List Mgmt. 2016 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they think he's a good coach and that's what it takes its not the worst, just tell him if a kid is playing to the same level then he will get his spot, if not it's his .. I'm not a huge believer in needing senior games to develop
There's plenty of examples of young blokes learning their craft at a lower level and coming I'm when they build their body up

Look at Kennedy from Sydney, reserves player at the hawks and explodes at the swans at 21/22
I think different things work for different players. Some players need senior games to learn, others can learn in the 2nds

If they think he's a good coach and that's what it takes its not the worst, just tell him if a kid is playing to the same level then he will get his spot, if not it's his .. I'm not a huge believer in needing senior games to develop
There's plenty of examples of young blokes learning their craft at a lower level and coming I'm when they build their body up

Look at Kennedy from Sydney, reserves player at the hawks and explodes at the swans at 21/22
Agree. Especially if he takes guys like ANB under his wing.

So I've got a theory. I think the club knows that if Grimes leaves through restricted free agency, we could get significant compensation for him (second round pick). Hear me out.

Grimes most recent contract was from 2013 (link to it below). A three-year deal during the Neeld era when Grimes was our captain and seen as a future star of the team. Now that hasn't panned out, but perhaps the figures in his contract don't reflect that. Restricted free agents are defined as "players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club". Now I know compensation is also dependent on how much the club receiving him is paying, but I still think his wage within our team could be high, given his suspected trajectory from 2013, thus impacting on his compensation.

He's been getting numbers that deserved more games in the one's. Their reluctance to promote him was because they knew he didn't have a future with us. Right now if he was to be traded on the market we wouldn't get the same compensation for him then as we would through free agency. Taylor and co. know we're going to get a good pick for him.

Just a theory, and I admit I could be completely wrong.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-12/grimes-keeps-the-faith
I don't think your last contract factors into it at all for compensation, it's entirely based on the new one offered which wouldn't be much for Grimes.

I don't think your last contract factors into it at all for compensation, it's entirely based on the new one offered which wouldn't be much for Grimes.

Correct.

If anyone takes a punt on Grimes as a FA (60/40 chance at a guess) it'll be on a pretty bare boned contract. I think we'll be very lucky to get a third round compo pick for him.

Age is also a factor and that should work in our favour seeing as Grimes is 27 and 26 is pretty much the youngest you can be a FA at the moment. Plus the AFL likes to keep the whole thing pretty opaque so they can manipulate the outcomes how they like. Assuming the club's relationship with AFL HQ is still strong I think there's a good chance of a third rounder.

Out of left field call:

Fact: we don't have enough leaders, competitors and example-setters.

Apparently Boomer Harvey has been on $200k a year at North...

I reckon we could do worse than to get an old guy to teach some of our spoiled little brats how to train, run, compete, kick goals, and earn their spot...

For $200k a year, I see a lot of positives..

Am I crazy???
Yes.

He is not a team player. He provides zero defensive pressure which is something we need to develop, so his example gets us nowhere.

Also:

He's a git.

Lolnorf

Cloke officially wants out.

Really just asking for posterity: any takers?

As silly as it sounds, I wouldn't be against it as long as the Pies pay his salary and we don't pay too much trade-wise.

He's a much-maligned figure but he's a fair upgrade on Pedo and Dawes and would be a perfect foil to take the pressure off Jesse and Weid for a couple of years.

If Pedo was really to go elsewhere, I might say give him a year if it doesn't cost much - what's the harm? But after Dawes and Lumumba I'm a bit over the ex-premier Pies.

So it seems he is going to the dogs either literally or figuratively. I'll have a sfellow if he kicks a bag against the Buckley all stars though :D

He'll take the spotlight off Hogan's bad kicking and apparent poor attitude, which will hopefully let Jesse work on those things in peace.
I'm sort of following to the point where I ask myself if you are proposing Cloke forward to miss easy set shots for the year to turn the focus away from Jesse? It's genius. Let's get Ty Vikery too, and Neeld to coach. I'm betting the focus gets directed well away from Hogan in this scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you all basically replied at once I cbf quoting replying to you all, but:

I wouldn't be totally against it, but I would want him almost in a development role (basically a playing forward coach) and I don't know if he wants that.
I like it, but I have difficulty seeing Trav as coaching anything more intelligent then a German Shepherd.

I'll take him....

Out the back and shoot him myself

Some might argue he could be an upgrade on Pedo/Dawes but like Pedo he's sort of hit that tipping point and we'd only get a couple of years out of him. Maybe good for the bullies that need a quick forward for a brief flag attack, but really not what we need. We need a young but experienced forward, so somewhere around the Jack Watts age. Honestly that's why i would have been fine with hunting after Lynch from Adelaide

If he is going for $300k to $400k a season I could see it.

But I can't see a forward line like the below ? Pedo would have to go (and I have assumed there is no room for Dawes next year).

Hogan/Cloke/Pedo
Watts/Weid/Crumber

Zac Clarke as a forward/ruck?

Big and athletic, but maybe not good enough as a forward?

All I know is we can't keep playing Watts in the ruck, it's not good.

I'm really surprised we didn't play Spencer at all this year, despite his injury issues.

Gawn can play as a forward or ruck and I still think Spencer can be a decent AFL ruckman.

Zac Clarke as a forward/ruck?

Big and athletic, but maybe not good enough as a forward?

All I know is we can't keep playing Watts in the ruck, it's not good.

I think Tyronne Vickery would be better a better fit. A fresh start can't hurt his career, and I don't think we'd have to give up much at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back