List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit of fun and Everyone so optimistic, but here I am wondering if we will land anyone of note at all..... Seems we are chasing a new player every week but we are front runners for none. Seems too scatter gun for me, I'd prefer we put most of our time into one player and let the rest fall, a la Geelong last year who were sitting 9th, which is where we most likely will end up.

Dogs are expected front runners for Hurley, Hawks for Crouch, Blues for Marchbank, Lions to keep Rockliff and no ones seems to know what O'Meara is doing.... Steele seems most likley so far but is he truely worth a 1st rd pick? GWS won't give us a simple downgrade for him. If we can somehow get a slew of later picks to trade them for him so they can use them for acadmy points that seems the best way

We also dont seem interested in any of the free agents even though theres a few key defenders. Rickey Henderson, even though he is a bit old, seems an exelent fit for us as a 3rd tall With Carlisle and Dempster/Gilbert (then Goddard) seeming likely to be the main keys for the forseeable future. Heck even one of the Brown brothers for backup wouldnt be a bad get! I guess time will tell aye
FWIW our board is just chatting about who is available and we are scattergun but I doubt the club is.

The club, or anyone really attached to the club, doesn't (isn't allowed to) bring up names so for all we know we might just have two genuine targets in our sights and they might already be committed to us in the background.

Media writers know that St Kilda, Richmond and Carlton are probably the 3 most active clubs at the moment when discussing the idea of a rebuild or getting new players in. They, like most gutter journos figure if they throw enough mud some will stick and they can then say, look, it was first reported in May this year!

All we really know if that we are looking for one key defender and a mid, names or chances are all just a guessing game from our end with the occasional piece of 'inside' info leaking out. Note that inside info can easily be a red herring, or complete bs as well. I believe we are also just a tool used by managers to bump up their players salaries due to the fact we can offer more than most clubs as well.

Patience is a virtue in this game, I have little doubt we scout many players, after all Hughes is on the payroll for a reason - but at the end of the day we will probably only seriously look at under 10 gettables and maybe two of those will bite.

All someone needs if for one person to say 'yeah we're pretty confident we are in the running for Crouch', suddenly he is off the them and its a given. Only have to look at Carlisle last year to realise it was a 'given' he was going to three different clubs.

Early days, we have the $s, we are heading in the right direction and we have a few holes - not to mention some very impressive individuals in Ameet, Trout and co.

My advice, sit back and enjoy the ride. These next few weeks are excruciating not knowing what is happening in the background but at least we are playing good footy to distract us!

FWIW our board is just chatting about who is available and we are scattergun but I doubt the club is.

The club, or anyone really attached to the club, doesn't (isn't allowed to) bring up names so for all we know we might just have two genuine targets in our sights and they might already be committed to us in the background.

Media writers know that St Kilda, Richmond and Carlton are probably the 3 most active clubs at the moment when discussing the idea of a rebuild or getting new players in. They, like most gutter journos figure if they throw enough mud some will stick and they can then say, look, it was first reported in May this year!

All we really know if that we are looking for one key defender and a mid, names or chances are all just a guessing game from our end with the occasional piece of 'inside' info leaking out. Note that inside info can easily be a red herring, or complete bs as well. I believe we are also just a tool used by managers to bump up their players salaries due to the fact we can offer more than most clubs as well.

Patience is a virtue in this game, I have little doubt we scout many players, after all Hughes is on the payroll for a reason - but at the end of the day we will probably only seriously look at under 10 gettables and maybe two of those will bite.

All someone needs if for one person to say 'yeah we're pretty confident we are in the running for Crouch', suddenly he is off the them and its a given. Only have to look at Carlisle last year to realise it was a 'given' he was going to three different clubs.

Early days, we have the $s, we are heading in the right direction and we have a few holes - not to mention some very impressive individuals in Ameet, Trout and co.

My advice, sit back and enjoy the ride. These next few weeks are excruciating not knowing what is happening in the background but at least we are playing good footy to distract us!

Like a good game of poker. All bluff and no blink.
Make no mistake we are becoming a destination club. Last year, off the back of only six wins, 3 players chose us.

