Perth GloryFC Thread-2018/19 PREMIERS!! FEAR OUR WRATH!!

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Playing the lower ranked winner helps. Rather an Adelaide or Wellington compared to Victory or Sydney, who have both beaten us at NIB.
No I understand all this but because we have a finals system in Australia, the Premiers Plate doesn’t have the same importance in regards to trophies. Of course in a finals system it’s better to finish top and earn home finals/second chance but it’s a bit like the AFL where the minor premiership is just that - no one remembers the minor premiers.

If it was like the EPL then it would mean something.

What a night. Absolutely knackered and will have no voice tomorrow but it was worth it. I'm surprised they had the presentation tonight instead of waiting until the next home game but I'll take it. Good on Poppa for letting the boys have a beer after the game to celebrate.

I want us to basically play the NPL side against Sydney and save the regulars the travel but I reckon Poppa will want to get one over them before the finals.

Hopefully Davidson is alright since he had a knee brace on after the game. Juande seemed to be moving okay so he mustn't be too bad.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
What a night. Absolutely knackered and will have no voice tomorrow but it was worth it. I'm surprised they had the presentation tonight instead of waiting until the next home game but I'll take it. Good on Poppa for letting the boys have a beer after the game to celebrate.

I want us to basically play the NPL side against Sydney and save the regulars the travel but I reckon Poppa will want to get one over them before the finals.

Hopefully Davidson is alright since he had a knee brace on after the game. Juande seemed to be moving okay so he mustn't be too bad.
I was saying to a mate last night, play a B team away and give the first XI a run against Wellington before the week off. Also a Sydney win next week screws over Victory so I'm fine with taking a loss. I'd go as far as resting Reddy next week.

Also does anyone know what's up with Ikon?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
1-0, good lads. Have peppered the goals all night.

Why does the A-League have 'finals' as opposed to the EPL style system where the top placed team wins it all? Seems odd to have two trophies?

I think the whole point of the Premiers Plate is to try and give some acknowledgement to the team that finishes on top after 27 games, but winning the GF is still the major prize. It will never really take off in Australia because we are culturally used to sports leagues culminating in finals. You see in the AFL that whoever wins the McLelland trophy receives only a token acknowledgement even though it's damn hard to do.

I like the overseas system of first past the post over a long H&A season but I don't think it would prove popular for the A-League. No one really cares about the FFA Cup and with no promotion/relegation (and not enough depth and commercial interest to warrant it) everyone from 4th to 10th would've lost interest weeks ago.

You see in the AFL that whoever wins the McLelland trophy receives only a token acknowledgement even though it's damn hard to do.

Finishing top in the AFL is no more advantageous than finishing 2nd whereas top in the A-League gets you an automatic spot in the ACL.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Finishing top in the AFL is no more advantageous than finishing 2nd whereas top in the A-League gets you an automatic spot in the ACL.

Qualifying for the ACL is a great achievement but again it's not something that has captured the interest of the sporting public. Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory have battled to get 5 or 6 thousand to their ACL games this year. It's our equivalent of the UCL except no one in Australia cares about any clubs in Asia outside the A-League. You get 100 fold more interest in one off meaningless friendlies with Chelsea, Man Utd etc. than you do in ACL matches that are live.

Given the choice between hosting an A-League GF at Optus Stadium and winning the Championship and playing in the ACL (yes one leads to the other) most people would pick the former. Sydney FC would finish 2nd, win the A-League GF and make next year's ACL and no one would consider Perth to have outperformed them. It's ingrained in how we do sport here.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Has anyone else noticed that Castro seems to cut the back of his socks, and does anyone know why he does it?

Also, very pumped for the ACL! Might even make a journey for it.
Lots of top players do it in the EPL and World Cup too. I think it gives a bit more flexibility around the heel so the sock isn’t so tight. Those footy socks always tend to be quite thick.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Premiers plate is a far more deserving trophy they wining the GF. its a silly finals thing because they wanted to break into Aussie culture. Id rather just see a cup played its really Americanised the sport I hate it
Agree but having the finals system devalues it as people remember the grand final winners instead.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Agree but having the finals system devalues it as people remember the grand final winners instead.
exactly what im saying, how about have a cup with the finalist postions in the next season spaced out over the season. bit like qualifying for it

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
So instead of revelling in the achievement of a club that has gone through hell and back it's a debate about if a grand final is more valuable. Peak Bigfooty.

First chance I've had to get online Since Sunday. What a result. What a day. Sage is a dodgy shady bastard but he opened the purse strings. Jacob Burns dominated the club for a long time but has excelled in his role. I never thought Popovic and Burns would get along here we are. Glory with a winning elite culture. Unbelievable. This won't sink in for a bit.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Well said.

Sunday was a great night. I'm still buzzing and looking forward to the finals and more.

So funny: a mate messaged me and asked me to explain the premiership / championship business. I did and then he said he'd be keen to tag along to finals games. I was like, 'okay'. Then he says, 'btw, having a finals series is s**t'. Me: '....um.... right...'

Back