News 2016 Trade News Compendium

My spidey-senses are tingling about this off-season being another big one so I thought I'd get this thread up and running.

Remember, this thread is for news articles/possibly tweets if half-reputable and discussion posts will be deleted - feel free to chat about the articles in one of the other relevant threads around here.

Collingwood backman Nathan Brown on North Melbourne's radar (Emma Quayle, Michael Gleeson)

Travis Cloke requested a trade on Monday, while ruckman Jarrod Witts has been linked to both Gold Coast and the Brisbane Lions.

Trade and Free Agency: The top 10 trade stories to look out for this October (Riley Beveridge)

TOM ROCKLIFF

Possible Destinations: Adelaide, St Kilda

Likelihood: 50%

Analysis: Speculation has surrounded the future of Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff all year. Although the player insists he wants to continue at the Lions, what ultimately happens over the next few months could come down to who the club appoints as its new coach and as its new head of football. Still one of the elite midfielders in the competition, Rockliff’s name has been linked to both Adelaide and St Kilda at separate stages throughout the season. A decision on his future looms as one of the most interesting trade stories to watch this off-season.

Manager says Tom Rockliff will stay with Brisbane Lions

Brisbane Lions skipper Tom Rockliff will almost certainly be at the Lions next year, according to his manager.

Speculation has been rife that the club would look to trade Rockliff after their disastrous season that cost coach Justin Leppitsch his job earlier this week.

But Stride Sports Management's Tom Petroro told SEN on Saturday that he is 99 per cent certain that the 26-year-old will be at the embattled club next year.

"Tom's preparing to be at the Brisbane Lions ... he's working on his program that he's been given by them," Petroro said.

"We're not going to talk to any other clubs.

"The key people that I deal with (at the club) have all got good relationships with him and are all really comfortable in wanting him to be there."

Petroro said reported divisions between Rockliff and Leppitsch and sections of the playing group were wide of the mark.

"Tommy and 'Leppa' had a really good chat on Monday night (hours after he was sacked) ... they had a really good relationship," he said.

"I think that at any time captains will have challenging relationships with their coach because that's part of their role.

"There are times where they'll butt heads. I reckon there were a few weeks when Tom and 'Leppa' haven't agreed on things but I can tell you when it ended they had a really good relationship."

Rockliff had been actively seeking to extend his current contract, that ends at the end of next season, but fuelled speculation of a possible move when he withdrew a contract offer mid-year.

"It's been widely reported throughout the year that we had some troubles trying to re-contract Tom," Petroro said.

"'Leppa' was calling me and telling me that I had to get (the deal) done because it was important for the footy club.

"The biggest issue was we never received a counter-offer so I was negotiating with myself and then I put another (offer) in and didn't get one back."

Petroro said he was comfortable with where Rockliff's contract situation siat after conversations with Lions chief executive Greg Swann.

Lions small forward open to trade

BRISBANE Lions small forward Josh Green is understood to be open to a trade as he ponders a fresh start to revitalise his AFL career.

The talented 24-year-old battled for goalscoring opportunities in 2016 as the club blooded inexperienced key forwards and struggled to move the ball inside 50.

He had a delayed pre-season due to a foot injury and never found the continuity that had defined his previous three seasons.

He kicked just 11 goals in 10 games after kicking 82 goals in 53 games between 2013 and 2015. In 2014 he was the club's leading goalkicker with 33 goals.

Cold Frost catches interest of Brisbane Lions

THE BRISBANE Lions are monitoring the progress of uncontracted Collingwood defender Jack Frost as it seeks to add key defenders to the list.

Frost is among several options the Lions are understood to be interested in during the upcoming trade period after identifying a need for more experience in defence.

The Magpie did not play a senior game after round 12 but has racked up 54 at the highest level since arriving at the club as a rookie in 2013.

The 24-year-old suffered an ankle injury in the VFL final against Williamstown on Saturday, but X-rays cleared him of any break and he remains in line to play for the Magpies in the VFL preliminary final in a fortnight.

Frost has been a good performer in the VFL and looked a class above that level at times, having struggled early after an interrupted pre-season due to a hip problem.

Whether a move north would be attractive to Frost remains to be seen as he is focused on VFL finals.

Trade state of play: What moves will your club make in the off-season?

