2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do trade out Rockliff, bringing in, say, a Barlow might warrant a look. Not in Rocky's class by any means, but comes from a club with high standards, provides some structure and experience on-ball and decent skills. Not a game-winner, by any means, but a footballer.

He'll be over the hill or retired by our next tilt, but would contribute in the mean time. Out of contract and out of favour, so wouldn't cost the world.

Bloke on the North board said Hansen to the Lions will happen.
So let me get this straight. The North board is saying Hansen for Brisbane is OTL, Freo board is reporting Silvagni for Brisbane is OTL, Collingwood board is saying Frost has already moved to Brisbane, Melbourne board is in raptures because Brisbane was foolish enough to take their whipping boy Dunn for a good draft pick, have I missed anyone? At this rate I don't think we'll have pick two to take to the draft. o_O

So let me get this straight. The North board is saying Hansen for Brisbane is OTL, Freo board is reporting Silvagni for Brisbane is OTL, Collingwood board is saying Frost has already moved to Brisbane, Melbourne board is in raptures because Brisbane was foolish enough to take their whipping boy Dunn for a good draft pick, have I missed anyone? At this rate I don't think we'll have pick two to take to the draft. o_O

Motlop, Towers, Delaney, sure there's a few more too. Going to be a few boys humming along to the team song when we get our first win.

Jack Grimes delisted.... there's a lot worse options out there.. was he that bad that he couldn't get a game with the Dee's? 27, mature body with 100 games... worth a second chance i reckon

Jack grimes delisted.

Maybe worth a punt?

Funny thing is:

CBF checking the exact dates, but pretty sure Melbourne drafted Grimes with the pick 14 we gave them for Travis Johnson. Which we got by trading Cam Wood to Collingwood.

Always thought we did well to get 14 for Wood but blew it on magic beans. Might get to reset.

If we do trade out Rockliff, bringing in, say, a Barlow might warrant a look. Not in Rocky's class by any means, but comes from a club with high standards, provides some structure and experience on-ball and decent skills. Not a game-winner, by any means, but a footballer.

He'll be over the hill or retired by our next tilt, but would contribute in the mean time. Out of contract and out of favour, so wouldn't cost the world.

Jack grimes delisted.

Maybe worth a punt?

Wouldn't be against either of these options TBH.....

Jack Grimes delisted.... there's a lot worse options out there.. was he that bad that he couldn't get a game with the Dee's? 27, mature body with 100 games... worth a second chance i reckon

Mature body or shot body?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mature body or shot body?

Seem to remember him being regarded as one of Melbourne's better players in their really dark years. Captain/ co-Captain for a year or two I think?

A bit of digging indicates he had back related problems early in his career( 2007, 2009) but I haven't found much on more recent injury history.

Mixed reactions on the Demons site:-

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/grimes-delisted.1147020/

Seems a big fall from grace so maybe he really is just "shot" or there are other issues that have impacted on his form over the last couple of seasons.

Funny thing is:

CBF checking the exact dates, but pretty sure Melbourne drafted Grimes with the pick 14 we gave them for Travis Johnson. Which we got by trading Cam Wood to Collingwood.

Always thought we did well to get 14 for Wood but blew it on magic beans. Might get to reset.
You'd be correct.

I've wanted us to look at Grimes for a long time. Would be the perfect addition to our backline. Let's not forget he was co-captain at Melbourne for a time, so there's undoubted leadership credentials there - something we sorely lack in defence

By all reports excellent in VFL all year. Definitely not shot. As a minimum would be handy back up for cutler and Mayes off half back.

Re the 4 players Irel mentioned I'd take in order

Frost - Hanson - silvagni - Dunn. (I'm assuming ain all cases we give up no more than no what we get for green)

Frost played regularly when Collingwood were OK and he played as a KPD and is a good age at 24 if he becomes more than just insurance while the kids grow up. Hanson and silvagni played OK in reasonable teams but are a older, more brittle and less key position.

Dunn played in one of the worst teams of modern times and got dropped when they moved up to 10th on the ladder, he is the oldest and smallest of them all as well.

Motlop, Towers, Delaney, sure there's a few more too. Going to be a few boys humming along to the team song when we get our first win.
We're trying to improve our culture , would t go near Motlop.

Footy Classified tonight

Rockliff is putting himself out there but getting no significant offers so it is looking like he could be staying now.
Hanley sick of playing in a losing team and looking at leaving.

The interesting point though is Caro said Montgomery might be heading to Lions as an assistant if he doesn't get the senior gig.

Footy Classified tonight

Rockliff is putting himself out there but getting no significant offers so it is looking like he could be staying now.
Hanley sick of playing in a losing team and looking at leaving.

The interesting point though is Caro said Montgomery might be heading to Lions as an assistant if he doesn't get the senior gig.

Zorko and Sauce had this season talked about how difficult it can get to back up every week when you are getting pumped. It must be tough mentally. Maybe Hanley isn't mentally tough. Sounds like a move would be good for all parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back