2017/18 Melbourne Victory Thread. We Are The Champions!!!!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
OK time to get the new thread rolling ahead of our FFA Cup match on Wednesday. (Mods can lock the old one.)

Last season felt like we where so far away yet we where so close to winning the Championship.
What are our thoughts ahead of the new season? can we go one better? depth was the big issue last season what do we need to cover our depth? We still have three visa spots to fill, though I doubt we'll fill all of them, who do we need and in what positions? Another winger and a left back is a must imo. Can't rely on Austin and Broxy every week.

I know a lot of us feel very indifferent with the players coming back blaming the club for having no foresight. But frankly the quality of Kosta and Milligan far out weights that argument. glade to have them back along side Troisi of course. Sad to see Rojas go through :(

Brisbane Roar on Wednesday night in the FFA Cup at Perry Park Brisbane, what are our thoughts? not fussed if we lose tbh but I think we'll win the match 2-0.

Looking forward to another exciting A-league season hopefully its a successful one for the Mighty Victory!!

Some details:
FFA Cup Round of 32 Wednesday 9th August 7:30pm EST
http://www.theffacup.com.au/results

Melbourne Victory A-League season fixture
http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/results

Melbourne Victory current squad list
http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/team/a_league

Melbourne Victory Membership
current 17,794 as of 31/7/17
https://www.gomvfc.com.au/join/

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Love the thread title :D

I'm looking forward to the Cup game. While I like the novelty of playing NPL teams from around the country, playing an A-League team is at least a pretty decent way to check where we're at.

I don't think we'll win, mainly cos I don't think we really care enough to. We'll still be playing some of our juniors I reckon.

There's a bit of scuttlebut around the place that there's an international signing announcement being made this week, but obviously for Wednesday we're limited to what we currently have.

Can't wait for the season to start - especially with the WC Eagles and Canberra Raiders going so poorly. I've gotta remember to call up and sort my membership this week.

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
OK time to get the new thread rolling ahead of our FFA Cup match on Wednesday. (Mods can lock the old one.)

Last season felt like we where so far away yet we where so close to winning the Championship.
What are our thoughts ahead of the new season? can we go one better? depth was the big issue last season what do we need to cover our depth? We still have three visa spots to fill, though I doubt we'll fill all of them, who do we need and in what positions? Another winger and a left back is a must imo. Can't rely on Austin and Broxy every week.

I know a lot of us feel very indifferent with the players coming back blaming the club for having no foresight. But frankly the quality of Kosta and Milligan far out weights that argument. glade to have them back along side Troisi of course. Sad to see Rojas go through :(

Brisbane Roar on Wednesday night in the FFA Cup at Perry Park Brisbane, what are our thoughts? not fussed if we lose tbh but I think we'll win the match 2-0.

Looking forward to another exciting A-league season hopefully its a successful one for the Mighty Victory!!

Some details:
FFA Cup Round of 32 Wednesday 9th August 7:30pm EST
http://www.theffacup.com.au/results

Melbourne Victory A-League season fixture
http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/results

Melbourne Victory current squad list
http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/team/a_league

Melbourne Victory Membership
current 17,794 as of 31/7/17
https://www.gomvfc.com.au/join/
HAHA thread title made me LOL
Interesting to see your membership count at 500 higher than where it was this time last year, that and some great signings all point to another good season for the Vuck, and it'll be great to be here with ya, even as a City fan! (If you let me stay this year that is lol)

Sep 7, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
SMFC
I'm excited for this season but imo I don't think we'll do very well and we definitely won't improve on last seasons result, i'd love to be proven wrong tho!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
HAHA thread title made me LOL
Interesting to see your membership count at 500 higher than where it was this time last year, that and some great signings all point to another good season for the Vuck, and it'll be great to be here with ya, even as a City fan! (If you let me stay this year that is lol)

I think with Milligan back we'll find the membership numbers rise up this season, through that count is from before his re-signing. I've spoken with a lot of people that are going to take up a membership all because Milsy is back! shows how much he's regarded at the club.

