Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Due to a number of factors, support for the current BigFooty mobile app has been discontinued. Your BigFooty login will no longer work on the Tapatalk or the BigFooty App - which is based on Tapatalk.
Apologies for any inconvenience. We will try to find a replacement.
Log in to remove this Banner Ad
Who's in play?
Surely it's a case of who isn't in play? Skipper Tom Rockliff and speedster Pearce Hanley are the two big names available - should the right deal be offered. Rockliff had an unhappy 2016 but, so far, there has been minimal interest in the midfielder. Hanley, contracted for next year, has grown tired of playing in losing teams, and his frustration spilt over at teammates. The Irishman, who turns 28 in November, could net the Lions a top-10 pick. He has attracted interest from the Suns. Small forward Josh Green is also reportedly keen to pursue a change of scenery, and has been linked to the Bombers.
Meanwhile, Dunn will seek a new home after falling down the pecking order in the Demons' backline.
The 29-year-old has attracted interest from the Lions after only making four senior appearances this season.
"We've had chats to Dunny and he was obviously disappointed with the lack of opportunities this year, and probably off the back of Oscar McDonald playing down there, Josh Wagner coming in and Jayden Hunt played a lot of roles in our defence," Mahoney said.
"So his management came to us and said he wants to play senior footy and look at opportunities and we're supportive of that.
"If something happens through the trade period … we'll wait and see."
THE BRISBANE Lions are "open to everything and anything" during the NAB AFL Trade Period, but will not speculate on individual players.
With the futures of captain Tom Rockliff and Pearce Hanley the centre of much conjecture in recent weeks, new football manager David Noble was firm when asked about them on Tuesday.
"We're not going to comment on individuals," Noble said.
"That'll be our course of business, to discuss that internally and work our way forward.
"(It's) fair to say we're open to everything and anything. We're not going to put anything on the table or take anything off.
"Chris (coach Chris Fagan) and I will need to get our feet under the table and work with 'Schwabby' (list manager Peter Schwab)."
BRISBANE Lions defender Pearce Hanley met with Gold Coast on Tuesday as he edges closer to deciding his football future.
Hanley is contracted with the Lions until the end of 2019 but the club and player are open to a trade this year if a mutually beneficial deal can be done.
AFL.com.au understands Hanley toured Gold Coast's impressive new facilities at Metricon Stadium on Tuesday, with the Suns looming as his likely new home.
The Lions are believed to want a top-10 draft pick for the Irishman, who, barring an injury-plagued 2015, has finished in the top four of the club's best and fairest award every year from 2012.
The Suns are well placed to satisfy the Lions' demands given they hold picks No.4 and No.8 in this year's draft, with the latter pick most likely to be involved in a deal for Hanley.
The Suns appeal to Hanley as he would prefer to remain in south-east Queensland to be near his younger brother Cian, who is on the Lions' rookie list.
BRISBANE Lions skipper Tom Rockliff is expected to remain at the club in 2017, according to new football manager David Noble.
Speaking to NAB AFL Trade Radioon Tuesday, Noble said Adelaide had never been too optimistic about their chances of bringing Rockliff to the Crows. Noble was formerly Adelaide's football boss.
Rockliff is contracted until the end of next season.
"At this stage, we expect him (Rockliff) to be a player for us," Noble said.
New coach Chris Fagan was headed back to Melbourne on Tuesday after being announced earlier in the day that he was leaving Hawthorn to replace Justin Leppitsch.
Lions unveil ex-Hawk Fagan as new coach
Noble said the Rockliff connection with Adelaide was through the Crows' fitness boss Brett Burton, who formerly held a similar role with the Lions.
"He (Burton) and Tom had a really good working relationship and that seemed to be the connection," Noble said.
"There wasn't really any traction when I was at Adelaide that Tom was coming there.
"We'd had an idea of what the strategy was looking like, then with all due respect, I dropped out as the Brisbane job started to have a bit more traction."
Discussions are ongoing with out-of-contract pair Josh Green and Darcy Gardiner.
"There's discussion with both those guys at the moment going on. Schwaby's (list manager Peter Schwab) been in contact with both of those players' managers," Noble said.
ADELAIDE now has the green light to make a trade move on contracted Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff.
New Lions coach Chris Fagan Tuesday put no “hands off” label on the 2014 All-Australian midfielder as Brisbane football supremo — and former Crows football boss — David Noble tellingly declared he was “open to anything and everything” in this month’s trade talks.
