2016 - The Washup

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want to hype him too much, he is a young kid got a lot of work to do. Saw one of the floating kick to the corridor nearly cause a turnover. If that team is hawthorn will get punish. But he show good sign.
I only see a positive in that as he actually had the balls to want to use the corridor

I only see a positive in that as he actually had the balls to want to use the corridor
As a first year player i just think he need some honest feedback to work at. Pav work his pant off to become a legend. If everything is ok now there is no area of improvement for him to work at.

The biggest thing I hope the club learns from this year is to never have a list that barely has 26-28 (generous too) in a roster that are best 22 quality on the list. We need to inject new blood throughout the year, when we're winning and when we're losing. I liked a comment on the radio this morning from one of the bullies assistants and he said they purely want reliability from guys that come in, playing a blinder is purely upside.

The biggest thing I hope the club learns from this year is to never have a list that barely has 26-28 (generous too) in a roster that are best 22 quality on the list. We need to inject new blood throughout the year, when we're winning and when we're losing. I liked a comment on the radio this morning from one of the bullies assistants and he said they purely want reliability from guys that come in, playing a blinder is purely upside.
looking at those 26-28 year olds... They are from the 2007-2009 drafts....

2007: mayne.

2008: Hill, Ballantyne, Suban, Clarke, walters, De Boer, Clancee pearce

2009: morabito, fyfe, barlow and silvagni.

Put it this way... we have some solid soldiers in that 26-28 year range.

cant say the same thing about the saints in 2012.

we finished with 4 wins and 18 losses. we are much much better than that. But thats the cold hard win loss record.

I look back at this season with disappointment and frustration.

winning only 3 home games was unacceptable.

I look at a few home games... that gutted me...

Gold coast: take away that 7 goal 2nd quarter and we would of won by 2-3 goals.

.Carlton: we were inaccurate and fyfe got injured made the loss even worse. We just needed that one goal and we would of won.

geelong: we lead at half and 3 quarter time. Cats were accurate in that last quarter, freo were not. cats won by 2-3 goals when we should of won by a goal.

There was away games we should of won...

Saints: up by 2 goals at 3 quarter time then collasped.

North: neck and neck at 3 quarter time then collasped.

Hope the freo players train hard on their fitness. Could of easily got another 4-6 wins because of it

we finished with 4 wins and 18 losses. we are much much better than that. But thats the cold hard win loss record.

I look back at this season with disappointment and frustration.

winning only 3 home games was unacceptable.

I look at a few home games... that gutted me...

Gold coast: take away that 7 goal 2nd quarter and we would of won by 2-3 goals.

.Carlton: we were inaccurate and fyfe got injured made the loss even worse. We just needed that one goal and we would of won.

geelong: we lead at half and 3 quarter time. Cats were accurate in that last quarter, freo were not. cats won by 2-3 goals when we should of won by a goal.

There was away games we should of won...

Saints: up by 2 goals at 3 quarter time then collasped.

North: neck and neck at 3 quarter time then collasped.

Hope the freo players train hard on their fitness. Could of easily got another 4-6 wins because of it

All those losses made the win for Pav all the sweeter. That's the bigger picture. The meaning of the whole season for me was in the manner of its ending.

The year began with a thrashing at the hands of the Dogs and ended with us disposing of the Dogs against the odds for the love of Pav. "And thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges" (to quote the Bard). There's a certain poetic symmetry to that.

The fact that in a season marked by an inability to play the 4 quarters the boys dug deep, fought it out to the end and won for Pav is a gift he'll cherish for the rest of his life. And it's now coloured the whole season for me. And these are the terms in which I'll always think of it:

Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head

(As You Like It)

I think he is referring to the 2004 to 2007 drafts where we traded away all our picks. Now they are 28 to 31.

Sorry think you misunderstood... Wasn't referring to age. I was referring that there was around 26-28 players on the list that I think are best 22 quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thankgod the disaster of a season we have had is over.

End of an era no doubt the success we have had and how close we came in the last 4 years and how far we fell made it very frustrating. Makes you realise that you should never take winning granted no matter how ugly they are.

A few points to take out no doubt there was a lack of fitness which attributed to our poor season. Who on earth thought on doing less running in the pre season when rotations were being reduced was just plain dumb.

No doubt next year will be different in that department wouldnt suprise me at all if we are on fittest teams next year judging from some of rtb quotes in the past couple of months.

And a cleanslate in a way by starting again and being on level terms with the other teams should help re energize the players that are left as it took 11 games to jag our 1st win and by then the season was over.

Our 1st pick was our issue and it will be for a few years yet.

Pav, 350(+) games
Hill, 100+
Sheridan and Bennell 50+

Next year, we only have one first pick with 100+ games in him, though Bennell I think would just crack 100 if he plays out the whole of next season.

