2017-18 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 491104

Wow. What a weekend ahead of us for Barnet! Anything but a win for us over Chesterfield (24th) at home and a loss for Morecambe against Coventry will see us relegated.

Coventry are sitting 6th, 3 points and +2 goal difference clear of Mansfield Town. Mansfield play 14th placed Crawley at home, so would fancy their chances. So as a positive, that's going to keep Coventry honest against Morecambe. Praying to the football gods that everything goes our way!

Reminds me of Carlisle's predicament in 1999. We were last (only one team was relegated back then) heading into the final game and needed a victory along with a Scarborough draw or loss to stay in the football league. Scarborough drew and we were 1-1 with Plymouth in the 94th minute when we received a corner. Our goalkeeper, Jimmy Glass, went up for it and after the Plymouth goalkeeper parried our first shot the ball landed at the feet of Glass who kicked the winner, much to the delight of the 7000 Cumbrians fans who ran onto the pitch and jumped all over our new hero. Scarborough were relegated and folded about 7/8 years later.

It was such a big story that even Manchester United's championship was relegated from the front and back pages of all the UK papers.

I don't think dropping down to the conference is quite as dire as it was twenty years ago when teams feared for their existence and a few actually disappeared, but all the best and I hope you don't have to wait until the 94th minute to get a result.:)

Well that was a heartbreaking weekend to say the least. Who'd have thought we could win by our biggest margin of the year, in front of our biggest home crowd in a very long time, and still go down :( Gut wrenching! Morecambe and Coventry played an absolute snoozer (1 shot on goal between the two for the first half) and both happily took 1 point in their 0-0 draw. That 1 point was our final blow. Huge challenge ahead of us now to hold onto our squad, convince our manager to sign, and then try and bounce straight back from the bottleneck of the National League

upload_2018-5-7_6-11-47.png

upload_2018-5-7_6-13-20.png

Reminds me of Carlisle's predicament in 1999. We were last (only one team was relegated back then) heading into the final game and needed a victory along with a Scarborough draw or loss to stay in the football league. Scarborough drew and we were 1-1 with Plymouth in the 94th minute when we received a corner. Our goalkeeper, Jimmy Glass, went up for it and after the Plymouth goalkeeper parried our first shot the ball landed at the feet of Glass who kicked the winner, much to the delight of the 7000 Cumbrians fans who ran onto the pitch and jumped all over our new hero. Scarborough were relegated and folded about 7/8 years later.

It was such a big story that even Manchester United's championship was relegated from the front and back pages of all the UK papers.

I don't think dropping down to the conference is quite as dire as it was twenty years ago when teams feared for their existence and a few actually disappeared, but all the best and I hope you don't have to wait until the 94th minute to get a result.:)

Remember that goal and those scenes well. Wasn't Glass only on loan at Carlisle at the time? The Carlisle pubs would have been full that night.

Was dire to drop down in those days, in fact it brought about the demise of that Scarborough club not long after.

Remember that goal and those scenes well. Wasn't Glass only on loan at Carlisle at the time? The Carlisle pubs would have been full that night.

Was dire to drop down in those days, in fact it brought about the demise of that Scarborough club not long after.

Jimmy Glass was on loan from Swindon Town. He only played three games for us, but he is still a legend of Carlisle.:)
As stated, Scarborough were gone 7/8 years later. I think a new club has been created out of the ashes, but I think they are currently in the 9th tier.

Jimmy Glass was on loan from Swindon Town. He only played three games for us, but he is still a legend of Carlisle.:)
As stated, Scarborough were gone 7/8 years later. I think a new club has been created out of the ashes, but I think they are currently in the 9th tier.

I'm glad that you didn't just bring up that classic tale, but also one of Scarborough. Bit sad to see what happened to them.

Prior to Cambiasso, there were joke shouts that Mancini and Kalac were legends, displte playing like 6 games between them, lol. Mancini for being a very unexpected transfer of a big name, and Kalac for being bought on for the sole purpose of defend penalties, only for us to score a goal like a minute later, lol.

Conference play-off final.

Tranmere Rovers won 2-1 even though they were down to 10 men due to a 1st minute red card. Back in the Football League (League 2).

What a game. Being a Tranmere fan. It is great to be back in the Football league. Looking forward to play Crewe, Bury and Forest Green
I'm glad that I'll be able to use them in FIFA19 manager mode now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a heartbreaking weekend to say the least. Who'd have thought we could win by our biggest margin of the year, in front of our biggest home crowd in a very long time, and still go down :( Gut wrenching! Morecambe and Coventry played an absolute snoozer (1 shot on goal between the two for the first half) and both happily took 1 point in their 0-0 draw. That 1 point was our final blow. Huge challenge ahead of us now to hold onto our squad, convince our manager to sign, and then try and bounce straight back from the bottleneck of the National League

View attachment 493461

View attachment 493462

Commiserations mate (been away a few weeks, hence the slow check in), that's a brutal way to go down - same points but inferior GD, literally the narrowest of margins.

Hoping you can bounce back at the first go. :thumbsu:

What a game. Being a Tranmere fan. It is great to be back in the Football league. Looking forward to play Crewe, Bury and Forest Green

Belated congratulations on the return to the Football League!

Good to see you go one better than last season in the playoff ;)- quite a heroic effort to do it with 10 men too.

Let the Rover Rumble resume next season. :p

Some exciting news for us - FGR have appointed their first ever head of recruitment. The chap appointed was the academy coordinator at Everton so I guess that's a nice little coup for us to lure someone from a PL side. (Maybe he was sick of Merseyside meat pies and wanted to try some vegan ones instead :D).

Notts County 1-4 Coventry City
Coventry off to Wembley

Watched that game overnight (Liverpool loanee was an unused sub on Notts’s bench)

Felt like they refs were against Notts when the game was in the balance then they got sucker punched on the counter and the floodgates opened later.

Feeling kind of gutted Shrews lost

Especially with a 103rd minute goal! Richard Wood, the centre back who scored both Rotherham goals, was always my favourite Owls player when i was growing up. Was always really solid, glad to see he's doing well for himself with Rotherham. Watched some video the other week how he's now pretty much part time football and part time running a kids cafe haha

Im hoping Coventry City lose tonight though. Still bitter about them rocking up to the game against Morecambe and playing kick to kick and getting us relegated :mad: Sorry if there's any Coventry fans here haha

On the Exeter wagon tonight, they've been around the top of League Two for a bit now without any progression

Always had a soft spot for Rotherham - always a fun FM career to battle against the odds trying to avoid relegation from the Championship with a shoe string budget.

Think I read on the world game that Aussie Ryan Williams was part of the Rotherham success too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back