I really don't like the idea of trading the first rounder, I like Gresh too much already to want to give up the potential of someone just as good
Looking very likely we will keep it now when afew people said it was almost certain it was gone.
Could still see it used in a deal for Steele/Marchbank or someone if we got one back

I really don't like the idea of trading the first rounder, I like Gresh too much already to want to give up the potential of someone just as good

Without trying to state the obvious there's no guarantee we get another Gresham with our first pick.

If we could somehow get Steele & Marchbank for our first & change (future 3rd) I'd jump at it.

Looking very likely we will keep it now when afew people said it was almost certain it was gone.
Could still see it used in a deal for Steele/Marchbank or someone if we got one back

Why's it looking likely we keep our first? I reckon it's looking likely we don't keep it.

line in Happy Gilmore went something like "blah blah if Grizzly Adams had a beard"

and a random guy is like "Grizzly Adams did have a beard"

you said "next you will tell me Jack Watts has re-signed"

Watts has so Birdy said Grizzly Adams did have a beard

if I could remember exactly what was said in Happy Gilmore this would make much more sense. I did my best :D
Lee Trevino ain't no random guy! He is one of the worlds great golfers from the Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson era.

According to pop culture, Lee always regretted his cameo in Happy Gilmore, claiming if he had of read the rest of the script and seen the regular use of profanity he would never have done it. One of Trevino's many real life quotes was "If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron". Ironic because he actually was struck by lightning at the Western Open golf tournament in 1975. In fact Trevino has been struck by lightning 3 times in his life, and it probably cruelled his career in the end.

In my opinion that random guy was the greatest hispanic golfer of all time.

Just a note on gilbert, hes been fantastic and will be with us for another 2-3 years. 194cm attacks the ball likena. Madman and recently getting into richos defensive plan. He had 2 years off with injury hes pretty fresh. Same with dempster. Why show our cards now? Marchbank aint that good.

So Do we need to overpay for marchbank? Or hurley?
Carlisle 200cm
Goddard 197cm
Roberton 194cm
Gilbert 194cm, Dempster 191cm - 2 years
---
Lee 194cm
Coughlan 195cm

I say get steele make the focus next year for another midfielder free agent gun like kelly. Then in 2018/2019 use reiwoldt gilbert and dempsters money to get a gun KPD/Intercepting gun

Lee Trevino ain't no random guy! He is one of the worlds great golfers from the Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson era.

According to pop culture, Lee always regretted his cameo in Happy Gilmore, claiming if he had of read the rest of the script and seen the regular use of profanity he would never have done it. One of Trevino's many real life quotes was "If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron". Ironic because he actually was struck by lightning at the Western Open golf tournament in 1975. In fact Trevino has been struck by lightning 3 times in his life, and it probably cruelled his career in the end.

In my opinion that random guy was the greatest hispanic golfer of all time.
I got no idea who he is mate :p unlucky bloke by the sound of it!

Just a note on gilbert, hes been fantastic and will be with us for another 2-3 years. 194cm attacks the ball likena. Madman and recently getting into richos defensive plan. He had 2 years off with injury hes pretty fresh. Same with dempster. Why show our cards now? Marchbank aint that good.

Carlisle 200cm
Goddard 197cm
Roberton 194cm
---
Lee 194cm
Coughlan 195cm

I say get steele make the focus next year for another midfielder free agent gun like kelly. Then in 2018/2019 use reiwoldt gilbert and dempsters money to get a gun KPD/Intercepting gun
I agree with this strategy... spend this years first and next years... either this or, next or combined to get us a few more midfield options. Kpd and third talls can be taken as FAs or trades... i.e. lake, burgoyne, gibson, frawley etc. All hawks LOL.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Any two of Jack Steele, Dion Prestia, Tom Mitchell, Brad Crouch, Michael Hurley, Caleb Marchbank (listed in order of preference) and I'd say we have done well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a bit of quality available IMO and most will come at a reasonable price

Prestia - 1st round pick
Crouch - 1st round pick
Marchbank - Probably values at a late first rounder
Steele - Late first rounder

I'd be happy to give up a first for the first two (especially Crouch) or our first (plus steak knives) for both Steele and Marchbank.

