State of Origin 2016 SoO Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no one has taken up the challenge of pointing out a single penalty that NSW were given that was wrong (even while relying on 9s farcical commentary team.)

In any case, who gives a s**t if NSW did get the better of the refereeing? The Blues have been screwed over that many times during live series' that surely a Maroons fan would take that and just say "that's fine, we'll take the referees dragging us over the line in matches that matter."

Free kicks (in AFL) and penalties (in rugby league) are the stupidest stats in their respective games. They don't mean anything - they just give ignorant "fans" and people who didn't actually watch the game something to bitch about.
Qld got a penalty for crowding, they also got a similar one in game one or two.

Still not sure why you get penalised for crowding if you are standing in the right position as marker and the attacking player moves off the mark.

Yet it shouldn't have been a penalty. Good one.
No one knew he had a broken jaw. I've already explained it more than once that the hit didn't look like much in it. Inglis didn't use as much force as normal shoulder charges. He barely got off the ground. Inglis is a big guy so that didn't help either. If Dugan didn't get so badly injured there might not have even been a suspension. He did though, and Inglis got 3 weeks.

No one knew he had a broken jaw. I've already explained it more than once that the hit didn't look like much in it. Inglis didn't use as much force as normal shoulder charges. He barely got off the ground. Inglis is a big guy so that didn't help either. If Dugan didn't get so badly injured there might not have even been a suspension. He did though, and Inglis got 3 weeks.

You just didn't want there to be much in it.

You don't break a jaw without it being both high, and enough force. You kept trying to argue it at the time. It was plain to see, yet you claimed it was only those with a NSW bias that thought so.

You just didn't want there to be much in it.

You don't break a jaw without it being both high, and enough force. You kept trying to argue it at the time. It was plain to see, yet you claimed it was only those with a NSW bias that thought so.
Have you seen the replay? It's not like Inglis ran at him full pelt and jumped at him with full force. Obviously Inglis' shoulder made contact to Dugan's shoulder and it broke his jaw. There's really not a whole lot more to it.

You know you don't have to get off the ground to shoulder charge right?

were the refs a big factor? obs after game 1 daley referred to them somewhat. do you RL followers feel they have some inherent bias because of where they're born/bred?

Just below standard for mine.

Free kicks (in AFL) and penalties (in rugby league) are the stupidest stats in their respective games. They don't mean anything - they just give ignorant "fans" and people who didn't actually watch the game something to bitch about.

Penalties are huge in Rugby league (particularly origin)... when it's 9-1 it's a wonder why NSW had 70 per cent of the ball. QLD had to keep defending and defending and they still kept them to 6.
9-1 is ridiculous. I'm a neutral and don't give a fk who wins but I don't want to see that s**t in a state of origin game where it's always tight and metres are so important.
It just seemed like a case of NSW are down 2-0, it's a dead rubber lets make this interesting.
That try was offside as well. Duigan does a s**t kick, barely touched by Inglis..penalty NSW..wtf.
I just want to see the best team win and they didn't because they didn't have a chance. But it just reaffirmed how good QLD are. If QLD got that treatment the game would of been over at half time.
All I know is I wont be tuning in next year if the series is over game 3. What a Circus that was.
If that makes me'ignorant' so be it.

Penalties are huge in Rugby league (particularly origin)... when it's 9-1 it's a wonder why NSW had 70 per cent of the ball. QLD had to keep defending and defending and they still kept them to 6.
9-1 is ridiculous. I'm a neutral and don't give a fk who wins but I don't want to see that s**t in a state of origin game where it's always tight and metres are so important.
It just seemed like a case of NSW are down 2-0, it's a dead rubber lets make this interesting.
That try was offside as well. Duigan does a s**t kick, barely touched by Inglis..penalty NSW..wtf.
If that makes me'ignorant' so be it.

At least you realise your ignorance I guess.

I particularly like the bit where Dugan was "barely touched" and now has to have a plate in his jaw.

The point is that the raw numbers mean * all - it is the dumbest stat in football because, with no context it doesn't mean anything. Most stats give you an indication of how the game went, or where the game was won or lost. Penalties don't do that. All the penalty stat tells you is... well, who got more penalties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least you realise your ignorance I guess.

I particularly like the bit where Dugan was "barely touched" and now has to have a plate in his jaw.

The point is that the raw numbers mean **** all - it is the dumbest stat in football because, with no context it doesn't mean anything. Most stats give you an indication of how the game went, or where the game was won or lost. Penalties don't do that. All the penalty stat tells you is... well, who got more penalties.

Sometimes players get hurt from accidents...there was no malice or force in it just got him flush. It just summed up the night..NSW * up and they get a penalty for it. NSW score a try when a player is off side and it's called a try. Load of s**t. But good luck to them.
But QLD are better and proved that again last night. Go figure.

Incredible how Smith is trying to thank NSW and Gallen on the series and Gallen's career in Origin and the pricks are walking off the field.

Can't win a series so act like sore-losing tossbags. Gallen "didn't even realize" Smith was making his speech? Must be his cauliflower ears that doesn't allow him to hear properly. He's had a very good career in Origin but has always been a flog and that hasn't changed.

Smith is right: Queensland wouldn't do that.

Incredible how Smith is trying to thank NSW and Gallen on the series and Gallen's career in Origin and the pricks are walking off the field.

Can't win a series so act like sore-losing tossbags. Gallen "didn't even realize" Smith was making his speech? Must be his cauliflower ears that doesn't allow him to hear properly. He's had a very good career in Origin but has always been a flog and that hasn't changed.

Smith is right: Queensland wouldn't do that.
"But... um... we were only thanking the NSW supporters... um for coming out... no disrespect... Smith is a great player... I mean, I don't particularly like him... but..."

Really, I'm sorry but for a professional player this is just pathetic. I know I am harping on about it a bit but we are taught in the U/9s to show respect to the opposing team by sitting through these presentations, and Gallen's futile attempt to declare it a non-issue damages his already fractured reputation even more. Does this now set a standard for junior players to follow?

There is a reason that, despite being from NSW, I have the upmost respect for this current QLD squad. The model squad both on and off the field.

"But... um... we were only thanking the NSW supporters... um for coming out... no disrespect... Smith is a great player... I mean, I don't particularly like him... but..."

Really, I'm sorry but for a professional player this is just pathetic. I know I am harping on about it a bit but we are taught in the U/9s to show respect to the opposing team by sitting through these presentations, and Gallen's futile attempt to declare it a non-issue damages his already fractured reputation even more. Does this now set a standard for junior players to follow?

There is a reason that, despite being from NSW, I have the upmost respect for this current QLD squad. The model squad both on and off the field.
His whole "we were thanking the fans" reason for not staying for Smith's speech is bullshit. You could have gone to see them 30 seconds later you flog.

I don't believe anyone gives up the home game these days - I think they announced Origin home & away matches last year for the next 5 years (in terms of where they'd be playing), and one of the 5 years starting this year was always going to include a "neutral" game. Everyone just assumed it would come back to Melbourne, or possibly be overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back