Who's definitely on the table?
After problems retaining players in recent years, this is one area that's been arrested – no player has specifically asked to be traded at the moment.

Anyone else?
Small forward Josh Green is believed to be exploring his options after a difficult season hampered by injury (foot) and poor form. Captain Tom Rockliff's name has been bandied around, with a reported nibble from Adelaide earlier in the year, but there's nothing concrete at this stage.

Who are they targeting?
Although not outwardly chasing names at this stage, the Lions are desperate for key defenders to bolster a weak part of the ground. Don't be surprised if they hunt the likes of Eric Mackenzie, Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn or even throw a lifeline to discarded Kangaroo Michael Firrito to help their youngsters for a season or two.

Probably leans towards the more "speculative" side of things but here's Brett Anderson's comments today (from about 10 minutes in):

Transcript:

My understanding on that is that they've got a key defender in their sights and they're pretty confident of getting, just who that is, look there's some names out there: Eric Mackenzie, Mitch Brown over at West Coast as well. Jack Frost at Collingwood's [sic] name Matty that you raised with Brisbane a few weeks ago. So there are a few out there and my understanding is that Brisbane is confident that they've got one key defender already locked away.

Melbourne defender Lynden Dunn on Brisbane Lions’ radar (Jay Clark)

MELBOURNE defender Lynden Dunn could be headed to Brisbane to help shore up the Lions’ key defensive stocks.

The Demons’ veteran will meet Lions’ officials about a possible move north after the VFL grand final on Sunday.

Brisbane list chief Peter Schwab has told the Herald Sun Dunn, 29, was one of several backmen the club was looking at.

Dunn was second best for Casey Scorpions in their preliminary final win over Williamstown on Sunday, but has played only four senior games for Melbourne this season.

“Certainly we are looking at some players who can fill the key defensive roles,” Schwab said.

“Unfortunately Daniel Merrett and young Justin Clarke have retired and that has left us a bit short in that part of the ground.”

Dunn is contracted for one more season at Melbourne, but is considering a move elsewhere to reignite his AFL career.

Brisbane and Melbourne would have to agree to a trade to poach Dunn.

It is believed those negotiations have not yet begun.

The 192cm defender, who was taken with pick No.15 in the 2004 national draft has played 165 senior games over 12 AFL seasons, has fallen behind Tom and Oscar McDonald and Sam Frost in the pecking order at Melbourne, despite a strong season playing 22 games in 2015.

He finished 10th in the Demons’ best and fairest last season but has fallen out of favour this year.

The stopper would help provide a strong body, some durability and leadership to an inexperienced Brisbane back line next season.

Brisbane Lions willing to trade talented Irishman Pearce Hanley to assist rebuild with Gold Coast Suns interested (Jake Niall)

THE Brisbane Lions are willing to trade talented Irishman Pearce Hanley to assist their rebuild.

Hanley, who turns 28 in November, is on the radar of a couple of clubs including Gold Coast. The Lions would be willing to trade him for a draft pick inside the top ten.

While there has been speculation about skipper Tom Rockliff’s future with Brisbane, as yet no club has put in a bid for Rockliff, whose captaincy has been heavily scrutinised this year.

Hanley is contracted for 2017 on a significant deal and would have to be amenable to the trade. He has not yet indicated a wish to leave the Lions, who are keen to get additional draft picks as part of their long-term strategy.

Josh Green is expected to leave the Lions and has been linked to Essendon, but the Bombers have not yet committed to the small forward and he is only one of a number of options they are pursuing from other clubs.

Hanley is a potential trade option because he holds appeal to other clubs and at nearly 28, he is unlikely to be part of the next successful Brisbane side. The Suns are understood to be interested and are under pressure to bring in experienced players.

Lion 'a long way' from being traded, says manager

PEARCE Hanley is "a long way" from leaving the Brisbane Lions but his manager Paul Connors says the club should consider all options during the upcoming NAB AFL Trade Period.

The Lions half-back has been linked to a possible move away from the club as it looks to add more top-end draft picks in a bid to fast-track a rebuild.

Hanley struggled for form at stages throughout the Lions’ dismal season, but has star qualities and had back-to-back top-three finishes in the club's best and fairest in 2012-13.

Connors said it was unlikely a move would be made for Hanley to exit the Lions, who presently hold pick No.2 for November's national draft, particularly given the Irishman's brother Cian is on the club's rookie list. But the influential player manager didn't rule it out.

