2016 VFL SEASON

Remove this Banner Ad

Footscray dominated the Roosters .... Are the Roosters too far behind now they are "stand alone"?

Interesting day so far. Collingwood beating Geelong is a small surprise, Williamstown flexed their muscles today. Where are Port and Footscray at? Look like 5-8 teams right now. Casey proving that they're the real deal.

Werribee vs Box Hill should be a cracker tomorrow. Essendon should get over the Lions pretty comfortably you'd think.

You can never write the mighty Burgers off!
Very good win yesterday gets us on the board! Northern Blues next so hopefully we can string a few together now!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
It was a weird game. Essendon put in their worst performance since the start of last season. Was a bittersweet moment.

So, the question really is who will play Willy in the GF at this stage. Casey struggle against another quality opponent. Werribee out of the eight now. Port, Essendon, Footscray, Collingwood too inconsistent right now. Sandy look like the most likely.

So, the question really is who will play Willy in the GF at this stage. Casey struggle against another quality opponent. Werribee out of the eight now. Port, Essendon, Footscray, Collingwood too inconsistent right now. Sandy look like the most likely.

Was a strange week...Box Hill losing to the Blues? Richmond winning too?

Have a look at the ladder after the weekend. Try picking a final 8 out of that lot - even Frankston was competitive yesterday.
Right now I have:

Williamstown
Sandringham
Casey
Essendon
Footscray
Collingwood
Port Melbourne
Coburg

That last one is really up for grabs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now I have:

Williamstown
Sandringham
Casey
Essendon
Footscray
Collingwood
Port Melbourne
Coburg

That last one is really up for grabs though.

Collingwood's percentage is a worry for them. If they happen to drop a match, that percentage will see them fall quite a distance.

For mine:

Williamstown
Casey
Sandringham
Footscray
Essendon
Port Melbourne
Werribee
Box Hill

Collingwood's percentage is a worry for them. If they happen to drop a match, that percentage will see them fall quite a distance.

For mine:

Williamstown
Casey
Sandringham
Footscray
Essendon
Port Melbourne
Werribee
Box Hill
Werribee are way off the pace. I honestly can't see them making it.

Box Hill ??? They could come good! If Collingwood's AFL side takes a certain direction they could win the whole thing at VFL level. Just like the AFL, the VFL in my opinion is still very open at this stage as to who might contest the big dance & then go on & win it.

Box Hill ??? They could come good! If Collingwood's AFL side takes a certain direction they could win the whole thing at VFL level. Just like the AFL, the VFL in my opinion is still very open at this stage as to who might contest the big dance & then go on & win it.
Box Hill's depth is actually being tested and shown up this year. Collingwood's side is overrated IMO. Willy look very good

is it just my imagination or does channel 7 play a s**t load more games involving AFL teams than the ABC did? it seems every week theyve got Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood or Richmond on.

Last edited:
is it just my imagination or does channel 7 play a s**t load more games involving AFL teams than the ABC did? it seems every week theyve got Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood or Richmond on. and according to another thread, North Ballarat doesnt get 1 game shown all year? wtf.
They do. Gets more money.

Seems like Richmond in particular is on every second week, and since they've been s**t the majority of the time, there have been some pretty terrible games to watch.

I personally would love to see more of the VFL stand alone teams but sadly since Channel 7 is commercial, ratings are what matters. :(

Firstly - Vale Frank Johnson. A VFA legend and Australian Football hall of Fame member, passed away Saturday morning aged 84.

Weekend results have made the ladder really tight.

Casey, Williamstown, Sandringham and Collingwood all separated by percentage.
Port Melbourne a game back and clear of Footscray by a game.
A game further back are Geelong and Essendon, with only really Box Hill and the surprising Coburg capable of making it.

Some important matches this week too.

Essendon (8th) must beat Box Hill (9th) at home, as does Geelong (7th) against Werribee (11th).
Footscray (6th) host Casey (top) at home in the Sunday TV game.
Coburg (10th) need to beat Williamstown (2nd) at Point Gellibrand to continue their challenge.
Can Frankston at home cause drama for Collingwood (4th)?
Match of the round for me is at Trevor Barker Oval between Sandringham (3rd) and Port Melbourne (5th).

Very interesting this VFL season. Anyone of the top clubs could pinch the flag.
Port v Willy at North port this Saturday. Port are finding their way to the pointy end as is usually the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back