News 2016 St Kilda in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Sporting clubs (esp. Male dominated clubs ) are the last bastion of old world thinking when it comes to LGBT. How many gay players are out there and how many do you think have identified themselves as LGBT? If there are any left in the game that is, how many dike joke are made about female footballers. All were saying is it's ok to be LGBT. This is no political thrust
This is incredibly true. My own footy club has 70 or so listed senior players and not a single one of them is openly gay to my knowledge. Statistically at least one of them is likely gay but isnt open about it which is damning even in a club which I think is reasonably free of most (not all) dudebro style thinking.

Its less about how welcoming the Saints are to lgbt people and more about stating that they should be welcomed at ALL levels.

This is incredibly true. My own footy club has 70 or so listed senior players and not a single one of them is openly gay to my knowledge. Statistically at least one of them is likely gay but isnt open about it which is damning even in a club which I think is reasonably free of most (not all) dudebro style thinking.

Its less about how welcoming the Saints are to lgbt people and more about stating that they should be welcomed at ALL levels.

assuming that the statistics apply to all aspects of society, in which you'd also have to assume that 90 something percent of male ballet dancers were straight.

assuming that the statistics apply to all aspects of society, in which you'd also have to assume that 90 something percent of male ballet dancers were straight.
What percentage had left the game at an early age because of anti LGBT behaviour amongst junior ranks?

I do agree to an extent that football may not contain the statistical percentage, but surely you'd have to agree there not being 1 openly known player in the league ( AFL ) a little odd.

1 pride game doesn't go very far, but would racism have got such attention without Nicky's stand? There has to be a starting point.

As I said elsewhere, it doesn't harm heterosexuals to say. Yeah it's ok if your gay, it has no bearing on my life and it shouldn't on yours.

The majority are still straight in ballet but why shouldn't football aim to be more reflective of society he said 1 out of the 70 not 7-8 out of the 70

On the lgbti topic, sport can be a great source of community in this country. Any group that is made to feel as if they can't be included in that is a massive shame.

I want to live in a society that demonstrates kindness and inclusivity and am proud that St kilda is promoting that too.

I am a card carrying bleeding heart lefty though.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The majority are still straight in ballet but why shouldn't football aim to be more reflective of society he said 1 out of the 70 not 7-8 out of the 70

I know that gender affects what kids tend to want to do. The playing with dolls, playing with cars and guns thing happens on its own ( up to a point ) with or without a gender stereotype by the parents. Girls really do like playing with dolls more than boys, unless there is violence or weapons involved. ( up to a point ).
I don't know enough to suggest that AFL footy would appeal to gay members of society more or less or the same as the general public. But its possible that it may not. It is safe to assume that there should be some gay footballers somewhere in the AFL.

I know that gender affects what kids tend to want to do. The playing with dolls, playing with cars and guns thing happens on its own ( up to a point ) with or without a gender stereotype by the parents. Girls really do like playing with dolls more than boys, unless there is violence or weapons involved. ( up to a point ).
I don't know enough to suggest that AFL footy would appeal to gay members of society more or less or the same as the general public. But its possible that it may not. It is safe to assume that there should be some gay footballers somewhere in the AFL.

Someone someday will come out after they retire just before their book launch.

There may be a gender preference to different types of play but a large factor is how girls and boys are raised.
But yeah an athletic team sport with muscular guys with no body fat running around in tank tops and short shorts can't imagine a single gay guy getting into that not like rugby fans mock us that way

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-...nging-event-for-many-in-afl-community/7647390

7647858-3x2-940x627.jpg

There may be a gender preference to different types of play but a large factor is how girls and boys are raised.
But yeah an athletic team sport with muscular guys with no body fat running around in tank tops and short shorts can't imagine a single gay guy getting into that not like rugby fans mock us that way

Having raised both , we actually gave them very similar toys. The girl built little houses from her lego, with people and animals, the boys built cars and planes. I don't really think the way they are raised had much bearing.
One of the boys went through a barbie phase , ( playing with his sister and wanting, and getting his own dolls ), but then moved on to prefer playing with guns ( when he didn't get a toy gun to start with, all sorts of other household items became guns ).

None of them were much interested in ANY sport :( My daughter probably kicked a footy more than the boys , but kick to kick, she didn't like the rough side of it.

One of my kids has a TG friend who bucked the stereotypes from a very early age. ( right into sport too ).

I agree that you'd really expect that there would be someone in the AFL.

Why? Because someone would think you're gay and then you would have to say "actually , no I'm not."?!?!

:O :O that sounds awful. Good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'd have to say, "no, but it's what I wanna be" if I was wearing that on my head. Now that's a pretty strange sentiment. Pretty weird slogan on that beanie.

Maybe you could say that what you want to be is accepting of difference and diversity.

The point of the exercise. Pride isn't about converting the hetro community into LGBT, is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back