Remove this Banner Ad

News 2016 Trade News Compendium

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #76
Suns, Hawks close in on Jaeger O'Meara deal

Meanwhile, Ashcroft said trades to lure Hanley and Witts to Metricon Stadium would be confirmed in the coming days.

"Pearce has been well documented. We're really confident with Pearce. He has signalled his intentions to want to come to our footy club," Ashcroft said.

"His manager has backed that up. Brisbane are willing to go through a trade with Pearce so it's now down to the finer detail of confirming that trade and we're hoping that's done in a matter of days."
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #77
Trade wrap: Tigers, Cats hit stalemate over Deledio and Caddy

Hawthorn would acquire another early pick if a proposed trade proceeds that would send Billy Hartung and Queenslander Brendan Whitecross to the Brisbane Lions, with one of the Lions' selections No.16, No.19 or No.21 likely to get the deal done.

Geelong's Steven Motlop, Brisbane Lions skipper Tom Rockliff and Port Adelaide ruckman Matthew Lobbe also remain on the market, but interest has been limited to date in the contracted trio.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #78
AFL trades 2016: Hawthorn nab top 10 pick, say Jordan Lewis wants to stay

Wright said there remained a chance the Hawks would need to call in a third club to ensure O'Meara's move, however he said there had been no discussions with the Brisbane Lions about contracted midfielder Billy Hartung, who has been linked to the Lions as part of a mooted three-way deal that could help O'Meara become a Hawk.

It's understood the Lions are also interested in Hawk utility Brendan Whitecross, who has a strong relationship with new Lions coach and former Hawthorn football department chief Chris Fagan. Whitecross, who twice missed grand finals due to serious knee injuries, triggered a games clause in his contract, meaning he is contracted to Hawthorn in 2017.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #79

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #80
Trade Wrap: Week one

The Lions waited until Thursday to make their first trade of the 2016 NAB AFL Trade period, swapping pick no. 2, 31, 51 & 60 for picks no. 3 and 16 with the GWS GIANTS.

This continues the Lions’ build of an arsenal of early Draft picks, with the Club now in possession of four picks inside the first 21 – picks no. 3, 16, 19 and 21.

“We shifted some picks forward which is really important in a really strong draft,” said Brisbane Lions Football Manager David Noble told lions.com.au.

Noble said the Club will look to maximise its draft position ahead of the National Draft in November.

“The first couple of parts of our strategy for both trade and draft have come together really well. We think we’re really well positioned inside of pick 21. We’re really comfortable with our position knowing we’ve still got two or three things up our sleeve to try to complete going into next week’s last trade days.”

Pearce Hanley is set to join the Gold Coast SUNS with the Lions open to a trade if the deal is deemed sufficient.

“We’re confident we’ll be able to get a deal that works in the Club’s favour come next week,” said Noble.

“He’s (Hanley) obviously made it clear that he wants to go to Gold Coast – we just have to make sure that we maximise the value of that (deal) going forward.”

27-year-old Hanley has played 129 games over nine seasons with the Brisbane Lions.

On Wednesday, Football General Manager David Noble and Senior Coach Chris Fagan met with the Club’s Captain Tom Rockliff and his manager Tom Petroro.

Rockliff who is contracted with the Lions has been linked to trades with several clubs including Collingwood and Adelaide

“It was the first chance we've had to catch up together and have some good dialogue," said Noble.

“It was an opportunity to talk and we had a wide-ranging conversation – Tom wanted to find out about our thoughts on the Club and we wanted to get his ideas.”

Darcy Gardiner is yet to sign a contract with the Lions. The 21-year-old is due to come out of contract at season's end but Noble is confident Gardiner will sign in the coming days.

“We’re pretty confident that looks likely to get done. We’ve had some negotiations with his management group and we believe we’re both reasonably well positioned place with his contract. We’re quite comfortable where that is at.”

Schwab confirmed on Thursday that Collingwood's Jack Frost would join the Lions, with a deal still to be finalised.

The 195cm backman, who has played 54 games for the Magpies after coming off the rookie list in 2013, fell out of favour this season and didn't play senior football after round 12.

He finished the season in the VFL before suffering an ankle injury that ruled him out of the VFL Magpies’ preliminary final loss.

Frost is expected to slot straight into the Lions’ defence following the retirement of veteran Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke due to on-going concussion symptoms.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #81
Trade wrap: Motlop set to stay at Cattery
The proposed deal that would send Hawks Billy Hartung and Brendan Whitecross to the Brisbane Lions for one of the Lions' early second-round picks, No.16, No.19 or No.21, is no closer to being finalised and could fall over.

The clubs still can't agree on elements of the deal, and one source close to the negotiations expected the proposed trade would be abandoned, a turn of events that would further complicate the Hawks' negotiations with Gold Coast on Jaeger O'Meara.

However, Gold Coast and the Lions remain confident they can finalise a Pearce Hanley trade independently of the O'Meara deal.

If the Hawks secure pick No.16 from the Lions for Hartung and Whitecross, that selection, among other things, would almost surely pass to the Suns for O'Meara. The Suns could then offer it to the Lions for Hanley.

However, the Lions and Suns are confident that with each club's swag of top-30 draft picks – the Lions have No.3, No.16, No.19, No.21, the Suns No.4, No.8, No.22, No.24, No.26 and No.30 – that they can agree to a suitable swap that sends Hanley to Metricon Stadium.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #82
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #83

Robbo:

Speculation about Rocklff to Melbourne unfounded (at this stage). Lions not heard from Demons. Looming he stays a Lion...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #84
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #85
AFL trades 2016: Big names in limbo, all eyes on Jordan Lewis

Hawk Billy Hartung and possibly Jono O'Rourke have been raised as trade options by the Lions. These players could be tied into talks between Hawthorn and Gold Coast over Jaeger O'Meara.

