2017/18 off-season set up

Delistment Rule -Tyrone Vickery Case: Should cases like this fit the 0% salary paid delistment rule?

• Yes - Most/all players retiring with year/s remaining on their AFL contract should be eligible

• No - keep the rule as it has been applied in the past - only clear-cut players eligible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2006
MH370
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Woodville, GCFC, Roopena
This is to keep tabs on what we need to do to get the off-season bidding and trading going in case we don't hear from Russian

Timeline for off-season (bidding/trading/drafts etc)

Calculate:
Team salaries for 2018
Bonus salaries for winners etc, if continued
Player salary minimums for bidding/trading/extending over 1-5 years
2nd year contracts for 2016/17 season draftees
Veteran eligibility - and update years at club for all players
Veteran salaries
Rookie promotion and senior contract extension offers

Determine priority picks - under 20 premiership points (before penalties)
Determine draft order - post #13 https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-18-off-season-set-up.1180757/#post-53181269
Determine re-rookie eligible players (and rookie salaries)
Determine first year extension eligible players

Created contracted player lists
Create uncontracted player lists

G/S/T details, if any

Anything else?

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I think you've covered most of it.

A couple of other minor things that need to be finalised:

All added to the OP:

Determine priority picks

Do we have priority picks in this game? What is the criteria?
We could sort this one out very quickly

Last edited:
All added to the OP:

Determine priority picks

Do we have priority picks in this game? What is the criteria?
We could sort this one out very quickly
New coach with a list he is surprised finished ninth? ;)

New coach with a list he is surprised finished ninth? ;)
I'm guessing the other coaches will be against it ;)

But generally new coaches do get at least one opportunity to rip up an unwanted contract, so you can at least look at which current contract you don't want, if any :thumbsu:

From rules thread:
Draft period
The national draft order will be in reverse ladder order from the previous season, priority picks after the first round will be given to teams gaining less than 20 points.

That would be less than 20 points prior to any penalty points I would imagine.

And this for Pie 4 Life:

New coach amnesty
When a club gets a new coach, the new coach may elect at any time during his first off season to tear up one contract signed by his predecessor. He may then delist the player at no cost or bid for a new offer.

Yeah familiar with that one cheers. I just looked at the list and thought it was bottom four for sure. But I think it has a lot of "ugly" if you like, fantasy players that are more suited to DT/AFL Fantasy than SuperCoach. Like I saw Ebert on $600k plus and was like W.T.F.? Then looked at his average and I thought ah he's better in this form of fantasy.

1st Round

1 - Adelaide Lions
2 - Gippsland Sharks
3 - StKilda Titans
4 - Dragon Island Southerners
5 - Western Vultures
6 - Northern Reds
7 - West Coast
8 - Brisbane Bears
9 - Launceston
10 - Harbour City
11 - Wagga Wagga
12 - Port Adelaide
13 - Ballarat Dragons
14 - Melbourne
15 - Gold Coast Devils
16 - Geelong

Priority Round

17 - Adelaide Lions
18 - Gippsland Sharks
19 - StKilda Titans

2nd Round

20 - Adelaide Lions
21 - Gippsland Sharks
22 - StKilda Titans
23 - Dragon Island Southerners
24 - Western Vultures
25 - Northern Reds
26 - West Coast
27 - Brisbane Bears
28 - Launceston
29 - Harbour City
30 - Wagga Wagga
31 - Port Adelaide
32 - Ballarat Dragons
33 - Melbourne
34 - Gold Coast Devils
35 - Geelong

And so forth.

Thats taking into account that the way I read it as teams with less than 20 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do I have to announce the contract tear up prior to the period or can I work out if anyone is interested in certain players because I'm tossing up between a few?
In the past it could be done later.
I'd think you'd be able to hold off until any time in the off-season process before list lodgement, unless anyone else thinks it was different?

I'd think you'd be able to hold off until any time in the off-season process before list lodgement, unless anyone else thinks it was different?

I think there is a cut off point at some stage but not straight away.

Finished November 12 last year, which was during the bidding/trading period.

Just on salary cap:

Salaries

Salary Cap
There is a salary cap approximately equal to that of AFL clubs
2012: $8,600,000
2013: $9,100,000
2014: $9,600,000
2015: $10,000,000
2016: $10,400,000
2017: $11,500,000

The AFL salary cap in 2018 is approximately $12,450,000 ($12,445,028). However it should be noted the AFL salary cap in 2017 was only $10,370,000 compared to the AFLTM salary cap of $11,500,000.

Last edited:
Just on salary cap:

The AFL salary cap in 2018 is approximately $12,450,000 ($12,445,028). However it should be noted the AFL salary cap in 2017 was only $10,370,000 compared to the AFLTM salary cap of $11,500,000.
The jump in salary between 2016-2017 was double any of the previous jumps.
I think that might have been a one-off situation to allow for the distribution of salaries for players from the two teams that folded that season.

I might be wrong, but I was thinking the increase would drop back down to $400,000 - $500,000, resulting in a salary cap of around $10,800,000 - $10,900,000?

The jump in salary between 2016-2017 was double any of the previous jumps.
I think that might have been a one-off situation to allow for the distribution of salaries for players from the two teams that folded that season.

I might be wrong, but I was thinking the increase would drop back down to $400,000 - $500,000, resulting in a salary cap of around $10,800,000 - $10,900,000?

I would assume that depends if we have the same amount of players on our list again? If it stays the same (44) i'd assume it would increase again to either 11,900,000 or 12,000,000 or some of us with contacts from last season will find it hard to keep everyone under the cap. I'd say the only way to reduced it though would be to decrease list sizes. I could be wrong though so happy to hear other thoughts

Back