2016 - The Washup

Remove this Banner Ad

New leadership group lead by fyfe(captain) , neale walters, alex pearce .

The captaincy is voted on by the players. Mundy himself said it's not guarantee for him. I think he deserves another shot at it but I think the players will vote him out.

Once Freo lost in Round 5 vs Carlton and Fyfe broke his leg (& Sandi out long term), I thought Freo's season was shot and the focus had to be about 2017 and onwards. I'm also pretty sure that RoLy, who is entirely focused on winning the cup, had similar thoughts of 2016 now being a development year. With that in mind, it was in RoLy's (and Freo's) best interest to play youth, experiment with game plans, nurse injured players and improve draft picks by ending up lower on the ladder. With that belief, the most disappointing thing I found for the rest of the season was from some of the so-called Freo supporters. Those RoLy haters who felt justified to use every loss as a reason to blame the coaching, recruiting, administration, players, etc...

So, I learnt (or confirmed) a few things;
Injuries hurt.
If you have a hate on Freo, dockerland maybe the place for you ... hence I'm here.
Freo's dominant midfield isn't so dominant without Sandiland and Fyfe.
A dominant midfield makes life much easier for the rest of the team.

Regarding injuries. I think people still don't respect the impact that injuries can have on a team. North Melbourne won their first 9 games of the season. They only won 3 of their last 13 games. Freo won 4 of their last 13 games.

& the 2017 captain just has to be Fyfe.

Last edited:
The captaincy is voted on by the players. Mundy himself said it's not guarantee for him. I think he deserves another shot at it but I think the players will vote him out.

Just on the vote. Given that it was reportedly a close vote, and with a large amount of players set to leave, are we more likely to see the younger players favour fyfe over Mundy?

Once Freo lost in Round 5 vs Carlton and Fyfe broke his leg (& Sandi out long term), I thought Freo's season was shot and the focus had to be about 2017 and onwards. I'm also pretty sure that RoLy, who is entirely focused on winning the cup, had similar thoughts of 2016 now being a development year. With that in mind, it was in RoLy's (and Freo's) best interest to play youth, experiment with game plans, nurse injured players and improve draft picks by ending up lower on the ladder. With that belief, the most disappointing thing I found for the rest of the season was from some of the so-called Freo supporters. Those RoLy haters who felt justified to use every loss as a reason to blame the coaching, recruiting, administration, players, etc...

So, I learnt (or confirmed) a few things;
Injuries hurt.
If you have a hate on Freo, dockerland maybe the place for you ... hence I'm here.
Freo's dominant midfield isn't so dominant without Sandiland and Fyfe.
A dominant midfield makes life much easier for the rest of the team.

Regarding injuries. I think people still don't respect the impact that injuries can have on a team. North Melbourne won their first 9 games of the season. They only won 3 of their last 13 games. Freo won 4 of their last 13 games.

& the 2017 captain just has to be Fyfe.

Who is RoLy and do I need to go to Dockerland to find out ?:)

I'm really not sure that mundy being voted out as captain in just one year of the job would be the best look for the club at the moment...wouldn't be the best look on mundy and the confidence of his team to lead. I actually would like to see Walters as captain if anyone. Fyfes body language at times during games can be bog average when it's not going right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundy as Captain will only survive if players like Suban, De Boer, Clarke, Mayne and Ballas remain at freo. Fyfe and Mundy was a close vote last season and i believe that Fyfe represents the young players and Mundy was representing the oldies. That is why Mundy came out a few days ago and said he thinks it will be a quick rebound compared to Ross who said it will be closer too four years.

The reason this is important is because Ross from those comments (and other comments he has made about Fyfe eventually becoming the captain at freo) is showing that he is on the longer rebuild side of the equation and as such views Fyfe as the next captain.

However the equation (which was slightly in Mundy's favour last year) i believe will turn slightly in Fyfe's favour next year, with a few of the Oldies getting axed in favour of more youth the scales will flip.

Personally i think Fyfe is the right choice next year because Fyfe represents 'the next generation' and i believe we need a new captain to take us forward with our new group of younger players.

This is not to take away from Mundy who will for me always be one of my most loved freo players. He put in such an enormous effort to help us this year as captain and he definitely did it to the best of his ability. At the end of the day if the captaincy comes down to a vote it becomes more of a political contest which in some ways is better than a popularity contest however it means that ruthless decisions will be made if there isn't an absolute obvious choice for the captaincy (ala Pav).

Mundy as Captain will only survive if players like Suban, De Boer, Clarke, Mayne and Ballas remain at freo. Fyfe and Mundy was a close vote last season and i believe that Fyfe represents the young players and Mundy was representing the oldies. That is why Mundy came out a few days ago and said he thinks it will be a quick rebound compared to Ross who said it will be closer too four years.

