Test Rugby 2016 Wallabies Season (Test Series vs England - The return of Eddie-ball)

Discussion in 'Rugby Union' started by S120, Mar 20, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. S120

S120 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    So with the English wrapping up a Grand Slam victory this morning, attention rolls on to the 3 match series out here against the Wallabies.

Thoughts? Comments? Best 23's?

The likes of Kepu, Genia, Cooper, AAC, Cummins, Mitchell and Giteau could all be missing from the 23 which took on the AB's in the RWC final. They are all unknown although Cheika has apparently been over in Europe gauging their interest/availability in playing this winter.

If all of them are unavailable, right now off the top of my head I'd probably go with a side along the lines of the following:

1. Scott Sio
    2. Stephen Moore (c)
    3. Greg Holmes
    4. Sam Carter
    5. Rob Simmons
    6. Scott Fardy
    7. Michael Hooper
    8. David Pocock
    9. Nick Phipps (oof, not a fan but there are few others to go for)
    10. Bernard Foley
    11. Joe Tomane
    12. Kurtley Beale
    13. Tevita Kuridrani
    14. Henry Speight
    15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Toby Smith
    18. Allan Alaalatoa
    19. Dean Mumm
    20. Sean McMahon
    21. Nick Stirzaker (I understand he has only just returned on the bench, but nobody else inspires confidence in me at this stage)
    22. Matt Toomua
    23. Rob Horne (I'd love to see Samu Kerevi get a shot too, Dane Haylett-Petty deserves a spot in the extended squad as well)

Hopefully some of the overseas crew will be available, it's a much much better side with them in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Maester

Maester Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I reckon it'll be pretty close to that. I don't really like a Carter/Simmons 2nd row as I think they're too similar and neither offer much as ball runners, but with Douglas out it's probably what Cheika will go with. Not enthused by Dean Mumm so far this season. Maybe someone like Arnold or Coleman could step up but it'd be a risk.

Backs - I reckon Toomua will start ahead of Beale, also wouldn't rule out Lilo. Speight may also be focused on sevens by this stage - if not then he'll probably start, but I also like Haylett-Petty and reckon he could be a bit of a Ben Smith type player for us on the wing. A back 3 of Tomane, Folau and Speight is pretty light on kicking ability so he could provide a better balance.

3. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Good points. Mumm has not been good and I'd contend that Simmons has been similarly poor but he'll be there. Skelton hasn't been effective so far either, playing his way out of the squad imo. I'd loveto see Arnold get a run. Coleman too. See the next tier of big bruisers step up at lock.

I wish Stirzaker could just get fit already and consign Phipps to the bench for good.

Toomua at 12 and Beale on a wing ahead of Speight I'd be happy with. Beale needs to be in the side somewhere and I love Toomua.

DHP is vastly underrated imo, he could bea real player if situated in a better side with better players.

4. Dipper

Dipper Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Allies FCC
    Eddie Jones is going to love this tour!

England are on a massive improve but with only 3 wins ever against Australia in Australia it's always a long shot to win a series, that's without Australia being clear as second best side in the world.

Still should be a good series.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

5. Maester

Maester Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    It'll definitely be an interesting series and a pretty popular one I think. The journalists will be licking their lips at the prospects of the Jones vs Cheika mind games. Eddie has already talked about England having to play 'bodyline' on this tour.

6. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    As much as I despise seeing England win anything in rugby, it is going to create a fantastic atmosphere and buzz for the series. Eddie Jones, aside from being a very shrewd coach and manager of people, is a promoter's dream.

I cannot wait to get my SFS tickets. I've always stuff on during the recent test matches at SFS so all going well, this will be my first and I'm so keen for it.

Has there been any talk of how many overseas Wallabies will make themselves available for this? In Genia, AAC, Mitchell, Giteau, Cooper and Kepu we have a lot of key players potentially unavailable. Not having access to 5 of the RWC final starting side (6 including Kane Douglas) would really be a blow.

The other interesting proposition is how many Northern clubs will release their best and brightest for the tour.

7. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Sort of hope we move on from them. For the WC I can see the point of it. However now is the time to try some younger options with the view of at the very least providing some depth in WC years. The only one we will miss is Kepu anyway, the others are replaceable.

8. Maester

Maester Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I'd guess that Genia and Kepu would be the most likely. I wouldn't want anyone picked from overseas who is no chance at making the next world cup.

LukeParkerno1 likes this.
  9. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Fair. I think we can cover Kepu actually. Greg Holmes is one of the best tight head props in the world, no word of a lie.

