2016 Womens All Stars, 7.10pm, Sat, Sept 3, Western Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I get all the excitement and I hope it takes off but it hasn't done a lot for me tonight. It just seems like the AFL is trying to force us to like something, it's all a bit over the top.

Anyway I hope I wrong.

The AFL isnt trying to force you to do anything. It is trying to encourage more girls and women to play the game and ensure that they also have a pathway to the top.

Given it was pretty one sided, it was a quality game. Not a lot of 6 goal floggings stick in the memory.

For people questioning the standard, remember most of these girls don't train any more than a local football team and often have to do so at ridiculously late times due to lack of ground availability. Women's teams are usually the poor cousin at local football clubs.

That's now changing due to the AFL embracing the women's game but there's still a long way to go.

To think I couldn't bare to see woman's footy. Im humbled to say I'd definitely watch the girls play again (tiges & norf u might be as good as the girls one day )

For people questioning the standard, remember most of these girls don't train any more than a local football team and often have to do so at ridiculously late times due to lack of ground availability. Women's teams are usually the poor cousin at local football clubs.

That's now changing due to the AFL embracing the women's game but there's still a long way to go.

Access to professional coaching, training, support and facilities for the duration of the competition will be a massive benefit. They then get to take that back to the local comps and pass on what they have learnt to others. They'll start gettimng advice on exercise and diet regimes almost as soon as they are drafted.

Player depth remains a concern - only 18 of the players that played tonight have been recruited so far, with another two top players out injured, and with 25 player lists at 8 clubs...they have to find another 180 odd players and bring them up to scratch as well. its a long game plan.

Standard was really good first half and slipped no doubt because of fitness, smart move 16 a side and smaller footy.

I love it and i actually had my heart in my mouth at the courage of some of these girls, insane attack on the ball.

Fits well in these type of grounds and twilight.

When they say eyes on the ball i think they have taken it to literally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Access to professional coaching, training, support and facilities for the duration of the competition will be a massive benefit. They then get to take that back to the local comps and pass on what twhhey have learnt to others. They'll start gettimng advice on exercise and diet regimes almost as soon as they are drafted.

Player depth remains a concern - only 18 of the players that played tonight have been recruited so far, with another two top players out injured, and with 25 player lists at 8 clubs...they have to find another 180 odd players and bring them up to scratch as well. its a long game plan.
...which is why there should have been only 6 teams approved.

That was a good game. Mo Hope is going to be a gun for the Mighty Magpies!

Obviously the skills were average at times but as the women get more pro level training the standard will rise. It will just take some time.

Tiny sample size.

Problems at the moment is:

A) can the standard maintain/increase with player dilution across multiple teams
B) will the game be marketable long term outside of exhibition matches.

It will definitely improve with more time/funding/etc

The other concern is whether it will be viewed as complementary or competing against the mens league for audience.

Good steps forward and a lot will have to go right

Good quality. Certainly following the Women's National League closely next season. Very good time slot across February and March too to maximise interest. As far as I'm concerned the Brisbane Lions have 28 regular season matches next year.

Good quality. Certainly following the Women's National League closely next season. Very good time slot across February and March too to maximise interest. As far as I'm concerned the Brisbane Lions have 28 regular season matches next year.

Envious of you Crawb - Really hoping the Cats are among those to get a team in 2018.

Great standard of game, impressive skills and commitment. Congratulations to all involved.

Thought Hope was a genius in front of goal, although others including Pearce, Brennan, and Tayla Harris were in the running for B.O.G. Brennan seemed to have a little more time than others, and Pearce to know where to send the next pass.

I'm sorry but I'm definitely in the minority and couldn't last more than about 10 minutes watching it.
Guess it's just not for everybody and that's fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back