2017-18 Lower Leagues & Non-League thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished 3-2. Less comfortable than it should have been. Walking is a relief.

going to a non-league match is on my bucket list in life, but being from Darwin, i feel it may be the death of me haha might have to do some cold training in Australia before i go over

4 home wins in a row moves us up to 20th with 32 points, 5 clear of the relegation places. Need to keep this form going to avoid being sucked back in.

4 home wins in a row moves us up to 20th with 32 points, 5 clear of the relegation places. Need to keep this form going to avoid being sucked back in.

Would be good to see them stay up and develop even further in the league! Took them to League 1 in football manager a few years back until other clubs raided half my team. Then i just called it quits and signed with Melbourne Victory haha

You guys are 5 clear, we're 5 from safety. Not looking good for us! Hopefully Crewe, Chesterfield and Morecambe all crash out over the next few weeks and give us a chance to climb to safety. Thankfully it's only 2 that go down

Would be good to see them stay up and develop even further in the league! Took them to League 1 in football manager a few years back until other clubs raided half my team. Then i just called it quits and signed with Melbourne Victory haha

You guys are 5 clear, we're 5 from safety. Not looking good for us! Hopefully Crewe, Chesterfield and Morecambe all crash out over the next few weeks and give us a chance to climb to safety. Thankfully it's only 2 that go down

Ah, the bottleneck. Probably the most frustrating gap in English football. NUFC Tiger would know all about that one. (Course, now that he's on the other side, he's extremely happy it's only just 2 sides that go down!)

Ah, the bottleneck. Probably the most frustrating gap in English football. NUFC Tiger would know all about that one. (Course, now that he's on the other side, he's extremely happy it's only just 2 sides that go down!)

Thankfully we only spent 2 years down there after our last relegation. For a club thats had 18 manager changes in the last 8 years, only 2 years in the Conference aint bad haha not as confident that we would do that again though

Haha I seem to recall Dale Vince getting quite vocal saying it should be 3 spots for relegation and promotion. Of course, now we have finally joined the Football League, I'd rather keep it at 2 spots until we 'hopefully' consolidate ourselves :p

A bit frustrating for us on the weekend with a 1-1 draw against fellow struggler Morecambe with their equaliser coming in the 90th minute. Oh well, a point away from home against a team around us on the table isn't the worst outcome. We're still 6 points clear of Chesterfield (23rd) with the same games played.

Hopefully we both stay up haha. Had a quick look at the table before and Barnet's GD isn't too bad either (about par with the other bottom end teams) so if you can pick up some form and get results, the GD shouldn't be too much of an issue come the final few games.

I did a similar thing on FM a few years ago when managing FGR. Board sold off some of my better players after I got them to the Championship and I said 'go stick your lentil burgers, I'm going home to manage the Jets' (who were coming off a successful season and about to embark on a ACL campaign). I also had designs to go for the Socceroos job but think the FFA went with funking Frank Farina who'd been managing Fiji or some other island nation! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing! Not sure if they took a coach down for the game but surely could find room for him to join the team for the trip home. :D

Three straight wins for the first time since November 2016 sees the Cumbrians climb to tenth only 6pts outside the playoff positions and with 11 games still to play.
We play Grimsby (currently 20th) this weekend followed by Exeter (6th) and Crawley (11th). It's going to be a interest couple of months.

A fifth straight home win for the mighty Forest Green moves us 6 points clear of the relegation places and up to 19th in the table. This time we beat the form side of the league, Crawley Town who've won 8 of their last 10 going into this match and who are of course managed by Mr Kewell.

American Owners Meadow Residential.

They are taking the clubs money they make from the bar and not re-investing it on the clubs wage bill.
Just completely bizarre. Surely you don't invest in a club that small to try and take profit out of it without investing. Especially to the point they may cease to exist.

A fifth straight home win for the mighty Forest Green moves us 6 points clear of the relegation places and up to 19th in the table. This time we beat the form side of the league, Crawley Town who've won 8 of their last 10 going into this match and who are of course managed by Mr Kewell.
Looks like they should stay up. Promotion in 2018/19??

Looks like they should stay up. Promotion in 2018/19??

Haha I'm not counting any chickens just yet mate. It is nice to have some breathing space though after being stuck in the bottom 2 for some time (though I hope Barnet can crawl upwards too for palmomagpie's sake).

I know Vince is ambitious and wants to eventually see us in The Championship (his dream) but I think we'd need some time to settle and stabilise first. Besides, Carlisle have been knocking on the promotion door for a few seasons now, you guys should go up before us given you've been in the queue longer ;)

Haha I'm not counting any chickens just yet mate. It is nice to have some breathing space though after being stuck in the bottom 2 for some time (though I hope Barnet can crawl upwards too for palmomagpie's sake).

I know Vince is ambitious and wants to eventually see us in The Championship (his dream) but I think we'd need some time to settle and stabilise first. Besides, Carlisle have been knocking on the promotion door for a few seasons now, you guys should go up before us given you've been in the queue longer ;)
The problem for Carlisle is they are remote (by English standards) and so it is difficult to maintain players and build a team that can compete for promotions. I read an article a year or two ago where at the end of each season we lose around 10-12 players, generally to teams that are closer to their ‘homebase’. When you have a squad of 30 (max) that is a big changeover.
After winning promotion back to the EFL back in 2005 we had ambitions to win promotion to the Championships and in 2008 we were a point away from achieving it, we finished third to Swansea and Forest and then lost to Leeds in the playoffs to a 95th minute goal. We haven’t had any success since, and have gone backwards again.
It’s difficult and costly getting to the Championship and it can tear smaller clubs apart. Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back