2016 WTA Tour

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Ranking wise: Sharapova is 97th and Wozniacki is 60th.

The Top 10 is: Serena, Kerber, Garbine, Aga, Halep, Vika, Venus, Vinci, CSN and Kuznetsova.
Stosur gains 2 spots to 14th, Cibulkova is now 12th, Vesnina gains 26 spots to reach 24th, Shvedova gains 50 to become 49th and Gavrilova gains 9 spots to reach 47th

This week's tournaments (Week of July 11):

Bucharest Open (WTA International)
Seeded players:
1). Simona Halep
2). Sara Errani
3). Anna Karolina Schmiedlova
4). Laura Siegemund
5). Monica Niculescu
6). Danika Kovinic
7). Anastasija Sevastova
8). Cagla Buyukakcay

Ladies Championship Gstaad:
Seeded players:
1). Timea Bacsinszky
2). Jelena Jankovic
3). Kiki Bertens
4). Caroline Garcia
5). Annika Beck
6). Johanna Larsson
7). Mona Barthel
8). Julia Gorges

Last edited:
Ladies Championship Gstaad:
Seeded players:
1). Timea Bacsinszky
2). Jelena Jankovic
3). Kiki Bertens
4). Caroline Garcia
5). Annika Beck
6). Johanna Larsson
7). Mona Barthel
8). Julia Gorges

From the Aussies, Samantha Stosur and Daria Gavrilova feature in this tournament.
Who do Stosur and Dasha play?

oh wow. just when i didnt think this game could get any worse.

Sasnovich totally misread an air ball mishit and was forced to take the shot near her knees. UE, what a suprise.

next point, Schmids totally frames her first serve straight up into the air. and i mean straight up in the end.

deciding point of the game, Schmids plays a good point, gets a putaway near the net. totally tells Sasnovich where she is going to put it, Sasnovich gets there and hits a passing shot for a winner. I am not totally surprised that Schmids told her where she would hit it. last time she had the chance at the same shot, she hit it long. now back on "serve" at 3-2, but neither girl has actually been able to hold serve.

2nd serve.PNG

This is where Sasnovich is taking the 2nd serve of Schmids. ............................... And Mugaruza lost a set to her. how?

couple more miss hits and UE's by Sasnovich concedes the game. 5-2 to Schmids. i do hope Sas forces Schmids to serve it out(edit she has. 5-3 now). This match is already in the "so bad its good" category. letting a girl who hasnt won since Jan and has an extremely fragile mind can only make the quality even better.

haha. of course. lol.

Schmids gets a match point, somehow, after 3 UEs by Sasnovich. she saves it quite well with an actual winner.

Decue. I swear that the next serve of Schmids only reaches halfway up the net. the 2nd is something which a 12-year-old would be ashamed of, and Sas takes advantage of it. Advantage Sas.

Schmids then serves a DF and concedes the game, and i just cant stop laughing. 5-5 all now. Schmids has completely lost the plot now. Can Sas keep the ball in play and win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best match all year. Joker wouldnt stand a chance against these 2 girls.

Schmids(yes the girl in my profile picture), has completely lost the plot. 3 UE concedes the break. she sprays them left, she sprays them right, she sprays rally shots, she sprays put aways.

now the question is; Can Sasnovich serve it out. judging by that last shot, which went 20 feet beyond the baseline; i have my doubts.

What a match. would never ever predicted that ending.

Schmids gets a break point, as Sas hits some fairly easy shots wide/long. She cant convert due to yet another UE into the net. never change girl.

Sas then serves 2 ACES!!!!!!! and closes the match 7-5 in the 3rd. Schmids is a worry. up 5-2 and yet still cant get that win on WTA level. and u could see what was happening. so fragile.

anyway, best hour of my life and the 30 odd fans watching.

Edit course i have already talked too much. Anna Karolína Schmiedlová(Schmids) was the defending champion as well. might be the last time i will ever watch her play cause there is no way she is winning a match on tour level for a long long long long long long time. :(

Last edited:
Results:
Bucharest Open (International) - Simona Halep defeated Anastasija Sevastova 6-0 6-0.
Ladies Championship Gstaad (International) - Viktorija Golubic defeated Kiki Bertens 4-6 6-3 6-4.

This week's tournaments (Week of July 18):

Stanford Classic (WTA Premier)
Seeded players:
1). Venus Williams
2). Dominika Cibulkova
3). Johanna Konta
4). Coco Vandeweghe
5). Misaki Doi
6). Jelena Ostapenko
7). Alize Cornet
8). Varvara Lepchenko

Swedish Open (WTA International)
Seeded players:
1). Angelique Kerber
2). Sara Errani
3). Kiki Bertens
4). Annika Beck
5). Anna Karolina Schmiedlova
6). Laura Siegemund
7). Johanna Larsson
8). Mona Barthel

Washington Open (WTA International):
Seeded players:
1). Samantha Stosur
2). Sloane Stephens
3). Monica Puig
4). Kristina Mladenovic
5). Eugenie Bouchard
6). Yulia Putintseva
7). Yanina Wickmayer
8). Monica Niculescu

From the Aussies, Samantha Stosur features in this tournament.

Results:
Bucharest Open (International) - Simona Halep defeated Anastasija Sevastova 6-0 6-0.
Ladies Championship Gstaad (International) - Viktorija Golubic defeated Kiki Bertens 4-6 6-3 6-4.
First double bagel in a final since Sydney 2013. Halep was always going to win her home tournament, but still.

I really rate Golubic. watched her against the Czechs in the fed cup and she almost carried her team to victory against PLiskova and the like. beating Bertens on clay is a great achievement.

Schmiedlova actually won a match

It was against a Wild Card ranked 160 odd in the world. But still.

Anna+Karolina+Schmiedlova+np4mhPOi6okm.jpg

Well Stosur is through to the next round thanks to Wozniacki's retirement in the second set!

Edit: Wozniacki has a left elbow injury. Sam pretty lucky I think as Wozniacki had won the first set.

Last edited:
Knew you'd be happy! Time for a new avatar? :D

Stosur through to the second round in Washington in straight sets :thumbsu:
i know. i am actually quite shocked at these turn of events. i swear she was going to try and match Rus' effort of around 17 straight losses on tour level in 2013(?). i am actually quite sad that our time is ending.

But i must move on. Susanne Celik, the world number 153; come on down. i expect this one to take at least a year, if not till her retirement. I was tempted to go the Sas in honour of their match last week

Sam not able to capitalise on her lucky break in the last round, loses to Pegula in straight sets.
who?

oh sam. oh sam. Lauren bloody Davis is in the final. she was getting close to Schmiedlova levels of hopelessness. missed chance here.

Last edited:
This week's tournaments (Week of August 1):

Brasil Tennis Cup (WTA International)

Seeded players:
1). Jelena Jankovic
2). Irina Camelia-Begu
3). Monica Puig
4). Jelena Ostapenko
5). Yulia Putinseva (withdrew)
6). Timea Babos
7). Nao Hibino
8). Naomi Osaka
9). Teliana Pereira

Jiangxi Open (WTA International)
Seeded players:
1). Magda Linette (withdrew)
2). Kurumi Nara
3). Francesca Schiavone
4). Donna Vekic
5). Zhang Kailin
6). Vania King
7). Riza Ozaki
8). Han Xinyun
9). Elitsa Kostova

From the Aussies, Storm Sanders features in this tournament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back