The reason this is important is because Ross from those comments (and other comments he has made about Fyfe eventually becoming the captain at freo) is showing that he is on the longer rebuild side of the equation and as such views Fyfe as the next captain.

However the equation (which was slightly in Mundy's favour last year) i believe will turn slightly in Fyfe's favour next year, with a few of the Oldies getting axed in favour of more youth the scales will flip.

Personally i think Fyfe is the right choice next year because Fyfe represents 'the next generation' and i believe we need a new captain to take us forward with our new group of younger players.

This is not to take away from Mundy who will for me always be one of my most loved freo players. He put in such an enormous effort to help us this year as captain and he definitely did it to the best of his ability. At the end of the day if the captaincy comes down to a vote it becomes more of a political contest which in some ways is better than a popularity contest however it means that ruthless decisions will be made if there isn't an absolute obvious choice for the captaincy (ala Pav).
I'd say Mundy's comments are more indicative of the fact that he knows that if we aren't competing at a high level really soon then he wont be around for our next flag tilt. Ross's comments are him trying to quell expectation.

Does Fyfe the captain become like Mundy the captain? It's not just leading by example and just playing your best footy, you are the one in charge of executing the plan from the coaches box, with assistance of leaders from each section of the field. Mundy's game suffered, he is not one to have drops in form, it stands to reason that the additional on ground duties was a bit much for his game. Pav himself said 2 years ago that he was relieved to be able to relinquish the duties so that he can concentrate on his game (context I guess, being his age and it taking more to play effectively as he was slowing down by a whisker or two).

The particular issue we have with Fyfe's leg this year, was that it was when he was supposed to be doing his captaincy apprenticeship. Yes, it was a terrible thing that our brownlow medalist wasn't on the field, for both him and us and our 2016 season, but we and he don't know if he will be able to effectively be a captain next year, it will be straight into the deep end of the pool.

I can't help but feel Fyfe is the sort of player that would thrive on having the captaincy. You can see he wants it. I also think that if he doesn't get it, he is a real chance of going to another team where he will get it. For quite some years now I picture Fyfe capable of doing a similar Voss vs Burns 2002 GF type act ( for those not familiar with that ... ). That's what a team wants from a captain. Fyfe is one of the very few players in the league capable of that type of thing.

I find Mundy a really strange player. Really sucked early on in his career. Got into elite form around 2010-2013 where he seemed to go to another level come finals time. I was at the game v. the dogs and most of his kicks went out of bounds or completely missed the target. Have no idea what happened to him. I was trying to work out if his leg was injured and he was kicking on his non-preferred - His kicking was that bad.

I'm really not sure that mundy being voted out as captain in just one year of the job would be the best look for the club at the moment...wouldn't be the best look on mundy and the confidence of his team to lead. I actually would like to see Walters as captain if anyone. Fyfes body language at times during games can be bog average when it's not going right.

Fyfe as the captain is what the club needs. Mundy can slot back into his role and take the captaincy weight off his soldiers. He didn't handle it well at all this year.

And I disagree with Fyfe's body language during games. Fyfe stands up when needed. Can't say the same about Mundy this year.

All in for Fyfe as the captain 2017.

Fyfe as the captain is what the club needs. Mundy can slot back into his role and take the captaincy weight off his soldiers. He didn't handle it well at all this year.

And I disagree with Fyfe's body language during games. Fyfe stands up when needed. Can't say the same about Mundy this year.

All in for Fyfe as the captain 2017.
I disagree completely with fyfe is the automatic choice. Hoping you attend games to make the assessment of fyfes body language.

Does Fyfe the captain become like Mundy the captain? It's not just leading by example and just playing your best footy, you are the one in charge of executing the plan from the coaches box, with assistance of leaders from each section of the field. Mundy's game suffered, he is not one to have drops in form, it stands to reason that the additional on ground duties was a bit much for his game. Pav himself said 2 years ago that he was relieved to be able to relinquish the duties so that he can concentrate on his game (context I guess, being his age and it taking more to play effectively as he was slowing down by a whisker or two).

The particular issue we have with Fyfe's leg this year, was that it was when he was supposed to be doing his captaincy apprenticeship. Yes, it was a terrible thing that our brownlow medalist wasn't on the field, for both him and us and our 2016 season, but we and he don't know if he will be able to effectively be a captain next year, it will be straight into the deep end of the pool.
Well said

I disagree completely with fyfe is the automatic choice. Hoping you attend games to make the assessment of fyfes body language.
I disagree just because of body language ,fyfe should not be consider as captain , the guy only 24 , there is always a challenge for him to improve whether body language , skill . If he turn out to be mundy then at least he is given a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back