2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

We need our midfielders being more defensive Merrett said this many times last year that would help massively in keeping our scores against a lot lower than last season

Our defense was poor for a number of reasons.

Lack of midfield pressure
Young Defenders
Costly turnovers that put of defenders on the back end
A tall, slow defense.

A game plan that required our tall slow defenders pushing up when we had the ball inside our forward fifty. Then we'd turn it over and they simply weren't quick enough to push back.

I for one was a not a fan of our set up one bit.

I don't think he would actually help.
Apparently our defence was OK according to you and don't need any help apart from frost for merret .Need help and depth to cover injuries not Paine or Hammelman to be in 22 or swapping hipwood or walker to defence.Number 1 priority for new coach stop leaking easy goals.Andrews ,Mcstay,Mayes need help for next couple of years cannot concede 130 points a game and improve our position on ladder

According to Fagan ball watching and poor positioning stood out in the vision he saw. Pretty damning at this level.
Coaching or lack thereof is what causes this. For someone who was meant to be a great defensive structure coach Leppa really had no clue. Fagan has been in a system that has excelled at applying pressure so I expect the Lions to be much improved in this area.

Apparently our defence was OK according to you and don't need any help apart from frost for merret .Need help and depth to cover injuries not Paine or Hammelman to be in 22 or swapping hipwood or walker to defence.Number 1 priority for new coach stop leaking easy goals.Andrews ,Mcstay,Mayes need help for next couple of years cannot concede 130 points a game and improve our position on ladder

If you look at why those easy goals were conceded, I think it can be fixed pretty quickly.

If you look at why those easy goals were conceded, I think it can be fixed pretty quickly.
Yeah lack of accountability from team defence and inexperienced defenders with little direction from coach.We've addressed one of these issues and game time may fix another.But to say 1 or 2 experienced defenders are a waste of time is rubbish. Fulfills a need in the short term but not at the expense of development for players learning their craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching or lack thereof is what causes this. For someone who was meant to be a great defensive structure coach Leppa really had no clue. Fagan has been in a system that has excelled at applying pressure so I expect the Lions to be much improved in this area.

All this stuff about poor defence overlooks the fact that we did a damn good post-goal defensive huddle.

Mind you, we had plenty of practise.

According to Fagan ball watching and poor positioning stood out in the vision he saw. Pretty damning at this level.
In the video game reviews put up on the lions site after every game poor positioning was pointed out a number of times so this isn't new news. It was something the coaches kept addressing but didn't seem to be able to get the players to improve. Hope the new coaching team get the message/tactical understanding across.

Yeah lack of accountability from team defence and inexperienced defenders with little direction from coach.We've addressed one of these issues and game time may fix another.But to say 1 or 2 experienced defenders are a waste of time is rubbish. Fulfills a need in the short term but not at the expense of development for players learning their craft.
You undervalue,the disastrous lack of forward and midfield pressure that made life hell for the defence.

Found this here

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2016-nominal-afl-draft-order.1136636/page-6

302552_b99cfc28a8146704b9d7b5f33f20f009.png

Would seem we did alright. Nothing compared to the new kids on the block, but.

Cant believe they traded away pick 1 next year.

Really hopeful they implode next year. Lose the faith in Kenny and throw the toys out of the cot.

North are the ones that stand out to me. Carlton at least traded in some young Giants and Geelong were hamstrung by salary cap, dogs won the premiership. But North have no such excuses. They did nothing much this year and haven't stored up picks for next year and yet have an ageing list.

North are the ones that stand out to me. Carlton at least traded in some young Giants and Geelong were hamstrung by salary cap, dogs won the premiership. But North have no such excuses. They did nothing much this year and haven't stored up picks for next year and yet have an ageing list.

I don't know if even North know what they are doing at this point. Expected them to try to get picks or go hard at some quality players, yet they did nether. Kick out 5 of the most experienced players at the club and bring in very little to replace them

Really hopeful they implode next year. Lose the faith in Kenny and throw the toys out of the cot.
You can feel it coming with his comments about the players at the end of last season, then a trade period of complete inactivity. Says to me they are having trouble with a coherent strategy going forward, player group isnt good enough, but did nothing about it.

You can feel it coming with his comments about the players at the end of last season, then a trade period of complete inactivity. Says to me they are having trouble with a coherent strategy going forward, player group isnt good enough, but did nothing about it.

Yeah, this came to mind for me as well.

Ken seemed to put it all on the players then tried to push a few out the door and failed. It's hard to see how that sets you up for anything but a fractured season when it's pretty clear that your coach doesn't have your back. Here's hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back