"I think more than likely he'll be there but trade month is a funny period," Connors said on Tuesday at the launch of NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"He's been away. He's an extremely loyal young man and his brother plays at the club, so it would have to be something that enticed both parties for him to leave.

"I've barely spoken to him. I got a text from him yesterday saying he's back [in Australia on] Thursday, so watch this space. He hasn't requested a trade and Brisbane hasn't asked me to trade him. It's a long way from happening."

Connors said if the Lions were looking to add more early picks to their arsenal ahead of the draft after a bottom-two finish this season, then they should explore all options.

"Brisbane is at that stage where they can really go hard and try to get as many picks as they can inside 30," he said.

"It would be remiss of them not to look at opportunities for some senior players. If a really good deal comes, Brisbane should look at it."

Hanley is contracted to the Lions for another three years.

Jake Niall on Pearce Hanley’s future

Several clubs have shown interest in Brisbane midfielder Pearce Hanley, despite the Irishman being under contract at the Gabba, says Jake Niall.

The Fox Footy reporter says while Hanley hasn’t expressed a want to leave, the Lions are prepared to look at anything that could see them receive early picks.

“As yet Pearce Hanley hasn’t said he wants to go but I know this is being very much discussed by Brisbane,” Niall told SEN Breakfast with Frank and Ox.

“They are willing to do it, but they would need a very good draft pick.

“They are trying to get more picks, I believe that will be the direction that when David Noble comes in and is announced as Head of Football they’ll go this way and I assume they will get buy-in from the new coach.

“I think it’s a sound strategy but you need to have the currency to trade a player.”

Niall says a switch to Queensland rival Gold Coast is a possibility, but clubs in Victoria are keeping an eye out.

“Pearce Hanley is 27…but he’s a guy who plays predominately outside, isn’t banged up, came over a bit late and didn’t play for quite a long time,” he said.

“If you compared him say to Brett Deledio it’s not a dissimilar situation except that he’s younger and I think he’s a little less fabric at his club.

“Gold Coast are a bit interested, they have a lot of draft picks, but there are other clubs, including ones down here that would have a serious look at it.”

He believes that were Hanley to depart it could help fasten up the speed of their rebuild and likened it to when Brendon Goddard departed St Kilda via free agency.

“History tells you that clubs that do this, they get out the older player and accelerate the rebuild and get more talent in a cluster…tend to get much more momentum upwardly as they come up,” said Niall.

“It’s a very similar situation to a Brendon Goddard or Nick Dal Santo.

“I would say the Brendon Goddard decision he was more of a fabric player at the Saints than Hanley is at the Lions and St Kilda got (Tom) Hickey for him who’s becoming one of the best ruckmen in the competition.

“Clubs that are brave in their list management tend to do better.”

Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff's road ahead unclear

The future of Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff remains in limbo, with the midfielder's name yet to feature in the Lions' trade talks with other clubs.

Although the skipper is contracted for next season, Brisbane's balking of his initial asking price when seeking a long-term extension has placed his future at the Lions in doubt.

Fairfax Media understands the Lions have had trade talks with more than half of the competition's other clubs but Rockliff's name has not yet surfaced in any of them.

The pending arrival of David Noble as the Lions' new football boss and the announcement of their next coach – a position in which Hawthorn's Chris Fagan is the hot favourite – will have a significant impact on what happens with the gut-running onballer.

Given how much things could change in the coming months at Brisbane, it remains a possibility that Rockliff could sign an extension at the Lions before the start of the 2017 season.

Rockliff's manager Tom Petroro has been on the record in recent weeks as saying he's "99 per cent (sure he'll stay)."

Adelaide's name continues to be mentioned alongside Rockliff's, but Brisbane is yet to be contacted by the Crows.

If Adelaide is to show significant interest in trading for Rockliff this year, it's unclear if they could fit him into their salary cap.

With Nathan van Berlo retiring and Ricky Henderson likely to depart via free agency, that in itself will free up close to $1 million.

Veteran midfielder Scott Thompson is close to agreeing terms on a one-year deal that will see him earn significantly less money than his previous deal.

But with some other long-term contracts believed to be back-ended, room for a large deal for Rockliff may be difficult to arrange.

If he remains at Brisbane for season 2017, there is no guarantee that Rockliff will stay captain.

