Super Rugby 2016 Super Rugby Discussion

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Sure as heck have. They replied in Japanese :cry: I would have gotten my stepmum to translate but I want to buy it for her as a gift, so....
Might have to attempt to buy one from Japan. I need more Japanese mates!
Where's the response? You should be able to just post it into Google and translate it into English

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Good win over the evil enemy tonight, boys are really up and about to start the season. Got a bit heated at times, was good to see

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
This is beyond a joke now, something needs to change so the Rebels can become successful on the field. If they don't their future is in jeopardy
Why?
Plenty of teams return from Loftus with their tails between their legs.
They beat the Force in Perth last week and finished 3rd in the Conference last season. Wouldn't write them off after 1 bad week although I hope I never see the day when them or Perth start outperforming the Brumbies

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why?
Plenty of teams return from Loftus with their tails between their legs.
They beat the Force in Perth last week and finished 3rd in the Conference last season. Wouldn't write them off after 1 bad week although I hope I never see the day when them or Perth start outperforming the Brumbies
It is not just because we lost, we have no major sponsor and not great levels of support in Melbourne. We need to improve greatly on field so we can grow off the field. If the Rebels could become a strong side and regular finalist we would sell out AAMI Park each week and the participation rates would grow and so would corporate support for the Rebels.
At the moment super rugby is by far the smallest of the four football competitions in Melbourne.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is not just because we lost, we have no major sponsor and not great levels of support in Melbourne. We need to improve greatly on field so we can grow off the field. If the Rebels could become a strong side and regular finalist we would sell out AAMI Park each week and the participation rates would grow and so would corporate support for the Rebels.
At the moment super rugby is by far the smallest of the four football competitions in Melbourne.
Its funny a lot of people said in 05 when the Force beat the Rebels for the 4th aussie licence that the Storm were the big winners. Following that the Storm had of course those 2 premierships in 07 and 09 and really built there fan base. Then of coursr they had the salary cap drama and a lot of the feeling in Melbourne was that whilst Storm cheated they weren't the only ones doing it and got treated worse cause they were from Melbourne and I feel thats why the city really got behind the Storm. Then they win a premiership in the Rebels second season.

The Rebels come in 2011 and start off getting some great crowds but just couldn't maintain it whilst not winning.

I feel that Melbourne has fallen in love with the Storm because of the clubs culture and naybe that has affected the Rebels. I watch mire Super Rugby then NRL but I am way more passionate about Storm then Rebels.

Last edited:

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Unfortunately I don't ever think it will gain huge support in Melbourne. I was against Australia getting a 5th franchise just as I was with GWS and GC joining the AFL, to me it just dilutes the talent pool too much. From an outsider it also seems the Storm has done an amazing job and captured the market in Melbourne, going to be really hard attracting new sponsors/supporters

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unfortunately I don't ever think it will gain huge support in Melbourne. I was against Australia getting a 5th franchise just as I was with GWS and GC joining the AFL, to me it just dilutes the talent pool too much. From an outsider it also seems the Storm has done an amazing job and captured the market in Melbourne, going to be really hard attracting new sponsors/supporters
The storm have been successful in creating a fan base because in their time in the NRL the have one for flags.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its funny a lot of people said in 05 when the Force beat the Rebels for the 4th aussie licence that the Storm were the big winners. Following that the Storm had of course those 2 premierships in 07 and 09 and really built there fan base. Then of coursr they had the salary cap drama and a lot of the feeling in Melbourne was that whilst Storm cheated they weren't the only ones doing it and got treated worse cause they were from Melbourne and I feel thats why the city really got behind the Storm. Then they win a premiership in the Rebels second season.

The Rebels come in 2011 and start off getting some great crowds but just couldn't maintain it whilst not winning.

I feel that Melbourne has fallen in love with the Storm because of the clubs culture and naybe that has affected the Rebels. I watch mire Super Rugby then NRL but I am way more passionate about Storm then Rebels.
That's it they can't maintain crowds with poor on field performance. People who are new to union aren't going to invest the time going to the games when the team is not producing a high standard of rugby. The support is there for them in Melbourne they just need to find it

Back