The Suns are working with Brisbane on a deal for defender Pearce Hanley.

There has been no movement on Tom Rockliff at the Lions, though the possibility remains that a club will come for him late.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #86

Daniel Cherny:

Brendan Whitecross set to remain at Hawthorn in 2017 despite interest from Brisbane. He triggered games clause to stay at Hawks.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #87
Struggling Gold Coast to emerge winners from trade period

The trade of Prestia and a second-round pick to Richmond will net the Suns selection No 6 and probably another later pick back. And in return for trading O’Meara to the Hawks, Gold Coast’s starting point will be selection No 10, which they will more than likely part with as an on-trade to Brisbane for Hanley.

The only downside is that if the Hawks don’t do any other deals, their first national draft pick is not until 57. They previously offered Billy Hartung to Gold Coast, then the combination of Hartung and the out-of-contract Brendon Whitecross to Brisbane for a second-round selection (No 21).

However, that potential deal with the Lions may not go through because they are struggling to trade Tom Rockliff out, and the contracted Hartung has indicated a reluctance to play elsewhere.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #88


Hammo:

Hanley off the the Suns. I'm hearing the deal is done

Hanley deal also involves Port and Brendon Ah Chee. Suns and Lions meeting now. Paperwork may not be lodged till tomorrow
 

Remove this Banner Ad

  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #89


Brett Anderson:

Hanley deal expected to include PA. Three-way player and pick shuffle.

Deal isn't confirmed...in fact some way off. Plenty of options being thrown up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #91
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #93
Trade wrap: Hawks' talks break down, O'Meara deal on hold

THE PROPOSED Billy Hartung-Brendan Whitecross trade to the Brisbane Lions has been abandoned.

It emerged late last week Hawthorn was working on a deal with the Lions that would have sent Hartung and Whitecross to the Gabba in exchange for one of the Lions' early second-round picks, most likely No.21.

Acquiring such a pick would have helped the Hawks in their attempts to broker a trade with Gold Coast for Jaeger O'Meara.

The Hawks secured pick No.10 in a trade with St Kilda last Friday and packaging that with pick No.21 would have been – at the very least – a strong starting point in their negotiations with the Suns.

However, that trade scenario is off the table now after the Hawks' talks with the Lions on Hartung and Whitecross broke down.

The Lions' desire to receive something more than Hartung and Whitecross in exchange for pick No.21 meant the clubs had work to do to get the deal over the line.

And when Whitecross, who this year satisfied a trigger clause for 2017, decided he wanted to remain at Waverley, the proposed deal fell apart.

Lions football manager David Noble said on Monday evening he was confident a trade sending Pearce Hanley to Gold Coast would be completed on Tuesday.

In a complex third-party deal still being finalised:

- Gold Coast would give up picks No.22 and No.30 and receive Hanley and a late pick.

- The Lions would give up Hanley and pick No.19 and receive No.22 and a future first-round pick from Port Adelaide.

- The Power would give up its 2017 first-round pick and receive pick No.19 and pick No.30.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #94
Brisbane midfielder Pearce Hanley set to join the Gold Coast Suns

The paperwork will be lodged on Tuesday for a three-way trade, which will see the Lions send pick No.19 to Port Adelaide in exchange for a future first-round pick.

The Suns will send pick No.22 to the Lions and pick No.30 to Port and Brisbane will farewell Hanley after 129 games. There is also expected to be an exchange of later picks.

The deal slightly lowers the Lions’ draft position but sets them up for next year when teenaged academy star Connor Ballenden is available.

The Lions appear to have been motivated by a desire to separate Hanley and captain Tom Rockliff. They have been open to offers on both but to date there has been no interest in Rockliff, whose stocks have plummeted this off-season.
 

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #95
Hanley joins Suns after complex three-way trade

IRISHMAN Pearce Hanley has left the Brisbane Lions to join Gold Coast in a three-way trade also involving Port Adelaide.

The exchange, as predicted by AFL.com.au on Monday, sees the Suns receive Hanley from the Lions and draft pick No.67 from the Power, while the Lions receive No.22 from the Suns and the Power's first-round pick next year.

The Power receive No.19 from the Lions and No.30 from the Suns.

The deal sees Port Adelaide with two first-round selections after receiving the Lions' priority selection.

Lions football manager David Noble says the club has a similar plan to the Power.

"As part of our trade and draft plan we have to take every opportunity to maximise our picks, bring new talent in and continue our strategy of building for the future," Noble told lions.com.au.

"Pearce has provided good service to the club over the past nine years, particularly coming to the Lions as an international rookie, but circumstances saw him want a fresh start.

"We think the deal is a really good result for us, and we wish Pearce all the best in the future."
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #96
Darcy Gardiner signs on

Versatile defender Darcy Gardiner has recommitted to the Brisbane Lions for another three years.

Taken at Pick 22 in the 2013 draft, Gardiner won a NAB Rising Star nomination in his first season and has played a total of 43 games.

The 21-year-old was due to come out of contract at season's end but is now tied to the Lions until the end of the 2019 season.

“We’re very pleased that Darcy has committed to the Club for another three years,” Brisbane Lions National Talent Manager Peter Schwab told lions.com.au.

“Darcy is integral to our side's defence, particularly after the departures of Dan Merrett and Justin Clarke, and he'll only continue to develop.

“Our strategy for the years ahead is to develop our talent and build a team that can win our next Premiership, and Darcy is very much a part of those plans.”
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #97

McDonald on Josh Green: He's got a lot to offer clubs, he's got a lot of footy ahead of him, but will be addressed after the trade period
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #99

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2016 Trade News Compendium

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top