List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Inner Sanctum Thread. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That extra live pick in this year's draft suggests that we will either be delisting/trading another player or on-trading those picks back into the first round. Not enough list spots otherwise.

So that we have traded our next years 2nd does that mean under the rules we can't trade either 2017 1st round pick this year?

We can on-trade the Hawks pick this year, but we can't do anything with our 1st round pick until next year's trade week....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think about this for a second.

If Hawthorn implode and finish 9th next year (giving them pick 10 in next year's draft- which is now ours) it will mean that they've essentially given us picks 23 and 36 for "free"- not to mention that pick 10 in next year's supposedly stronger draft could be worth more than pick 10 in this years is!

Its like if we'd traded for a dud Freeman twice.

So guys question is assuming we don't trade on 23 and 36, who do we go for in the draft this year?

VueTYGt.gif

Bainsy has done a lot of brilliant trades in his time at the club, I think that's the best of the lot. I've said privately to a few that I'd trade 10 for 2 picks in the 20s, we've just traded it for a top 15 pick in the 2017 Superdraft AND 2 picks in the top 40. If we want Heeney or Kelly next year, we have the currency. If we want to add 2 guns in a Superdraft, we have the currency. Either way I wouldn't get too attached to the pick, with GWS setting up for another Academy haul next year I wouldn't be surprised if they offered us 15 + extra for the Hawks pick. Could turn 10 into 15 + 23 + 36 + 37, that's simply genius.

Moorabbin Ghost is spot on re Mitchell deal being a cap dump. Similarly, the Bird trade to Essendon was a cap dump, so whenever an Essendon fan brings up the Carlisle deal, remind them they didn't "also get Bird", they were told to take on Bird's contract (which mightve cost them Stevens and very nearly cost them Laverde!)

sunny3193 you are quickly becoming one of my favourite posters! I loved your first post about us wanting to acquire picks, and as I said to Stavro at the time, the one comment I kept thinking back to is Ameet noting last year that there was a large increase in the supply of picks on the market. The economist in him would've told him this year is the perfect year to trade for picks (as the effective price of picks is extremely low), in that everyone wants players players players.. Well now he's gone BANG and set us up to fix the midfield for a long, long time.
Good to see you posting mate. Always enjoyed your insight.

No chance, O'meara won't play. Vidkery will be ok but I can't understand why they're paying him so much.

Also:

No Lewis, no mitchell. (Top 2 contested possession players gone)

They add mitchell who is a gun but that isn't going to keep them alive. They were extremely fortunate to get into top 4 this year. Even if Roughead plays I don't think it's possible.
B hill gone also

Think about this for a second.

If Hawthorn implode and finish 9th next year (giving them pick 10 in next year's draft- which is now ours) it will mean that they've essentially given us picks 23 and 36 for "free"- not to mention that pick 10 in next year's supposedly stronger draft could be worth more than pick 10 in this years is!

Exactly what I was going to say. I won't bother now.

That's the thing though. We haven't canned the Hawks. This is truly a win win trade if ive ever seen one. They get JOM and we have 2 bloody good picks next year.
I disagree. They will get JOM now but have given up even more than they had to. Seems a strange trade, but I get it they really want JOM. Anyway, regardless of the Hawks, it's a good one for us, puts us in a very strong draft position next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back