Also telling was Noble’s statement that the Lions have made no decisions on senior players, such as Rockliff and Irish recruit Pearce Hanley.
But the speculation has intensified that Brisbane will seek to trade Rockliff — to satisfy its wishes for draft picks to rebuild the Lions player list — before the 26-year-old ballwinner could be lost as a free agent next year.
Adelaide is considered, particularly among other AFL clubs, as the lead contender for Rockliff. His desired pay may be the difficulty in closing a deal with the Crows where fitness coach Brett Burton, who has worked at Brisbane, is said to be a strong advocate for Rockliff to add to the Adelaide midfield mix.
Petroro: Unless something drastic happens in the next couple of weeks, I can't see Rockliff moving
Petroro: There's probably been times he's considered moving, but there's Lions in his blood
Petroro: I think the Fagan and Noble appointments are going to be really supportive and make Rockliff a better player
Frost's manager I assume?
COLLINGWOOD'S Jack Frost has nominated the Brisbane Lions as his new home, with the out-of-contract key defender set to sign a three-year deal with the Queensland club.
The athletic 195cm backman, who has played 54 games for the Magpies coming off the rookie list, fell out of favour this season and didn't play senior football after round 12.
As forecast by AFL.com.au in September, Frost was on the Lions' radar as they looked to boost their defensive stocks.
"Frosty has decided that's he's going to be joining the Brisbane Lions on a three-year deal, should a trade be done," his manager Ben Williams told NAB AFL Trade Radio.
"Obviously players want to play footy and they want to play senior footy and he was out of the team and didn't look like he was getting back in the team."
Frost, 24, is the first player to choose to join the Lions in the club's new era under freshly appointed coach Chris Fagan, although the groundwork for the deal was laid well before the ex-Hawthorn football manager took the reins.
"He (Frost) obviously had some interest with some clubs and decided that Brisbane's the best place for him," Williams said.
"Collingwood were very transparent all along and they wanted to keep chatting regarding Jack and they never made a formal offer and they said they may during the trade period.
"But Jack obviously wanted something a bit more solid and obviously when a club makes a serious offer for you they have an intention to play you."
CHRIS Fagan has based his draft and trade wish list on the need to improve Brisbane’s defence.
The new Lions coach has identified pressure small forwards and an intercept marking key defender as the holes that need filling on Brisbane’s list.
It brings Hawthorn’s Luke Breust into the frame.
The Hawks need to create space for Jaeger O’Meara and had previously floated the triple premiership forward’s name as a potential trade with the Suns.
They could also bolster their draft position if Pearce Hanley asks to be traded to the Gold Coast Suns and any interest emerges for captain Tom Rockliff.
Fagan is set to meet with both players this week to discuss their futures.
Brisbane needs a replacement for retired duo Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke and defensive forwards in the mould of Hawks trio Breust, Cyril Rioli and Paul Puopolo.
“Small forwards who can put pressure on, we have a lack of depth in that area, I’d like to find some from somewhere,’’ Fagan said.
“Another key defender is going to be critical, hopefully one who can take intercept marks.
“That was the value of Brian Lake, he would always take three or four marks that would turn defence into attack.
“They are the type of players we need to attract or develop.’’
In other trade developments, Adelaide have accelerated discussions with out-of-favour Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff, with the Crows given the green light by the Lions to speak to the 26-year-old.
ESPN last month reported Rockliff was being targeted by the Crows to bolster their midfield, long regarded as the side's Achilles heel since Patrick Dangerfield's departure.
AFL player manager Tom Petroro has opened up on the latest news regarding two of his clients rumoured to be part of the upcoming AFL trade period, Lions midfielder Tom Rockliff and outgoing Roos veteran Nick Dal Santo.
Petroro believes Rockliff will stay at the Lions, and considers the comments made yesterday by new Brisbane football operations manager David Noble that everyone on the club’s list is tradeable is only a general statement.
“I guess we’re in a landscape now where anyone is tradeable. I think in Tom’s case, his heart is with the Brisbane Lions and I find it hard to see Tom moving in this trade period,” he said on SEN Breakfast.
“I just think Noble’s keeping his options open. I don’t think that’s specific to Tom. Noble’s two weeks in to a new job, the coach was appointed on Tuesday…they’re probably just looking at the list.
“I think the coach came out yesterday and said they were after an intercept marking defender and a small forward. They probably have some wish lists but I don’t think Tom’s a part of that.”