Obviously, the first pick isn't an absolute measure (Fye, or Neale at pick 58), but generally that's where the cream is likely to be found.

2006 - Pick 8 (and Paul Medhurst) traded for Chris Tarrant
2007 - Pick 7 Rhys Palmer
2008 - Pick 3 Stephen Hill
2009 - Pick 4 Anthony Morabito
2010 - Pick 20 Jayden Pitt
2011 - Pick 16 Tom Sheridan
2012 - Pick 17 Josh Simpson (edited)
2013 - Pick 17 Michael Apeness
2014 - Pick 13 Lachie Weller
2015 - Bennell

1st Picks playing this year.
Weller - 22 games (25 games in his career)
Apeness - 5 games (7 games in his career)
Sheridan - 21 games
Hill - 21 games
Pav - 18 games

Last edited:
Our 1st pick was our issue and it will be for a few years yet.

Pav, 350(+) games
Hill, 100+
Sheridan and Bennell 50+

Next year, we only have one first pick with 100+ games in him, though Bennell I think would just crack 100 if he plays out the whole of next season.

Obviously, the first pick isn't an absolute measure (Fye, or Neale at pick 58), but generally that's where the cream is likely to be found.

2006 - Pick 8 (and Paul Medhurst) traded for Chris Tarrant
2007 - Pick 7 Rhys Palmer
2008 - Pick 3 Stephen Hill
2009 - Pick 4 Anthony Morabito
2010 - Pick 20 Jayden Pitt
2011 - Pick 16 Tom Sheridan
2012 - Pick 12 Josh Simpson
2013 - Pick 17 Michael Apeness
2014 - Pick 13 Lachie Weller
2015 - Bennell

1st Picks playing this year.
Weller - 22 games (25 games in his career)
Apeness - 5 games (7 games in his career)
Sheridan - 21 games
Hill - 21 games
Pav - 18 games

Simpson was 17 not 12.

A bad year that ended on a good note.

The signs were there mid 2015 that Freo had given their best shot and been found lacking for a couple of class players to go to the next level. A great effort by the players and coaching staff to wring all they could from the team. We still went very close to getting to the Grand Final in 2015 in spite of being a low scoring defensive team with some average players getting a game most weeks.

Prior to this season I had never walked away from a Freo game during Lyon's time feeling we didn't give it everything we had but this year we stunk most weeks.

What's done is done so we must look forward in the hope that those within the club realise things need to change and are smart enough to make the right decisions to build the club up again for another tilt at a flag.

My impression on what has happened so far towards setting the club on the path to be a contender again is that around the time Lyon's contract was extended early in the season the decision makers within the club realised it was time to set new goals beyond this season looking forward into the mid to long term future of 2 to 5 years. Signing an extension out to 2020 for the coach killed off the media scuttlebutt as the season went down the toilet, in recent days Lyon has been on the front foot by placing a marker out at 4 years for a return to the finals, a smart move to set his own agenda rather than have it dictated by the media low life. Just look at the mischief they tried to stir up over Neale and Fyfe for instance.

By statements and action what the club has done towards it's future aims is that they have taken a lot of heat off the club as there is a coach set in place for the term of the rebuild and a generous time frame for him to operate in - smart move imo.

There is a good core of players under 26 to build a future team around. There is plenty of reason to think players who are a bit raw atm will develop further next season and beyond. The club seems well set up in that regard.

Injuries have cursed us all year and given a better run by the injury gods we should have our better players on the park more often than this season. HB will be a real asset if he can stay fit.

Drafting and trading will be interesting but we are only guessing who and how all that pans out. Let's hope we nail it.

Of all the likely suspects for the chop I would like to see Barlow stay on for another year and play the lock down midfielder role just to keep a gun mid from the other sides on the chain. We need to take the heat off the young players for a while to give them time to develop without catching floggings like we have had this season. Tommy Sheridan looks like he could fill that role but lets keep some insurance on hand if needed.

Now that I am over the disappointment of this season I am excited for the future with all it's highs and lows. Bring it on.

Cool head too, has the temperament to make it big time

Yep very smooth mover. Doesn't appear to be very damaging but can definately set up play which is just as important. I loved his game.

Both he Weller and Blakely will be guns and I'm positive about what I've seen with Balic.

Yep very smooth mover. Doesn't appear to be very damaging but can definately set up play which is just as important. I loved his game.

Both he Weller and Blakely will be guns and I'm positive about what I've seen with Balic.
Stop mentioning Balic, this kid if injuries free wii be rising star nominee next year. Weller ,blakely , tucker all pretty good but i see the upside of balic more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back