Draft Watcher 2016 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comparisons are weighted more towards style I suppose, as opposed to how good they'll be. As the season has gone on, McGrath has played a more complete game than his comparison. I could have gone with someone like Heath Shaw, as that general type down back and through traffic. But I've had Johannisen next to McGrath's name right from the start of the year, with the way he runs out of the back lines. Figured I may as well keep it going.
He seems to play like Johannisen when in the backline, but i think people have to also think about the fact of McGrath's upside in that he has the potential to also move in to the midfield which is a massive upside and he has a high ceiling once he moves in to the midfield

With your comments regarding Scrimshaw, what has his under 18 season be like in comparison to the great Bonts? similar size but is that about where it stops?

I would also love to have a crack at either Rotham or Logue, as you said though it looks like they are both going to fall somehwere in between our first pick and our next pick.

I love the idea of picking up SPS but he just hasnt put the runs on the board this season whether it being from injury or something else, i think taking him at pick 3 is quite dangerous as well.

I don't think there's much similar about Scrimshaw and Bontempelli. Just the height and people wanting him to be that type of player. They're both composed and move well through traffic, sure. But that's about it. Bontempelli was cleaner for me, also played with more size. There was genuine talk about him potentially developing into a CHF. With Scrimshaw, he lacks strength so people are trying to find somewhere that isn't a KPP role for him to play.

I'm not too worried about SPS. He showed what he can do last year, even if it was just in glimpses this year. I think recruiters will accept that injury hampered his year and he struggled to get going. As opposed to him plateauing and having limited development to come.

Hi Chris, thanks for posting the phantom R1, enjoyed reading it. Just nitpicking but surely you can't predict SPS at pick 12 and then say you'd be surprised if he landed there ;) The McCluggage Vs McGrath debate it heating up.

Oh, I change my mind about English every day. But ultimately, I trust the professionals. Most of the reports in the media, are the clubs love him and think he could be the best player in the draft. We've seen ruckmen being drafted lower and lower in recent years, so for him to be talked about as a top 10 pick then he must be pretty special. Us amateurs just want results now, instead of looking long term.

For Fremantle, my preferences would probably be Sam Petrevski-Seton or Ben Ainsworth - assuming the top 3 goes how I have it. I just think Ainsworth is so dangerous, he's more than just a small forward. I'd be wary of Jack Scrimshaw that high, I'm not sold on him as a midfielder. He might make everyone look stupid for passing on him, but he doesn't have the performances on the board yet for me.

The thing I'm most annoyed about is that we don't have a second round pick. And not only that, but we'll probably trade for Brad Hill too. I'd love nothing more than to be in a position to draft Logue or Rotham, but I see no way that could happen.
I think I have seen you write that you don't see the Dockers trading down their pick. But given the likely flow of picks to both the expansion clubs trading to a top 10 pick plus a later 1st rounder seems to make sense for both parties. From your mock it could indeed mean that Freo have their cake and eat it too; one of English or SPS, and one of Logue or Rotham. Sure it may end up being Marshall and Berry, but I'd still be smiling.

Scrimshaw is a little more like Macrae than Bonti.

I think Scrimshaw will eventually become a Michael Johnson type. Not strong enough to be used as a genuine KD but has the height and mobility to match it with the 3rd talls or as the second up in a KP marking contest. Has great evasiveness and skill to use the ball coming out of defence. Could pinch hit forward at times to stretch the opposition defence.

Hi Chris. What are your thoughts on Hayward and Davis? I thought they showed a lot yesterday.

If Port pass on SPS at 9 i cry!

Powell Pepper looked like a great mover to me.

Hi Chris. What are your thoughts on Hayward and Davis? I thought they showed a lot yesterday.

If Port pass on SPS at 9 i cry!

Powell Pepper looked like a great mover to me.

I've been saying for much of the year that Will Hayward will surprise people. He should have been named in the All Australian side at the Championships, he was one of the most dangerous forwards across all the matches. He played almost solely inside forward 50, but I do think he has the scope to develop into a high half forward and push up through the wings. I've had him between 40-60 all season.

I was also high on Ben Davis through the Championships, but I never saw his name mentioned anywhere else. I thought he played a solid role for the Allies, generally flashed his ability more so than having any standout performances. His best was arguably the last round when he played across half back. But he's good above his head for a medium sized forward, I've found he'll bob up in patches and make the most of limited touches. Another I think goes in the national draft.

Hi Chris. I am biased in that i am very interested in Port's pick 9.

Do you think that;
McCluggage
Petroski-Seton
Bowes - gc
Brodie
Ainsworth
McGrath
Taranto
English
is the consensus top 8? I'd be happy with any?

Where do you see Berry playing at AFL level? I loved his intent on Friday. He looks like a player. Port doesn't need another back flanker or third defender.

My other favourites for pick 9 are Bolton and Venables. (only seen his highlights where he looks like the greatest player in history - but some people don't rate?)

I agree. Question is too meandering and not really a question.

Hi Chris. I am biased in that i am very interested in Port's pick 9.

Do you think that;
McCluggage
Petroski-Seton
Bowes - gc
Brodie
Ainsworth
McGrath
Taranto
English
is the consensus top 8? I'd be happy with any?

Where do you see Berry playing at AFL level? I loved his intent on Friday. He looks like a player. Port doesn't need another back flanker or third defender.

My other favourites for pick 9 are Bolton and Venables. (only seen his highlights where he looks like the greatest player in history - but some people don't rate?)

I agree. Question is too meandering and not really a question.

