List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they learn which I would be sure the club have been trying to do how does another tall play in the forward line?

Bruce or Membrey plays higher up so Paddy & Hick/Billy/Lew play deep?

If Roo isn't in the equation, we'll need a mix of the 3 tall forwards pushing up onto the wing (& beyond) to give defenders a target.

It's not really that different from when Hickey has pushed forward this year except we'll have another 200cm blokes able to play behind the ball.

Taken Carlisle away from a KPD post to ruck doesn't make much sense to me. What if he's giving Jeremy Cameron a bath and Cameron gets going while JC is relieving in the ruck?
Then put Bruce or Goddard in there instead?

No-one's suggesting it's the perfect answer, but since we traded away our perfect type answer (Rhys Stanley) and then didn't draft a potentially even more perfect one (Peter Wright) it's most likely the best answer, I would have thought and the best answer beats all the others.

he did it last year u lemon

And that worked so well Hickey was dropped twice. He tried. It failed. He isn't dumb enough to do it again baring injury or a complete loss of form. People who understand the game can see that.

The amazing thing is those wanting to play 2 rucks obviously haven't rated Hickeys year because he would have to mainly play forward as Longer cannot mark the ball and is way to slow to play forward. I rate Hickeys year very muchly and I don't want him moved next year.

Longer has stagnated because he wasn't getting a game?
Or maybe the real reason is that Bill has had a shoulder reco which is always a really tough injury for rucks, a hand injury and then a severe concussion with associated serious side affects all in the last 12 months.
Facts? You posted facts on BF? Shame on you! It ruins all of these conspiracy theories, 99.9% of which are just that.

Bruce or Membrey plays higher up so Paddy & Hick/Billy/Lew play deep?

If Roo isn't in the equation, we'll need a mix of the 3 tall forwards pushing up onto the wing (& beyond) to give defenders a target.

It's not really that different from when Hickey has pushed forward this year except we'll have another 200cm blokes able to play behind the ball.
I get playing Bruce higher up the ground but Membrey? Your actually taking goals away by doing that.
Im not sold on 2 rucks playing. Not sure if its necessary tbh.

Longer has stagnated because he wasn't getting a game?
Or maybe the real reason is that Bill has had a shoulder reco which is always a really tough injury for rucks, a hand injury and then a severe concussion with associated serious side affects all in the last 12 months.

Sure, you might be right. I just don't see how he would have played seniors anyway with Hickey fit and in good form until Round 22. And if Longer was fit and playing full-time ruck at Sandy, I don't understand how Pierce would have developed, let alone Holmes. Four just feels like too many in this context.

Then put Bruce or Goddard in there instead?

No-one's suggesting it's the perfect answer, but since we traded away our perfect type answer (Rhys Stanley) and then didn't draft a potentially even more perfect one (Peter Wright) it's most likely the best answer, I would have thought and the best answer beats all the others.

Rhys is 80% ruckman 20% fwd.

I'd rate hick and billy at probably 90/10 at this stage, but could improve given they are younger.

Rhys was making the situation worse.

But yes a peter wright type would be ideal

Sure, you might be right. I just don't see how he would have played seniors anyway with Hickey fit and in good form until Round 22. And if Longer was fit and playing full-time ruck at Sandy, I don't understand how Pierce would have developed, let alone Holmes. Four just feels like too many in this context.

If he'd been pushing for selection its not out of the question that Hickey would have got rested. Hickey has played some fairly monstrous games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhys is 80% ruckman 20% fwd.

I'd rate hick and billy at probably 90/10 at this stage, but could improve given they are younger.

Rhys was making the situation worse.

But yes a peter wright type would be ideal

What we don't know is if Hickey's improvement around the ground ( including being a marking target ) would translate to him being a better forward if he played there.

I wonder if Rodney Eade coming out publicly and saying they'd want two top 10 picks if JOM was to leave will put clubs off having a real crack at him? That is way, way more than I'd be comfortable paying for him and if they're going to dig their heels in at the trade table I'd want us to give him a very wide berth.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Steele. Hawthorn are very clearly after young midfield talent (were reportedly the team that Richmond outbid for Prestia's services and were also meant to be strongly into B Crouch and also Tom Mitchell) and if they don't land any of those bigger fish you'd think they'd have a crack at Steele and Essendon are another club that might have a good hard crack at him, to be their Jobe replacement.

If all we were offering GWS was a 2nd rounder plus change, either of those teams could offer them something much more attractive (eg Hawthorn's first rounder, or Essendon's 2nd- around pick 20).

Last edited:

How do you know Longer wouldn't have been our ruck in round 1 if he was fit? He would have been, as said by our coach in interviews.
A 25yo Tom Hickey in 2016 averaged 1 kick, 2 handballs, 1 mark per game more than a 22yo Billy Longer in 2015.
They both averaged 29 hit outs.
Tom's been great this year, no arguments there but people underselling Longer's abilities and scope for improvement.
We are in a great position with our rucks, but when you have a young potential A Grade ruck who you've just re-contracted you don't trade them for anything.
I agree with Plugger though that only one ruck can play with all of Paddy, Skunk and Bruce in the team. its an issue that needs sorting ASAP.

I heard today we are sniffing around L Weller, anyone know anything about this RUMOR?

Lee and a 3rd rounder :thumbsu: get it done haha ;)... and no that wasnt part of the rumor.
We were sniffing around last year, but he's contracted and Freo are about to go through a rebuilds, so you'd think unless they get a deal for overs they won't be trading good young players out.

How do you know Longer wouldn't have been our ruck in round 1 if he was fit? He would have been, as said by our coach in interviews.
A 25yo Tom Hickey in 2016 averaged 1 kick, 2 handballs, 1 mark per game more than a 22yo Billy Longer in 2015.
They both averaged 29 hit outs.
Tom's been great this year, no arguments there but people underselling Longer's abilities and scope for improvement.
We are in a great position with our rucks, but when you have a young potential A Grade ruck who you've just re-contracted you don't trade them for anything.
I agree with Plugger though that only one ruck can play with all of Paddy, Skunk and Bruce in the team. its an issue that needs sorting ASAP.

Really if you are using stats to try and justify Longer's year last year to Hickey's this year then I give up. Just look at how both have played and how one actually helped the club much more around the ground. I think I might use the B and F and where they both finished at the end of the season especially in a season where we had much better players than last year. And I'm glad you agree with me on that but I'm still stuffed how the club sort it out. The only option is pushing Bruce back but that's really just making the forward line weaker.

And how does Longer become A grade if Hickeys plays as well next season as this? Unfortunately I don't see anything A grade about him apart from hoping because he is young he will improve. 6 out 19 10 possession games last year compared to 18 out of 20 got Hickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back