2016 trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been times where great players have been missed in the draft not sure if it happens anymore but it has happened

99% of the time its the rookie draft and not the PSD. Personally cant remember a PSD player (That had not played an AFL game) to be any decent.

The Dogs should do everything in their power to forward their first and/or second round picks this year for established players to make the team better, and Deledio is the man who could win them a flag off half-back. Your under-25 stocks are just that good, surely you can pass the first round just once (to be fair, they did that last year but got two 2nd rounders out of it). In 2009, the Magpies dropped their 1st and 3rd picks on a 29 year old Jolly and used their 2nd round pick in the draft on a 26 year old Luke Ball, and they were the missing links to a flag. Get yourself an established gun that can win you the flag, and I reckon Lids is the man if they can convince he and Richmond to negotiate. No one ever won a flag without risks.

2015: Hawks won the flag after not using a first round selection in 2014.
2014: Hawks won the flag after not using a first round selection in 2013.
2013: Hawks won the flag after not using a first round selection in 2012.
2010: Collingwood won the flag after not using a first round selection in 2009.
I don't disagree with this theory. But I'm not convinced Lids is the right target. Far to injury-prone. He has done another calf this weekend. The theory is great but it has to be the right player. No doubt a fit Lids would be perfect, we lost Ryan Griffen who is a similar type player. The main thing I see is that FAs might be more interested in coming to the Dogs as it appears we are in a good window at the moment.

I don't disagree with this theory. But I'm not convinced Lids is the right target. Far to injury-prone. He has done another calf this weekend. The theory is great but it has to be the right player. No doubt a fit Lids would be perfect, we lost Ryan Griffen who is a similar type player. The main thing I see is that FAs might be more interested in coming to the Dogs as it appears we are in a good window at the moment.

Agree lids would be a horrible move for dogs considering age, injuries and trade cost.

The draft has some perfect targets for dogs, although ideally they would love guys who could contribute sooner rather than later witherden and Simpkin sound perfect as good kicks , and Logue/scrimshaw as defenders.

They should target a ready ruck and ready key defender for the right price though.

If I was port I would have carlile on the table for the right price as we are well stocked for defenders and he would suit a team who needed a fb to challenge now while their young talls developed. Saying that though doubt Bobby would want to move, port would move him, or a team gives us enough value to make it worthwhile.

Agree lids would be a horrible move for dogs considering age, injuries and trade cost.

The draft has some perfect targets for dogs, although ideally they would love guys who could contribute sooner rather than later witherden and Simpkin sound perfect as good kicks , and Logue/scrimshaw as defenders.

They should target a ready ruck and ready key defender for the right price though.

If I was port I would have carlile on the table for the right price as we are well stocked for defenders and he would suit a team who needed a fb to challenge now while their young talls developed. Saying that though doubt Bobby would want to move, port would move him, or a team gives us enough value to make it worthwhile.
Not sure if you are suggesting we chase Carlile or not. I have heard rumours we are interested in Trengove. Carlile doesn't appeal to me as much as some others. I think obviously Hurley but if we weren't to be able to get him then Eric Mackenzie would be worthwhile chasing. He isn't going a game for WC and has been a good player over the years. As far as rucks go, we have been linked to Tom Nicholls and also Witts from Collingwood. It will be interesting in which direction they go. Our recruiting staff are first-rate and have barely got a pick wrong lately, do we trust them at the draft or look to trade in experienced talent.

Not sure if you are suggesting we chase Carlile or not. I have heard rumours we are interested in Trengove. Carlile doesn't appeal to me as much as some others. I think obviously Hurley but if we weren't to be able to get him then Eric Mackenzie would be worthwhile chasing. He isn't going a game for WC and has been a good player over the years. As far as rucks go, we have been linked to Tom Nicholls and also Witts from Collingwood. It will be interesting in which direction they go. Our recruiting staff are first-rate and have barely got a pick wrong lately, do we trust them at the draft or look to trade in experienced talent.

Hurley, Trengove or Mckenzie would be perfect for the dogs but would cost an arm and a leg and be hard to convince with Trengove contracted and wanted at the club, Hurley sought after wouldn't come cheap, and Mckenzie inbelieve is also contracted and would be sought after by clubs.

Dogs have young talls however while ok prospects not really top defenders, nor ready to help you as much as you need in 2017.

Having a ready tall defender to come in and take the big boys one on one while the others play as 2nd and 3rd key defenders and develop should be what the dogs aim for this season. And if a big name isn't available carlile is exactly what they should go after. Having said that I think it's zero chance to happen. Teams are very nervous about trading in or out a senior player like carlile. I don't think dogs would part with enough to make it worth ports while. If I'm assessing next year though , with an older hawthorn and cats and unpredictable west coast and Sydney, I'm thinking a ready fb, even if he only has a cpl more good years left and a ready ruck could be the difference between making the gf or not.

Carlisle has been kicking around in the two's for a lot of the year, because he struggles to go with the key forwards who will run hard both ways. He's a BIG boy, and I don't think he suits a modern game that doesn't have many big gorilla forwards anymore.

Carlisle has been kicking around in the two's for a lot of the year, because he struggles to go with the key forwards who will run hard both ways. He's a BIG boy, and I don't think he suits a modern game that doesn't have many big gorilla forwards anymore.
Jake Carlisle hasnt played football this year.:$

however, Alipate Carlile has been (when he actually played....)
plus he has been injured for 90% of this year.......:rolleyes:

I want the dogs to try their hardest to get Trengove, having him in the back line and Boyd in the forward line to swap with Roughead in the ruck will be ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to be completely honest, i wouldnt take much out of those rumours.
Seems to be happy here and is really loving his football at the moment in the ruck
Maybe so, time will tell, did hear the coach asked him to go back to the back line and he apparently said no i want to stay on ball in the ruck.

Jake Carlisle hasnt played football this year.:$

however, Alipate Carlile has been (when he actually played....)
plus he has been injured for 90% of this year.......:rolleyes:

Certainly been injured for a lot of the year. Played more SANFL games than AFL games, and of the two he played he was destroyed in one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back