I don't think there's a consensus top 8 yet. Not until after trade week at least. So many things could happen, as my phantom draft shows - not having SPS or Brodie in the top 10 for example. If Fremantle pass on English and Petrevski-Seton, they could fall. If GWS don't trade up, I think they could reach on Marshall. Scrimshaw and Setterfield are genuine chances to go that early too.

Berry, I think is someone who could be developed in whatever role a club wanted. He's versatile and a hard worker, can't imagine he'll have any problems learning different positions. I do see him as a back flanker though, sort of that roaming Luke Hodge type.

As for Bolton and Venables, it would be a bit early for me at the moment. Venables flashed top 5 ability at times this season, but has lacked consistency. He could develop into a star, but has shown limited midfield ability so far. He's a match winner in the forward half though. More a 10-20 pick I think. And Bolton I have around 15-25. But his game on the weekend would have helped, and the Combine could shoot him up further. I do think he's better than similar players who have gone first round in the past.

Doubt top 20 for Shai B , his 18s champs good at best certainly not outstanding and I think there will be questions about how his game attached at highest level . That he has some real talent clear for last couple of seasons . Drafted yes, but late 2nd round I think more likely

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Chris, been a follower of yours along with KM for a couple years now. Was wondering your opinion of Lachie Weller's progression? I remember you rating him highly (number 5 I think) in his draft year, do you feel he's come along as well as he should have so far? Would you still rate him at #5?

Doubt top 20 for Shai B , his 18s champs good at best certainly not outstanding and I think there will be questions about how his game attached at highest level . That he has some real talent clear for last couple of seasons . Drafted yes, but late 2nd round I think more likely

Whether it happens or not is a different question, but he's a top 20 talent for mine. I thought his Championships were better than good, not hugely consistent but flashed his potential. For example, I think he's a better overall talent than Daniel Rioli - and he went at #15 last year. A skinny and raw talent such as Bolton often gets extra marks. There will be teams in that 10-20 range looking for outside run and skills, and he's in that discussion with Simpkin, Florent and Cox.

Chris what are your thoughts on Zac Sproule

Better player than people give him credit for, he's been a bit forgotten lately. I think he's more of a Matt Taberner type, as that second or third tall forward. He's got a very good endurance base and works well on the lead, like our Taberner. Not dominating in the air though. It's possible he does develop into more of a CHB though. I'm expecting a bid around the third round, I don't think GWS match.

Hey Chris, been a follower of yours along with KM for a couple years now. Was wondering your opinion of Lachie Weller's progression? I remember you rating him highly (number 5 I think) in his draft year, do you feel he's come along as well as he should have so far? Would you still rate him at #5?

Yeah, I had Lachie Weller top 5 in his draft class and I'd probably still have him around that mark - top 10 at least. I thought he was consistent this year, still had his ups and downs. But he played the full season is just his second year, so that's a good sign. I'm hoping he pushes into the midfield more permanently next season, it was his run and skill up the ground which is why I had him rated so highly.

In light of the Freo trade, what do you see happening at Freo's pick 7 now?

What it does is give us options.

Pick 7 puts us more in the frame for someone like Tim English or Todd Marshall, instead of needing to reach to get them. Although with Zac Clarke potentially re-signing and with McCarthy and Kersten coming, it's less likely we go for a ruck or KPF.

But it also puts us in the position to grab one of the 'bolters' - someone like a Tim Taranto should fall around there. Griffin Logue will probably be the favourite of most Fremantle posters, from his first Championships game this year I've been wanting Fremantle to find a way to get him. This could be it, and I don't think it would be too high for him. Someone like Jarrod Berry is working his way back up draft boards too, he'd be another quality addition to our half back line.

Otherwise, we'd still potentially be in Sam Petrevski-Seton range. And don't discount a bid on Will Setterfield, if one hasn't already been made.

Pick 7 puts us more in the frame for someone like Tim English or Todd Marshall, instead of needing to reach to get them. Although with Zac Clarke potentially re-signing and with McCarthy and Kersten coming, it's less likely we go for a ruck or KPF.

But it also puts us in the position to grab one of the 'bolters' - someone like a Tim Taranto should fall around there. Griffin Logue will probably be the favourite of most Fremantle posters, from his first Championships game this year I've been wanting Fremantle to find a way to get him. This could be it, and I don't think it would be too high for him. Someone like Jarrod Berry is working his way back up draft boards too, he'd be another quality addition to our half back line.

Otherwise, we'd still potentially be in Sam Petrevski-Seton range. And don't discount a bid on Will Setterfield, if one hasn't already been made.
Yes I agree. Nice pick to have. Maybe can't control who is/isn't available but some people good options.

Logue does present as a ready to go prospect, especially after some impressive form in the midfield.

Er, you just traded with GWS and you're going to bid on a GWS academy player with the pick you got from GWS!

Er, you just traded with GWS and you're going to bid on a GWS academy player with the pick you got from GWS!

Yep.

I don't really believe in these sorts of hand shake deals. If Fremantle want Setterfield, then they should bid on him. I also don't think GWS would mind too much. They did the trade so they could make a pick before the bids start coming in, so they get an open pool draftee and their Academy kids. And with their list restrictions, they probably don't intend on taking more than the one non-Academy kid anyway.

I see a bid coming somwhere in the 5-10 range.

It will also be intersting to see if GWS pull the trigger with one of their earlier picks to take Marshall, as they were obviously keen on him,

How is it obvious that they're keen?
Sorry i meant they were keen to get him through their academy, meaning that they got first dibs on him. So i'm wondering if they are keen enough on him to use an earlyish draft pick on him, with him being a local lad as well. Sorry should have a bit more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back