Any two of Jack Steele, Dion Prestia, Tom Mitchell, Brad Crouch, Michael Hurley, Caleb Marchbank (listed in order of preference) and I'd say we have done well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be happy with one of those guys (I'd have Crouch first). I'd be over the moon with two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were to trade a future 1st for Steele or Marchbank (that is to say, individually), what kind of pick back do you think we would recieve. It seems like a good draft to be in the second round, and as far as our rebuild goes, youd have to say this year is one of, if not the last years that we would be looking to draft central best 22 players for a finals push, as far as our age profile goes.

I've asked on the GWS board about getting Steele & they suggest a future pick would be more appealing.

What about our 2016 3rd & 2017 first for Steele & pick 17? That would mean we'd have Steele & Carlisle ( possible Freeman too) into our best 22 plus retaining picks 10 & 17 in this years draft.

Why's it looking likely we keep our first? I reckon it's looking likely we don't keep it.
This is probably our last year for a while where we get a decent first round pick. Or top 10.

I'd be leveraging it to the max.

Question is if there is much difference between 9 and 18, because if there isn't then a downgrade plus player like we did last year is the way to go.

Load up as best you can when you can.

I've asked on the GWS board about getting Steele & they suggest a future pick would be more appealing.

What about our 2016 3rd & 2017 first for Steele & pick 17? That would mean we'd have Steele & Carlisle ( possible Freeman too) into our best 22 plus retaining picks 10 & 17 in this years draft.

Love that idea.

Draft a few more players this year and then put a wad of cash at the ready for a FA at the end of next year to get us ready for an assault in 2018 (hopefully)

Probably under values Steele though.

Love the concept but think we need a little more at our end

This is probably our last year for a while where we get a decent first round pick. Or top 10.

I'd be leveraging it to the max.

Question is if there is much difference between 9 and 18, because if there isn't then a downgrade plus player like we did last year is the way to go.

Load up as best you can when you can.

Prob one for the draft experts but if we were to use past drafts as a template there's generally not a great difference between a mid 1st & late 1st & as such I'm all in for moving down the first round to get Steele.

What are the rules on trading first round picks? Can we trade 2 in a row or is it "you need x first round picks in x years" kind of thing?
"Clubs must make at least two first-round selections in each four-year period. If they don't, they will face restrictions from trading any further first-round draft picks."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions

The best way to have your cake AND eat it too is to trade a first rounder in any year ONLY if you can get a later first or early second back. (If we trade it for an absolute gun outright with no returns then that's just eating your cake the once, which is fine too but it's not seeking to maximise the value WE can add to a player.)

Having a first round pick each year means we can get a player with a huge upside and back our development in to help him progress upwards from there without the expectations that an early draft pick brings. (Future picks should be a last resort IMO.)

Last edited:

Carlisle 200cm
Goddard 197cm
Roberton 194cm
---
Lee 194cm
Coughlan 195cm

Obviously haven't seen Marchbank play. Started the year keeping Nick Haynes out of the GWS best 22 team until he rolled his ankle badly in round 2. The kid is a bonefide gun. In 4 years time, he'll be Alex Rance-like in defence & he'll only be 23 yrs old

Also Kelly isn't a free agent til the 2021 season, so that's a long bloody wait.

That's a nice trade.

I'd even go as far as them keeping 17 & giving us Marchy too

2017 1st & 2016 3rd for Marchy & Steele.

Keep pick 10

Would be happy with either of those trades to be honest.

I dont mind that at all

One of fyfe/Martin/rockliff for free next year

Obviously haven't seen Marchbank play. Started the year keeping Nick Haynes out of the GWS best 22 team until he rolled his ankle badly in round 2. The kid is a bonefide gun. In 4 years time, he'll be Alex Rance-like in defence & he'll only be 23 yrs old

Also Kelly isn't a free agent til the 2021 season, so that's a long bloody wait.
To say he's a bonefide gun is definitely premature.
No guarantees over him at this stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back