The thread is open to anyone I kinda enjoy it when we get posters from other clubs especially the banter, as long as its civil and you lot all behave I have no problem.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'm excited for this season but imo I don't think we'll do very well and we definitely won't improve on last seasons result, i'd love to be proven wrong tho!

Going through the other club list I really can't see any team making that giant leap. Sydney will be up there I think but we all know the History in this league with clubs that have won it and then struggle the next season. City, WSW Adelaide are all still a mystery atm. The Roar look like dads army, Perth and Wellington will be same old again CCM and Newcastle.... say no more..

I think our list is better positioned then all them clubs and will get stronger.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
It's great to be back in the champions league as well

arr yes... forgot to mention that in my OP.
It will be interesting once it comes around this time, the FFA have now introduced split rounds during the ACL weeks so it will be interesting how it differs from the past. because I hated how it disrupts our A-league chances.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Love the thread title :D

I'm looking forward to the Cup game. While I like the novelty of playing NPL teams from around the country, playing an A-League team is at least a pretty decent way to check where we're at.

I don't think we'll win, mainly cos I don't think we really care enough to. We'll still be playing some of our juniors I reckon.

There's a bit of scuttlebut around the place that there's an international signing announcement being made this week, but obviously for Wednesday we're limited to what we currently have.

Can't wait for the season to start - especially with the WC Eagles and Canberra Raiders going so poorly. I've gotta remember to call up and sort my membership this week.
Where do you hear these rumours? The forum use to be on the money at times and when the season starts, I usually get some good inside goss from these couple of old guys who are original members that must know someone inside the club.

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Where do you hear these rumours? The forum use to be on the money at times and when the season starts, I usually get some good inside goss from these couple of old guys who are original members that must know someone inside the club.
I read that you guys were making a signing on twitter, it's not always right of course but it's better than nothing.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I read that you guys were making a signing on twitter, it's not always right of course but it's better than nothing.
From where? Is there some source other than just random bloke named Dave with 6 followers that has some intel? We are water tight when it comes to player transfers, very rarely does any news come out ahead of time.

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
From where? Is there some source other than just random bloke named Dave with 6 followers that has some intel? We are water tight when it comes to player transfers, very rarely does any news come out ahead of time.
One guy called Melb Victory News gives out some decent rumours, Mr Walker is good for general A League ones- send me a PM and I'll link them to you

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

I mentioned last season that I know a guy who works at the club. He's in the office, not around the team, so there are times when I take what he says with a grain of salt, and there are times that he doesn't hear about stuff that's all over twitter - he's proven a pretty good source in the past though. There are times that I've thought some of the really reputable rumour-mongers (from the old MV.net forum) had either the same source, or they had a guy that worked really bloody closely with my guy and who heard the exact same things.

(All that said, the rumour I posted last night about a foreign signing didn't come from him, it just came from twitter.)

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
After doing some research, is a VERY aggresive CDM/CB. A complete nutcase apparently, averages almost a yellow a match, which in Argentina is insane. The refs there are notoriously lenient.
Good signing IMO, he looks like he'll fit right in with Muscy!!
Hahaha one of the guys I asked about him says he's the biggest thug in Argentina lol.
Very good player apparently however, think a Kilkenny sort.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
I think with Milligan back we'll find the membership numbers rise up this season, through that count is from before his re-signing. I've spoken with a lot of people that are going to take up a membership all because Milsy is back! shows how much he's regarded at the club.

After a bit of thinking and changing my mind, I'm one of those people!

Following the treatment of fans last season, then Rojas leaving, I was done. Troisi didn't impress me after what a tool his was for 3 months.

But Milligan got me back on board.

The whole cat-xplus/catx-12 thing seams a bit of a joke, especially with Australia Day at AAMI this season, and especially when the only Category A game past season was against a shitty opponent in the Christmas break. Not much we can do about it though.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
After doing some research, is a VERY aggresive CDM/CB. A complete nutcase apparently, averages almost a yellow a match, which in Argentina is insane. The refs there are notoriously lenient.
Good signing IMO, he looks like he'll fit right in with Muscy!!
Hahaha one of the guys I asked about him says he's the biggest thug in Argentina lol.
Very good player apparently however, think a Kilkenny sort.

What is this? I googled the dude and found not much

Back