Petroro says that no club has made any direct offers for Rockliff, and have only enquired for trade market research purposes.
“Not to any real detail. It’s not something we’re chasing. I think clubs enquire at this time of year just to check the landscape so maybe it’s because they can do something with Brisbane that maybe can help them but it may not necessarily be towards Tom,” he said.
“Some clubs have called to probably check what we’re doing but more as probably research as to what’s in the market.”
Brisbane chief Greg Swann says the Lions are willing to put the No.2 pick in this year's AFL draft on the table for the right deal.
The Lions are looking to rebuild their lacklustre list following another terrible season, culminating in the sacking of coach Justin Leppitsch who has been replaced by former Hawthorn football boss Chris Fagan.
"It's definitely on the table, and if it helps get us something we think is going to make us better, then we'll look to do that," Swann told SEN radio on Thursday.
Brisbane Lions chief executive Greg Swann has confirmed the club's pick No.2 in November's draft is up for grabs if a rival outfit puts the right deal in front of them next week.
"Our preference is we want to keep going to the draft and keep building from underneath – that's the thing for us.
"We think the last couple of years we've brought some really young, talented players in ... we've been able to pick at the front of the draft in the last few years.
"We're going to get more of it."
With youngsters Harris Andrews and Darcy Gardiner the Lions' only recognised key defenders, the club's back half is set to get a much-needed boost with out-of-favour Collingwood backman Jack Frost agreeing to a three-year deal.
Swann said that the club would look at bringing in "one or two" other experienced players in the off-season, but that Melbourne veteran Lynden Dunn probably wouldn't be one of those.
"With Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke retiring, we just felt that we did need a more experienced defender to come up," Swann said.
THE BRISBANE Lions are open to trading their prized pick No.2 for two top-10 selections at this year's NAB AFL Draft.
The rebuilding club holds the second pick in the draft after narrowly avoiding this year's wooden spoon, but will weigh up the possibility of shifting back down the order to double their early picks.
List manager Peter Schwab told AFL.com.au trading out pick No.2 to 'split' their top-10 haul is "an option to consider".
Greater Western Sydney looms as the club most likely to be able to provide the selections if its bid to trade for Essendon's first pick does not come through.
Bombers list manager Adrian Dodoro said on Thursday the club was more than likely to hold onto the No.1 choice, which will be the first time in the club's history it has held the top selection.
If the Giants are able to secure pick No.5 from Carlton as part of the deal that sends young defender Caleb Marchbank to the Blues, they could package that with their No.7 choice and send to the Lions for the No.2 pick.
The Giants are keen to get to the top of the draft to select a player before bids come on their highly rated academy duo Will Setterfield and Harry Perryman.
The Lions are believed to be attracted to the idea of two top-10 picks for their one selection with the chance it can fast track their rebound up the ladder.
The open nature of the top end of this year's draft pool means the Lions could potentially land two of their highest ranked players even with later picks inside the first 10.
Schwab couldn’t rule out a trade for Hanley or Lions captain Tom Rockliff on Friday as the AFL free agency period opened.
“Pearce has got a long-term contract with us,” Schwab said on SEN.
“He and us are exploring it (a trade).
“I think Pearce, to be honest, has a bit of losers fatigue with Brisbane.
“He’s been there a while and been frustrated that we haven’t had success.
“We haven’t categorically said we’re going to get rid of Pearce at all. It’s just an expression of interest from a few clubs, that’s all.”
The Crows are reportedly interesting in adding Rockliff to their midfield and Schwab wasn’t ruling anything out.
“The first step for Tom is to sit down with Chris (Fagan) and we’ll take it from there,” he said.
“Tom knows that a decision could well be made that we part ways or there’s a recommitment from both parties.”
Schwab confirmed the Lions had committed to Collingwood defender Jack Frost but hadn’t had discussions with Melbourne veteran Lynden Dunn.
Collingwood bid farewell to Travis Cloke, Jack Frost and Jarrod Witts at Friday night's Copeland Trophy and the trio is expected to find its way to the Bulldogs the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast respectively without too much drama.
Separately, Brisbane and the Suns have discussed a trade that would see Gold Coast take the Lions' pick 2 in the draft, in exchange for two picks inside the top 10.
Brisbane defender Pearce Hanley, who has met with the Suns, could also form part of that trade.
Gold Coast currently holds picks 4 and 8, and are hoping to acquire Richmond's pick 6 in a deal for midfielder Dion Prestia.
