculations has the top 6 looking like this;

Kiewa
Mitta
Thurgoona
Rutherglen
Barny
----------
Tallangatta.

Thurgoona has by far the toughest run home, playing the 5 other contenders in the last 6 weeks. If they make it, they will have earned it. All of the other sides only play at least 2 of the other contenders, with Mitta only playing 1. Percentage will come into play too, going to be a great finish and great finals series again hopefully. Massive contrast to O&M.
Very disappointing to see Saints lose, another winless season for them. How much longer can it last?
Salary cap of $80,000, will it have much of an impact in this league?

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
6 games left, and we're none the wiser to how the ladder will turn out. Any of the top 6 could win on their day, but obviously one misses out. My calculations has the top 6 looking like this;

Kiewa
Mitta
Thurgoona
Rutherglen
Barny
----------
Tallangatta.

Thurgoona has by far the toughest run home, playing the 5 other contenders in the last 6 weeks. If they make it, they will have earned it. All of the other sides only play at least 2 of the other contenders, with Mitta only playing 1. Percentage will come into play too, going to be a great finish and great finals series again hopefully. Massive contrast to O&M.
Very disappointing to see Saints lose, another winless season for them. How much longer can it last?
Salary cap of $80,000, will it have much of an impact in this league?
I honestly think Saints need to fold. They have spent the majority of their entire history close to the bottom and things don't look like getting any easier. Their volunteers have bled for the club and should be awarded a statue but with the obvious player drain around the district losing one club will help ease the pressure on many other clubs. At the least they should go into recess like East Lavington/Murray Magpies did until a better opportunity arises.

The Toecutter

All Australian
Feb 25, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Essendon
I honestly think Saints need to fold. They have spent the majority of their entire history close to the bottom and things don't look like getting any easier. Their volunteers have bled for the club and should be awarded a statue but with the obvious player drain around the district losing one club will help ease the pressure on many other clubs. At the least they should go into recess like East Lavington/Murray Magpies did until a better opportunity arises.
The same conversation comes up this time every year after they've gone through another winless season (so far), while their able to put two senior sides on the park they'll continue to play in the league. Plenty of suggestions have been put forward (go into recess, join the upper murray, move back to Bethanga). Maybe the only other alternative is to relocate all their training and off field activities to Baranduda with the hope the council might get on the front foot and establish a ground for them in the short to medium term. Rebranding the club as Baranduda Giants (or some other nickname) might also help remove the stigma percieved or otherwise of the Saints name also. Good luck to them but I agree they're fighting a losing cause.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting run into the finals with 6 sides who could all be good enough to win the Grand Final on their day. It will come down to the games the top 6 play against each other.
Mitta play 1 top 6 side
Kiewa play 2
Thurgoona play 5
Rutherglen play 3
Barny play 3
Tallangatta play 2

Based on this I'm tipping the biggest game of the last 6 rounds to be Tallangatta v Thurgoona. If Tallangatta win that one they should win 4 of the other remaining 5 games which would guarantee them a spot. Beating Thurgoona would mean that Thurgoona Could probably only afford one more loss in a tough run home.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see on the Border Mail website that Aker has had a real crack at some really bad interfering parents. I am guessing he's talking about some of the guys who have come into the Tallangatta League.

Last edited:

arm chair

Rookie
Oct 30, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I see on the Border Mail website that Aker has had a real crack at some really bad interfering parents. I am guessing he's taking about some of the guys who have come into the Tallangatta League.
Aker is a fu*k witt. 30 plus player turn around speaks for itself. Some very good players have left McDonald Brown Holmans etc. He needs to shut him mouth stick around and actually try and coach the team and not hurl abuse towards his players on game day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOHNNY GASTEV

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2008
Lavington
AFL Club
West Coast
:p
In regards to Wodonga Saints- I did a bit of reading through the development of Baranduda. It is available on the council website. There is a little mention of Wodonga Saints in it.

http://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/downloads/images/Draft Baranduda Reserve Master Plan web.pdf

There is a little bit of info on page 20.
Nah, they're rooted. Be lucky to last another year or two let alone 5-10 years. In 20 years time Baranduda will be ready to support a full stand alone club, there's not even a pub there at the moment.:rolleyes:

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like the top 5 is set, just need to finalise the order. Tallangatta look certain to miss. Was last year just a flash in the pan or have they started to drink their own bathwater? When was the last time a premier failed to make the finals the next season?

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like the top 5 is set, just need to finalise the order. Tallangatta look certain to miss. Was last year just a flash in the pan or have they started to drink their own bathwater? When was the last time a premier failed to make the finals the next season?
They still have a pulse though. Tallangatta should win their last 4 games and are 2 games behind Barny. Barny play Rutherglen and Kiewa in the run home. It's a big ask to catch Thurgoona but they play Mitta, Rutherglen and Kiewa.

Milkman200

Draftee
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Tallangatta would need to make up 30% on Barny and considering Barny play Saints and Dederang in the last 4 rounds that seems unlikely. And Thurgoona have 50% on Tallangatta so even if they lost the next 3 you'd think they would still be above them.

no kicks20

Debutant
Mar 23, 2008
Wodonga
AFL Club
Melbourne

Beechworth in 2011 (premiers 2010), Tallangatta in 2010 (2009) and Barnawartha in 2003 (2002) are three recent ones that I can think of.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tallangatta have had an interesting decade. They have only made the finals 3 times but have won 2 premierships. Great strike rate. Correct me if I'm wrong but 2 wooden spoons too

wizards

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2008
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn't think two light towers with 1 light on each would be an advantage to anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back