The 26-year-old is known to be a polarising figure who was one of the key pillars in the removal of Michael Voss as coach.

During a tumultuous 2016 season that saw the Lions habitually belted and Rockliff accused in the media of poor off-field habits, Petroro rang the club and gave them an ultimatum to defend their captain.

Although Rockliff is contracted, the Lions remain open to the idea of trading him should they receive the right offer.

Star Brisbane midfielder Pearce Hanley will reportedly leave the Lions for AFL rivals Gold Coast

Brisbane star Pearce Hanley is reportedly set to be traded to Queensland AFL rivals Gold Coast as the club rebuilds in the wake of its woeful season.

The Lions and Suns have come to a mutual agreement for Irish midfielder Hanley's move down the M1 after nine years and 129 games at Brisbane, according to News Corp Australia.

The 27-year-old Hanley is one of the Lions' best players, but his form dropped off as the club slid down the ladder in the past two years under former coach Justin Leppitsch.

However, at the launch of AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday, Hanley's manager Paul Connors indicated a move to Robina was a long way from eventuating.

"I think more than likely he'll be there (at Brisbane) but trade month is a funny period," Connors said.

"He's an extremely loyal young man and his brother plays at the club, so it would have to be something that enticed both parties for him to leave.

"He hasn't requested a trade and Brisbane hasn't asked me to trade him. It's a long way from happening."

It's also been reported Adelaide head of football David Noble's appointment to a similar role at the Lions is close to completion following the Crows' semi-final loss to Sydney on Saturday, Fairfax Media said.

It will see the Tasmanian, who's spent more than a decade at the Crows after a stint as an assistant coach at Western Bulldogs, join the five-person panel to chose a replacement for Leppitsch.

Suns help Lions rebuild with Pearce Hanley deal (Denham alert!)

Brisbane’s ambitious makeover is coming together with Pearce Hanley set to switch to Gold Coast by mutual arrangement between the two clubs after being wooed by the Suns.

A new-look Brisbane — both on an off the field — will be revealed over the next month, starting with this week’s appointment of new football boss David Noble.

The reshaping of the Lions will also include a new coach, almost certainly a new captain and the loss of quality midfielder Hanley, who appears destined to finish his career on the Gold Coast.

Irishman Hanley, who has completed one year of his latest four-year contract, is tiring of playing in losing teams and is set to react to an official approach from the Suns when he arrives back in Australia this week.

I mainly quoted this article because I like the logic of this sentence.

Leppitsch was sacked last month, Hanley is heading out the door and captain Tom Rockliff will depart if the Lions can find a new home for him, which has so far proved difficult with minimal interest from rivals.

The Lions currently hold selections two and 20, and are expected to get a top-10 selection from the Suns in return for Hanley. Brisbane has also made a written submission to the AFL Commission for a priority draft pick.

Gold Coast are well placed to part with a top-10 pick for Hanley as they already hold selections 4, 9, 21, 22, 25 and 28, before receiving anything in return for losing midfielders Jaeger O’Meara to Hawthorn and Dion Prestia to Richmond.

The Lions would trade out Rockliff, a free agent at the end of next year, for a suitable deal despite his manager, Tom Petroro, saying earlier this month he was “99 per cent sure” the midfielder was staying put with Brisbane.

Sorry for all the chopping around, Denham pads a lot.

Rockliff set for new club (Jonno Nash and Charlie Happell :huh:)

Jaded Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff is ready to sensationally defect to Adelaide in a trade coup that could launch the Crows into 2017 premiership favouritism.

And the two-time best and fairest winner could play alongside Richmond's Dustin Martin, as the Crows look to assemble a formidable midfield.

Rockliff, from the Victorian town of Benalla, is favouring a move to the South Australian club, despite his manager, Tom Petroro, saying the 26-year-old is "99 percent certain" to remain at the besieged Lions.

Rockliff had sought an extension to his Lions' contract, which expires at the end of next season, but withdrew the offer mid-year, fuelling speculation of a possible move.

Negotiations waned as the Lions prioritised its search for a new senior coach after installing former Adelaide Crows football chief David Noble as its football operations manager.

Feels like pure speculation this article, but it adds to the picture I guess.

Who is your club chasing?