I think it's primarily the backline in which we will suffer. Genia is far better than Phipps and nobody else has even been trialed yet. AAC and Mitchell are far smarter and more complete wingers than our other options. Same goes for Giteau at inside.

But if we are to move on then I get that. As long as we actually blood guys like Dane Haylett-Petty, Nick Stirzaker, Allan Alaalatoa, Tom English, Jed Holloway, Samu Kerevi, Jonah Placid or Ben Meehan. Even on the bench.

10. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Looks like we're pretty light on for resources with a lot of injuries atm. Almost exclusively in the backline though, our pack is pretty much in tact. Kane Douglas, Sekope Kepu missing from our best RWC side but not much else from memory.

First test against England would look like this if I had my way:

1. Sio
    2. Moore (c)
    3. Holmes
    4. Carter
    5. Simmons
    6. Fardy
    7. Hooper
    8. Pocock
    9. Phipps
    10. Foley
    11. Horne
    12. Kerevi
    13. Kuridrani
    14. Haylett-Petty
    15. Folau

16. TPN
    17. Slipper
    18. Smith
    19. Timani (I suspect Skelton will get the nod as a Cheika favourite but I'd go with Arnold or Coleman or Timani personally)
    20. McMahon
    21. Frisby (he seems to have held on to the lead from Stirzaker)
    22. Leali'ifano
    23. Morahan (I'd go with Morahan due to his versatility ahead of CFS, Nabuli and experience over Hunt)

I'd love to see guys like Jack Dempsey, Jed Holloway, Tom Robertson, Jonah Placid, Andrew Ready, Campbell Magnay, Andrew Kellaway, Reece Hodge given spots in the squad as the next generation. Not all of them will be able to fit but a few of them I certainly hope.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Also, I was interested in getting a definitive list of Australian players who are playing overseas. Cheika said when he headed to Europe recently he sat down with not only the big guys like AAC, Genia, Giteau etc. about their intentions of playing Wallabies but he sat down with up and coming players who he wants to see back in Super rugby. So who are they all?

And because I have a day off work today and I'm home chilling watching the NBA, I thought I'd look through the European and Japanese clubs to find them for this year or next year.

So Australian players who are playing top flight rugby in England, Italy, France, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Japan:

Cooper Vuna
    Leroy Houston (reportedly coming back to the Reds next year)
    Mitch Lees
    Julian Salvi
    Ben White
    Lachie Turner
    Bill Meakes
    James Horwill*
    Beau Robinson
    Lachie McCaffrey
    Peter Betham

Dave Porecki
    Ollie Hoskins
    Brendan McKibbin
    Kieran Longbottom
    George Smith*
    Ben Jacobs
    Tala Gray
    Tom Murday
    Sekope Kepu*
    Adam Ashley-Cooper*
    Blair Connor
    Alfi Mafi
    Chris Tuatara-Morrison
    Poutasi Luafatu
    John Ulugia
    Brock James
    Anthony Hegarty
    Ben Hand
    Peter Kimlin
    Henry Vanderglas
    Sitaleki Timani
    Ben Mowen
    Nic White

Ben Lucas
    Jesse Mogg
    Leon Power
    Zack Holmes
    Malietoa Hingano
    Alex Northam
    Will Genia*
    Hugh Pyle
    Paul Alo-Emile
    Quade Cooper

Matt Giteau*
    Drew Mitchell*
    James O'Connor
    UJ Seuteni
    Dylan Evans
    Salesi Ma'afu
    Sam Johnson
    Taqele Naiyaravoro
    Alex Toolis
    Luke Burgess
    Salesi Manu
    Sam Windsor
    Mark Chisolm
    Sam Wykes
    Scott Higginbotham
    Sam Norton-Knight
    Brackin Karauria-Henry
    Daniel Heenan
    Berrick Barnes
    Sam Bernstrom
    Hugh McMeniman
    Digby Ioane

* = Giteau's Law players, have played 60 or more tests for the Wallabies and can continue playing Tests while based overseas
    BOLDED = My impression of the players (not Giteau's Law eligible) who could come back straight away to Super rugby and make a club better while competing hard for Wallabies playing time

So that's 66 players currently playing somewhere other than Australia. You could throw in a guy like Michael Alaalatoa too really, he's playing at the Crusaders and doing well after not being offered anything by any Australian Super clubs.

A hell of a lot of talent running around outside of Australia. And a good illustration of the difficult proposition Super rugby sides in this country have in closing the deficit when so many quality players are overseas.

Let's hope Cheika is capable of convincing some of these guys to come home. Guys like Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Taqele Naiyaravoro, James O'Connor, Sitaleki Timani, Peter Betham are around the peak of their careers right now and can make our Wallabies and Super rugby depth stronger immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Taqele Naiyaravoro has already signed with NSW for next year.

13. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Not coming for the rest of this year as rumoured?

14. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Glasgow's season is still has a few games left and I thought he was coming back via Japan anyway.

15. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Not sure, you could be right. Happy he's coming back. If Dom Shipperly is being talked up as a chance, we need wingers.

I would be playing Hunt in the 22 this year, maybe even at 12.

16. Maester

Maester Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I doubt Hunt will play 12 for the Wallabies given he hasn't been playing there for the Reds. I reckon there's some chance they could play Hunt at 15 though, especially if the midfield is Kerevi and Kuridrani. Cheika has said that if they go with those 2 in the centres (or swap out 1 for Folau) then he'd want a 2nd ball player at fullback. You could potentially play 12. Kerevi 13. Kuridrani 14. Folau 15. Hunt.

17. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Folau will be the starting 13 or 15. His ceiling is much higher than Kurandrani (sp.). I'd play him at 13. Hunt at 15 then.

18. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Wallabies squad for England Test series
    Allan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Sam Carter, Adam Coleman, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Nick Frisby, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Mike Harris, Dane Haylett-Petty, Greg Holmes, Michael Hooper, Rob Horne, James Horwill, Leroy Houston, Karmichael Hunt, Sekope Kepu Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, Eto Nabuli, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Joe Powell, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Toby Smith

19. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Kepu, Naiyaravoro, Houston and Horwill return from overseas.

Joe Powell over Nick Stirzaker, a huge surprise. Coleman and Arnold make the squad. Nabuli makes it in along with DHP and Morahan for the back three competition.

20. S120

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Wallabies
    Hookers: Stephen Moore, Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Hanson (no Andrew Ready)
    Props: Sekope Kepu, Greg Holmes, James Slipper, Toby Smith, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalatoa
    Locks: Dean Mumm, James Horwill, Sam Carter, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, Adam Coleman, Rory Arnold
    Flankers: Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Sean McMahon
    No.8's: David Pocock, Wycliff Palu (oof), Ben McCalman, Leroy Houston
    Halfbacks: Nick Phipps, Nick Frisby, Joe Powell (No Nick Stirzaker)
    Fly Halves: Bernard Foley, Mike Harris (I guess)
    Centres: Christian Leali'ifano, Tevita Kuridrani, Samu Kerevi
    Wings: Taqele Naiyaravoro, Rob Horne, Luke Morahan, Eto Nabuli
    Fullbacks: Israel Folau, Dane Haylett-Petty, Karmichael Hunt

Genia, AAC, Mitchell, Giteau all left out due to injuries or rest. Having thought about it a little more and with the squad in mind now, from that lot my 23 would be:

1. Scott Sio
    2. Stephen Moore (c)
    3. Sekope Kepu (assuming he's fully fit and not carrying niggles at the end of his domestic season, otherwise I have no qualms with Greg Holmes being our 3)
    4. James Horwill
    5. Rob Simmons
    6. Scott Fardy
    7. Michael Hooper
    8. David Pocock
    9. Nick Phipps
    10. Bernard Foley
    11. Rob Horne
    12. Christian Leali'ifano
    13. Tevita Kuridrani
    14. Dane Haylett-Petty
    15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. James Slipper
    18. Greg Holmes
    19. Adam Coleman
    20. Sean McMahon
    21. Nick Frisby
    22. Samu Kerevi
    23. Karmichael Hunt

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  21. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    LeLeafiano would be the reserve 10

22. Sydney Bloods

Sydney Bloods Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
    rumors of the squad for the first test are:

1. Scott Sio

2. Stephen Moore

3. Holmes

4. Arnold

5. Simmons

6. Fardy

7. Hooper

8. Pocock

9. Phipps

10. Foley

11. Horne

12. Kerevi

13. Kuridrani

14. Dane Haylett-Petty

15. Folau

bench:

TPN

Slipper

Kepu

Horwill

Mumm

McMahon

Frisby

Lealiifano

23. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Horne again why jeez

24. Maester

Maester Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I like the selections of Arnold and Haylett-Petty. Would have preferred Lilo at 12 under normal circumstances but given the situation I think it's worth experimenting with Kerevi and Kuridrani together. It could be awesome.

Horne isn't the most dangerous winger but he's excellent defensively. He'll probably defend a lot at 10 or 12, particularly off set pieces, which will take some pressure off Foley/Kerevi.

S120 likes this.
  25. Sydney Bloods

Sydney Bloods Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
    well theres a shitton of work to do before game two.