2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowzers. Ive seen some ridiculous player comparisons in my time. But this takes the cake. Bell has less talent then motlops bootlace. But has elite endurance and some grunt. Motlop has football nous and some speed. 2 completely different players altogether.

Agree with your comments 100%.

Motlop is a cutting edge player whose type in any side is very rare. Able to turn a game off his own bat.

Realistically, the prospect of anyone with his ability coming to us in our present state of disarray is most unlikely. Then again.

I'd be very keen on getting Boomer here as well- besides the real contribution he'd make to our running ability, I think his training and fitness levels would set a new bar.

Wowzers. Ive seen some ridiculous player comparisons in my time. But this takes the cake. Bell has less talent then motlops bootlace. But has elite endurance and some grunt. Motlop has football nous and some speed. 2 completely different players altogether.
I don't think lionshine was directly comparing the two.

Wouldn't mind have a crack at Dal Santo, gives us some experience in and around the midfield, and can move to the back flank and distribute.

Maybe not having his brother on the park, he's sharing in that frustration?

Perhaps, but on the occasions I've spoken to Cian he has been taking it pretty well. He is living with Harris Andrews, studying here in brisbane and has commented that he is feeling really well supported by the club.

I don't think lionshine was directly comparing the two.
He compared their fitness and professionalism in a round about way. Maybe not overall. He said motlop performs better then tom bell. And bells fitness and professionalism is meant to be top notch. Some players lack skill. Bell lacks alot. Motlop not so much. Bell shouldnt be in the same convo.

To add to motlop with people saying he would struggle in a crap side. Id draw comparisons to christensen. Similar skill set although christensen now plays a different role but i thought christensen has been good in his games.

If you read my post again you'll notice I didn't compare them...

He compared their fitness and professionalism in a round about way. Maybe not overall. He said motlop performs better then tom bell. And bells fitness and professionalism is meant to be top notch. Some players lack skill. Bell lacks alot. Motlop not so much. Bell shouldnt be in the same convo.

To add to motlop with people saying he would struggle in a crap side. Id draw comparisons to christensen. Similar skill set although christensen now plays a different role but i thought christensen has been good in his games.
The point I was making was we should be cautious due to the fact that his professionalism and fitness supposedly leaves a fair bit to be desired. I then went on to make the point that that shouldn't necessarily deter us from recruiting him though because you look at someone who does have elite professionalism and fitness in Tom Bell and yet he has half the impact on football games at AFL level that Motlop does. If anything I was saying myself that Bell doesn't belong in the same convo and that Motlop is by far the superior player.

As I said in my original post how could we say no to a player of his quality if he wanted to join us? I also said that I wanted him last year when he was OOC and if the opportunity to recruit him arose this year I'd be welcome to it. All I was saying was we should do our due diligence on a player who lacks fitness and professionalism. I don't think that's such an outrageous thing to hope we would do...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait David Swallow wants out as well?
Yeah, clear as daylight he does.

He'll no doubt end up at North or something as a direct replacement for Boomer. Meanwhile if we lost a player like that, we'd have to do it the hard way, while they get the easy bail-out.

I'd be keen to offer Dal Santo a spot with us next year. Haven't seen him play much this year, but he's an experienced head in the midfield, high standards and good skills. Wouldn't cost anything and wouldn't demand a high salary.

You guys would nominate bowes at pick 2 wouldn't you? At worse you get a qlder thats top 5 talent, or you force us to use our ealiest possible pick plus points

I call bulls!t on Swallow saying Cochrane's harsh words have made him think about leaving. He clearly wanted out and this is now a convenient excuse. It's clear the Suns have major issues with getting injured players back out on the field and these young guys like Prestia - O'Meara and now Swallow have obviously got to together and said enough is enough let's pack our bags. Don't put it past those scum bag player agents to be ringing Victorian clubs and telling them come get these boys.

Eade - Blight and Ablett are going to have to step up big time here to stop the tide. Going to be hard to trade players in when everyone wants out. We all know this with the Lions. Maybe the AFL might wake up and smell the roses and realise the QLD clubs need a player retention package otherwise this will just continue to happen especially with the new generation of "what can the game give me not what can i give the game".

I was talking to the Werribee assisant coach yesterday (norths reserves) and asked if the Lions should take one of their 4 players? And he said a catagoric NO.. said NDS was past done and should have retired last year. Said Petrie could barley complete training loads and was done. Said Boomer is fit as a fiddle but said catagorically he is not the sort of player you recruit for a mentor role, was unashamedly a 'me first' player and wouldnt handle that role. Plus ignores defense. Also said the media beat up is a disgrace and the players drove the process and it HAD to be done and was a no brainer.

After that i wasnt keen anymore.

And he said a catagoric NO.. said NDS was past done and should have retired last year.

I have watch DNS alot this year and seriously I would give up supporting the lions if we got him. Lazy outside, no second efforts, slow. I would have not played him as much as they have this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back