Pearce Hanley is set to be traded to rival Gold Coast with the Lions and Suns believed to have already come to a mutual agreement for the Irishman. The Lions are expected to meet with Melbourne defender Lynden Dunn, who is one of several backmen the club is looking at to bolster their defensive stocks, as well as Magpie Jack Frost. Captain Tom Rockliff, whose leadership is under review at the Lions, has been linked to Adelaide.

Silvagni in sights of undermanned Lions

Silvagni, 28, is uncontracted for next year and will play his final game of the year for Peel Thunder in Sunday’s grand final at Domain Stadium.

His management has been approached by the Lions, who are in the market for at least one key defender following the retirement of veteran Daniel Merrett. Brisbane have a dearth of quality talls on their list capable of filling back-line positions.

Silvagni is yet to be presented with a formal offer by Fremantle. His manager Nigel Carmody, from TLA Australia, confirmed he had spoken with the Lions.

“Brisbane have made an inquiry about Alex and there’s some interest there, but first things first we’ll get an understanding of what Freo’s position is post the WAFL grand final,” Carmody said.

Hanley hasn't asked to leave Lions: CEO

PEARCE Hanley has not told the Brisbane Lions he wants to leave, CEO Greg Swann says.

Following reports this week the Irishman was disgruntled and keen to move, Swann said Hanley had given the club no indication he was looking for a change.

Speaking on Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday morning, Swann said the Lions "haven't put any players up for trade".

"He (Hanley) certainly hasn't said to us that he wants out," Swann said

"He had his exit interview and is on holiday at the moment, but we haven't had any of those conversations.

"As far as we're concerned, he has another three years contract-wise, so we just march on and see what happens from there."

Hanley's manager Paul Connors said earlier in the week the 27-year-old was a "long way" from leaving the Lions, but conceded the NAB AFL Trade Period was a "funny" time.

Hanley had a disappointing season by his standards, but finished fourth in the Lions' best and fairest count behind Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson and Stefan Martin.

Brisbane midfielder Pearce Hanley set to meet with Gold Coast Suns

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Pearce Hanley is set to meet with the Gold Coast Suns next week as the Irishman explores the prospect of leaving the Lions.

Hanley, 27, is contracted for another three seasons but could be traded to another club for a first-round draft pick.

The Lions have not pushed Hanley out, but would be willing to look at a deal that involves a high-pick should Hanley decide to leave.

The Suns currently have picks No. 4 and 8 in the national draft and could well net pick No. 6 from Richmond for outgoing midfielder Dion Prestia.

The call on Hanley will need the consent of the new Brisbane coach. Hawthorn football boss Chris Fagan is the frontrunner for the role, which is expected to be announced next week.

Hanley was one of just two Lions to play every game this season but his output dropped significantly over the final five weeks to average just 15 disposals per outing.

Brisbane skipper Tom Rockliff has not attracted significant interest from other clubs as yet. Rockliff is contracted to the Lions in 2017 and is eligible to be a free agent at next season’s end.

Hawks tall in the frame for club switch

EMERGING key defender Kaiden Brand could switch clubs in next month's trade period after stalling contract talks with Hawthorn.

Brand is out of contract and AFL.com.au understands Hawthorn has been unable to make any real progress in its recent attempts to negotiate a new deal with the 22-year-old.

Industry sources believe the South Australian is sitting on an offer from a rival club given the strong demand for key defenders this year.

The Brisbane Lions, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Fremantle are among the clubs looking to add height to their backlines.

The link to us seems to be based on us needing key defenders rather than anything too concrete at this stage.

Trade period preview: Who will your club target and shop around?

AFL.com.au says: Tom Rockliff is contracted for 2017 but speculation about his future won't go away after talks for a long-term extension with the Lions broke down earlier this year. Adelaide has been the club linked most strongly with the Lions' skipper. Pearce Hanley is also contracted for next season but appears likely to move, most likely to Gold Coast, with the Lions seeking a top-10 pick for the dashing defender. Small forward Josh Green is also open to a trade, while out-of-contract defender Darcy Gardiner's talks with the club continue to drag on. After Daniel Merrett's retirement, the Lions are looking to bolster their backline, with tall defenders Jack Frost(Collingwood) and Lynden Dunn (Melbourne) among their targets.

Connors on Hanley: He would be very happy to line up with the Lions in Round 1, but if the deal is right, he'd look at it

Back