List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would rather have kept Curren, and fisher is a champion of our club I'd rather let him go off in style. Lee has had 4 years with nothing so tell me why we give him a 5th?

I'm not saying we should give Tom Lee a fifth year. I am suggesting that having him on the list for the past two years (which you objected to) has not held us back in any way. There are no obvious replacements that we were in a position to draft or retain on our list in his place. I agree Sam is a champion of the club and he has earned the right to a proper send off but the way our list was with KPD at the end of the season meant we had to keep both him and Tom hanging until we saw who we attracted to the club. Now with Nathan Brown joining the Saints we might need to let them both go.

I am Tom Lee advocate so I am sticking up for him. Everyone who pulls on the Red White and Black deserves our respect. They all try hard. Some make and some don't . If they don't make it a s regular first team player it doesn't mean they are totally useless.

Reading other posts on this thread, it seems that to make room to draft three players (23, 36 & 61) and promote Jason Holmes from the rookie list we need to delist all of the currently uncontracted players.

You'd like to see Tom Curren & Sam Fisher retained on the list. I like to see those two and Tommy Lee retained but the reality is we probably don't have room for them.

He is at his second AFL club, totally agree would be a gun at lower level, but if we only have him because he is a good guy is a joke we've had him 4 years. Times up

Might well be but he's still a listed player and he doesn't really need to hear he offers * all or how ever you phrased it. He's a good bloke and if you met him you would probably phrase the way you said it a bit more gently. Every year he's gone back and worked through a list of tips the coaches have given him, he's been talked to by other clubs early but backed himself in and waited for injuries or match ups, he's gone to the backline with out complaining, he's battled injury and worked to increase his fitness. He could be a s**t bloke and have done the same amount and still deserved respect, he's never done anything but try to make himself a place at our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NOTHING football related is unique to aboriginals, what a ridiculous comment.

I remember reading an article once on racial physiology and how it's not an area many are brave enough to study but the article was claiming that some racial backgrounds were more predisposed to certain physical traits which made them more adept at certain physical activities. Kenyans and long distance running for example and it mentioned how despite the dominance on athletics there weren't many people with African heritage who excelled in swimming. It might have been a bit of racist propaganda but kind of made sense. It's s**t for an indigenous kid who isn't ripped full of fast twitch muscle fibre that allows them to banana kick off one step anywhere near goal though when the positive stereo typing happens. I think we probably all have a touch of casual racism when we think we are being positive, you automatically assume an African American is awesome at basketball and Maoris and Islanders can play killer rugby.

I'd prefer an Ethiopian because they can run all day.

I'm hoping we can get some Sudanese kids from our academy, there should be a good amount living between Dandy and Cranbourne way and that should be our zone. I hate to be a casual racist again but they seem to have a predisposition to height and athleticism.

I remember reading an article once on racial physiology and how it's not an area many are brave enough to study but the article was claiming that some racial backgrounds were more predisposed to certain physical traits which made them more adept at certain physical activities. Kenyans and long distance running for example and it mentioned how despite the dominance on athletics there weren't many people with African heritage who excelled in swimming. It might have been a bit of racist propaganda but kind of made sense. It's s**t for an indigenous kid who isn't ripped full of fast twitch muscle fibre that allows them to banana kick off one step anywhere near goal though when the positive stereo typing happens. I think we probably all have a touch of casual racism when we think we are being positive, you automatically assume an African American is awesome at basketball and Maoris and Islanders can play killer rugby.

Apparently and I could be wrong, it has something to do with the angle of their pelvic bone.

The different angle inherent in athletes of African descent make the better runners.

I'm hoping we can get some Sudanese kids from our academy, there should be a good amount living between Dandy and Cranbourne way and that should be our zone. I hate to be a casual racist again but they seem to have a predisposition to height and athleticism.
I have as just being stupid. I don't care as long as they can play.

Ahh yes I would.

Culture/family outweighs a game of football

It's more than that even, some of the remote communities are so far removed from urban Melbourne you might as well recruit someone from saharan Africa. They speak very little English if any and they come from climates that are hot and dry for 10 months of the year then get wet and hot if you are north enough. They have no sense of time because they don't have regular employment or even places to go, they can go off for 2 weeks hunting with mates and come home when they want and no one notices. Try getting up to a regular schedule from that in cold weather for money you don't really have a great interest in in the first place and yelled at and heaped with pressure. The motivation for someone in a remote community is so beyond what we value we think they are primitive, some of them think we have s**t priorities.

I was joking before, but in fairness to Impatient Saint he could be right. It doesn't need to be to do with genetic predispositions. It can be to do with all kinds of environmental factors such as upbringing, coaching or lackthereof, the style of football being played back home and what style of football is popular among their families and friends, even weather. He was speaking admiringly of that style of play so no need to accuse each other of racism. It doesn't mean they all play that way, or that a white kid in that environment wouldn't. Some generalisations are pretty valid sometimes and the intent is important.

Apparently and I could be wrong, it has something to do with the angle of their pelvic bone.

The different angle inherent in athletes of African descent make the better runners.

This claimed all sorts of stuff like muscular structures and abilities to oxygenate the blood from high altitude living for generations etc. Was very interesting even if it was probably not very PC. You hear a lot about fast/ slow twitch muscle fibre that apparently is more predominate in certain races. Apparently Indigenous aussies have a lot of fast twitch fibres which is burst speed but burns fuel. Slow twitch is what the Kenyan high altitude long distance have more of so can do endurance stuff from memory.

Don't want to interrupt the political correctness party, but was at a local hotel for dinner tonight and had a squiz at the odds for next year and despite us finishing 2 wins clear of 10th, in 9th place this year, getting Carlisle back, having a big and talented young group (that ought to really benefit from another preseason) and having added some ready-to-go quality that fits our needs in Stevens, Steele and Brown, over the trade/FA period, we are equal-11th in the flag betting (at $34)!

Even Melbourne were ahead of us, at $26, despite the fact we passed them this year, they haven't played finals for 10 years and have very few in their team who have finals experience!

Very strange, especially when you consider how many "neutrals" have tipped us to finish as high as 4th or 5th next year in the 2017 ladder predictions thread on the main board.

Edit: Just had a look and Melbourne are also favoured to beat us in round 1, at $1.80 to our $2.00. WTF?

PS- Winx is $3.60 to win next year's Cox Plate. The others could start now and she'd still beat them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back