2016 WTA Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Discussion thread for all 2016 WTA events.

Calendar: http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments

Draws: http://www.wtatennis.com/draws-and-schedule

This week we have the Fed Cup quarter finals with the following countries playing one another:
  • Romania v Czech Republic
  • Germany v Switzerland
  • France v Italy
  • Russia v Netherlands

Results so far:

Week of January 4

Brisbane International (WTA Premier) - Victoria Azarenka defeated Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-1.
Shenzhen Open (WTA International) - Agnieszka Radwanska defeated Alison Riske 6-3 6-2.
Auckland Open (WTA International) - Sloane Stephens defeated Julia Gorges 7-5 6-2.

Week of January 11

Sydney International (WTA Premier) - Svetlana Kuznetsova defeated Monica Puig 6-0 6-2.
Hobart International (WTA International) - Alize Cornet defeated Genie Bouchard 6-1 6-2.

Fed Cup Quarter Final Results:
Czech Republic 3-2 Romania
Switzerland 3-2 Germany
France 4-1 Italy
Netherlands 3-1 Russia.

The Fed Cup semi finals will be held on April 16-17.

Czech Republic will take on Switzerland and France will take on the Netherlands.

This week's tournaments (Week of February 8):

St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy (WTA Premier):
Seeded players:
1). Belinda Bencic
2). Roberta Vinci
3). Caroline Wozniacki
4). Ana Ivanovic
5). Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
6). Anna Karolina Schmiedlova
7). Kristina Mladenovic
8). Alize Cornet

Taiwan Open (WTA International):
Seeded players:
1). Venus Williams
2). Misaki Doi
3). Yulina Putintseva
4). Zarina Diyas
5). Zheng Saisai
6). Hsieh Su-wei
7). Kurumi Nara
8). Alison Riske

Last edited:
Gotta love Kulichkova. Also wow at Taiwan. The disparity between Venus (11 or 12) to Doi (62)

ITF but Barty and Moore are into the doubles semis in Perth. Is she going to play singles soon? It looks like there is an ITF tournament in Australia every week basically until the end of March and then the local tournaments look like they finish up.

New teenager in the top 50 in the wta. Russian girl who has made semis in St. Petersburg and just beat cibulkova. 18 year old Kasatkina is her name, if I spelt that correctly. Anyway, only watched a little of her previous match, looked like a counter puncher, or so the commentator said.

Anyway, she still looked like she had more weapons than woznacki.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Anyway, she still looked like she had more weapons than woznacki.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

At least 80% of the tour do.

But yeah, the future of Russian tennis on the WTA tour looks pretty bright. There's also Gasparyan who looks quite promising, and can't go much wrong with a one handed backhand.

At least 80% of the tour do.

But yeah, the future of Russian tennis on the WTA tour looks pretty bright. There's also Gasparyan who looks quite promising, and can't go much wrong with a one handed backhand.

I still miss Zvony :(

Well, she just lost to Vinci. 7-5, 6-4. normal Ana game really, just stupid tennis.

I dont know why the coach was trying to get Ivanovic to come to the net though. when i think of Ivanovic, i dont think of her killer volley skills.

cant wait for this next match. battle of the teens and the future u would think.

*Sees Rio's draw*

*Backs away slowly*

The good news about Rio that that Sorana Cirstea is back in a WTA draw. it has been too long sweet, feisty princess. In before a round 1 loss.

Kasatkina v Bencic played out like it really should. Dasha(Kasatkina) just didnt have the weapon to hurt Bencic often enough. she had 10 BP chances but only took the 1.

Think Bencic will be too hot for Vinci. Unlike Ana, i cant see Bencic getting caught out by the BH slice of Vinci. Vinci struggled against Babos and Wickmayer, but was crafty enough to get out of those jams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vinci cruised through this game really. (6/4, 6/3)

Disappointing really, I was hoping Bencic was going to pick up a win.

my respect for Vinci has improved a lot this week. watched her play a couple times(espeically against Ana), and she unique, and it is pleasing to watch someone play in a different way.

she was killed in the first 3 games against Ana, changed things around, and always looked in control afterwards. it was a massive turnaround and nice to see she had a plan b.

St Petersburg Ladies Trophy (WTA Premier) - Roberta Vinci defeats Belinda Bencic 6-4 6-3.
Taiwan Open (WTA International) - Venus Williams defeats Misaki Doi 6-4 6-2.

This week's tournaments (Week of February 15):

Dubai Tennis Championships (WTA Premier)
Seeded players:
1). Simona Halep
2). Garbine Muguruza
3). Carla Suarez Navarro
4). Petra Kvitova
5). Belinda Bencic
6). Karolina Pliskova
7). Roberta Vinci
8). Svetlana Kuznetsova

From the Aussies, Daria Gavrilova features in this tournament.

Rio Open (WTA International)
Seeded players:
1). Teliana Pereira
2). Johanna Larsson
3). Danka Kovinic
4). Christina McHale
5). Polona Hercog
6). Lana Arruabarrena
7). Tatjana Maria
8). Andreea Mitu

If Ivanovic loses she should just stick to modelling and riding Schwinesteiger weiner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back