2016 TDF fred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night's TT really tightened things up, but surprisingly nobody changed places.

The GC rankings before the TT were:
1. Froome
2. Mollema
3. Yates
4. Quintana
5. Bardet
6. Porte

The GC rankings after the TT are now:
1. Froome
2. Mollema
3. Yates
4. Quintana
5. Bardet
6. Porte

Ignoring Froome, last night's stage results were almost biblical. The last shall be first, and the first shall be last.
Porte
Bardet +11 seconds
Quintana +37 seconds
Yates +50 seconds
Mollema +52 seconds

This means that every single gap was reduced, but not one rider managed to overtake another on the GC. Truly remarkable.

I still have huge doubts about Porte finishing on the podium, because of the time he still needs to claim back in Mollema and Yates.

There is no doubt that Porte is the 2nd best rider in this year's Tour. He lost 1:45 due to a flat tyre on Stage 2, he now trails 2nd place by 1:08. Without the mechanical problem he'd be sitting in 2nd place, with a 37 second lead over 3rd. Coulda/woulda/shoulda.. didn't. The reality is that he's 68 seconds from 2nd place, with just one mountain top finish to go (Saturday's finish in Morzine is at the bottom of a 9km descent). To make matters worse, tonight's mountain top finish is "only" Cat1, not HC. It's 9.8km, at an average of 8%. Is that tough enough for him to put the other riders into difficulty, and gap them by at least 45 seconds?

not completely, part false dichotomy [my logical fallacy now]

they had 8 teammates. OK, so one of my favourites, Greg Van Avermaet, was a legitimate shot for the win on that stage parcours with the ramp on the finish, GvA would have fancied himself and prototype puncheur 4 that stage.

and Tejay also a legitimate shot for the podium. overall, GC, cos the field is pretty damn weak.

But if you take out LRP little richie porte and GvA and TJvG, that leaves 6 riders.

did anyone ferkin have a wheel for LRP? What gives in BMC, are they running a sideshow? LRP entitled to be mega pissed.

but I am pretty happy Adam Yates is on the podium, I have a soft spot for the fraternal twin brothers, as long as Brailsford does not come in with a knockout bid for Adam.

I'm not defending BMC's godawful teamwork, which contributed significantly to Porte's time loss. The point is that he has lost less time on-the-road than any of the other GC contenders (other than Froome, of course).

If he didn't have that mechanical, or if it had been dealt with more quickly, he would now be in 2nd position - not languishing in 6th, with less than a 50% chance of making the podium.

PROFIL.png

Last chance to get any real big time back.

(Saturday's finish in Morzine is at the bottom of a 9km descent).

Good analysis, but I wouldn't be ruling this out. There are two Cat 1's and a HC before that 9km descent, and it's the last of 4 consecutive days in the mountains. If anyone cracks, a 9 km descent may not be enough to help them get back on, especially if the guys you're trying to get back on to are also trying to bury you.

Good analysis, but I wouldn't be ruling this out. There are two Cat 1's and a HC before that 9km descent, and it's the last of 4 consecutive days in the mountains. If anyone cracks, a 9 km descent may not be enough to help them get back on, especially if the guys you're trying to get back on to are also trying to bury you.
Anything's possible.. I can't see any of the top-5 riders cracking the way that TJVG did. It's possible Porte could attack on the HC climb, hoping to keep his gains on the descent. Whether he succeeds or not would depend on how much of a gap he's able to create before the summit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ this descent is claiming some scalps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Froome looks vulnerable. Sky are such a well oiled machine compared to BMC and Movistar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely they have to attack froome now. At the beginning of this climb
You would think so. If they don't do it now, they never will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back