2017/18 Melbourne Victory Thread. We Are The Champions!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he under contract? I reckon A League clubs need to start putting their foot down with players under contract, if there is a release clause then it should be paid. Also sick of us letting players leave then welcoming them back a year down the track when it all turns to s**t.

Players like Rojas I can accept as he wasn't chasing a pay day where this is just dumb on Rhys' behalf. He should be looking to get back into the national squad not chasing easy money. Must figure his time is nearing the end with all the injuries.

Is he under contract? I reckon A League clubs need to start putting their foot down with players under contract, if there is a release clause then it should be paid.

That would only hurt the league in the long run. The A League isn't the most attractive destination when we're in such a footballing back water and have the salary cap to contend with. If A league clubs didn't provide the opportunity for O/S based Aussies to use as a spring board to rejuvenate their careers then a lot of the better players wouldn't even be interested in coming back here IMO.

not surprised been rumored ever since our Grand Final win but bloody hell do we have any players left?

King Kenny signed on for 2 more years?

Not sure how to feel about Bes. On one hand it frees up a marquee spot that Bes probably didn't justify for the upcoming season, cos he'd slowed noticeably last season. On the other hand though - it's Bes, and I'm ******* gutted :'(

New signings.

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/news/victory-signs-experienced-full-backs

Melbourne Victory is pleased to confirm it has signed Storm Roux and Corey Brown for the next two seasons.

Roux, a New Zealand international, joins from the Central Coast Mariners where he made in excess of 100 appearances over five seasons with the club, playing mostly as a right-back.

Brown, a regular fixture at left-back in Australia's under-age ranks, heads to Melbourne following seven seasons and 88 A-League appearances with Brisbane Roar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are good gets. Love to see a combination of Geria and Deng (assuming Williams is gone) in central defence and Storm right and Brown left.
I like this, getting some new younger blood into the club. Hopefully Hope and Kenny get some more game time and we can keep George (if Bes leaves)

So we've lost

Theoharis
Donachie
Leroy
Bes
Williams

I know they were both technically "releases", but I reckon Nigro & Waring are guys that we'll regret losing one day as well. Nigro in particular - you can't keep a bloke like Broich in your pocket like he did on debut if you can't play.

Sanchez, Austin and McGilp are others that we've sent packing. Not any great loss there, but worth noting cos it leaves at least 8 squad spots for us to fill. Could be an interesting off season to come.

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't land Spiranovic. You can't be too pissed off, cos we don't know what Glory paid him - but a Victorian boy, a first team Socceroo before he went to China, and I don't think he's even 30 yet. He could've been for us what Williams was last season. (Incidentally though - if you've lived in Melbourne, played in Germany, played in Sydney, which is a s**t hole but at least a real city... why the * would you choose to go live in Perth? Footballers must have real low expectations when it comes to standard of living. I've been around Australia, North America & Southern Africa, and Perth is probably the worst city I've been to. Good job only signing a one-year deal I guess.)

Should have gone harder at Spiranovic, especially if the rumours of Williams being on the way out are correct.

Brown and Roux are great gets.

Bes going means some $$ just opened up for Leroy.

Need a striker, Athiu not going to score too many.

Got my membership renewel letter today. Concession with North active at both etihad and aami. Without checking my bank statements from last year I feel the prices have gone up quite a bit, anyone else?

My renewal "letter" made a pretty big deal about prices being frozen from last year. Have another look and let me know whether yours says that - that'd be outrageous if they've frozen some (and promoted it pretty hard) but increased others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back