2017/18 off-season set up

Delistment Rule -Tyrone Vickery Case: Should cases like this fit the 0% salary paid delistment rule?

• Yes - Most/all players retiring with year/s remaining on their AFL contract should be eligible

• No - keep the rule as it has been applied in the past - only clear-cut players eligible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m 90% in the scrap GST camp, but we will need to be more vigilant in calling out coaches misplaying players

The other 10% of me says keep it in some form but replacement players are ok at a fraction of the score

I've never understood why 2nd year draftees get an increase in salary mid-contract. If the coach is increasig the contract duration the salary increase make sense, but not if it stays at 2 years.
Any coach who doesn't extend their contracts will end up having to bid for them to retain them after the two years anyway so why do they get penalised mid-contract?

I'm in favour of retaining the GST rules in some form so everyone needs to make an effort to have cover in those positions, but I think the penalties for not being able to fill those spots on match day were too harsh.
I think if you have a named GST player available they should be named in those positions over anyone who isn't GST, but a non-GST player named in those positions should be allowed when the appropriate player isn't available, but score half points

Ok if we are going to setup the offseason soon we need some decisions fairly quickly:

1. Total Player Payments (Salary Cap) for the season (and (if) any bonus for winners)
2. Minimum salary
3. Decision whether or not to increase salaries for 2nd year of draftees contract.

The other decision that can come a little later, but still needs to be made shortly:
4. GST rules and eligibility.

If we can come to a decision on the first 3 points I can start planning the off-season salaries for players. I've put my thoughts below but happy to have a bit more discussion.

I propose the following:

1. Total Player Payments - increase TPP to $12,000,000 (from $11,500,000) - this is below AFL salary cap by about $500K. I'm also open to increasing the TPP to $12,500,000 to match AFL TPP, particularly as we have more players on lists than AFL and drafted player salaries are based on the AFL CBA.

2. Increase minimum salary to 140/175/210/245/280 from 130/163/195/228/260

This would mean minimum own player bids are:
155/194/233/272/311 (10% reduction if win own player)

and minimum opposition player bids would be:
168/210/252/294/336

3. No change to second year of contract of recently drafted players. To be honest, the explanation on how this is normally calculated confused me but I have worked it out recently and we can apply it if we want. All I had to do was find a copy of the AFL CBA.

4. Change GST rules slightly -
No limit on number of GST players on list.
Minimum of 5 GST players (reduced from 6) must be selected in team (2 Goalkickers, 2 Stoppers, 1 Tapper)
Eligibility of players based on AFL Prospectus player description of key forward (goalkicker), key back (stopper) and ruckman (tapper). The only problem I see with this is timing of the book being released not being before off-season begins.
Have a hardship exception where coaches can nominate a temporary replacement GST player in the case of extreme number of injuries/suspensions.
Introduce the ability for coaches to nominate players for a new GST category based on new role during the season. Would need more than the odd game in a new role to gain new GST status. Perhaps voted on by coaches as to eligibility?

Thoughts on the above?

I'm generally in favour of not tinkering too much with what we've had over previous years, especially as it's looking more and more likely that we'll be embarking on this off-season without Russian. If we've figured out the underlying formulas for most things, I'd prefer to keep most things as is.

I'm okay with the proposed $12,000,000 cap that most others seem in favour of. The rise is more in line with previous seasons with the exception of last season's large spike.

I would advocate keeping the bonus salary awarded to the previous GF winner and runner-up. When I was finishing mid table for a few years running, having that as the prize for winning made a big difference in determining the moves I made to put myself in a position to get that bonus (as opposed to continually rebuilding around draft picks etc). Now having been in amongst it the last few seasons, I've found it a great incentive to continue winning in a 'can't rest on your laurels' way given that the consequence most likely forces you to make major changes to your list.

I'm happy with the proposed increase to minimum contracts given the increase in salary cap.

As stated earlier, I'm generally in favour of keeping what we've already had so I would prefer we didn't change the second year contracts as it stands now. Having said that, if the one change that we wanted to implement as a majority was scrapping it, I wouldn't fight that battle too hard. I get that coaches should enjoy the benefit of drafting well for at least two years on the draftee contracts, so no major qualms.

I'll have a bit more of a think on the GST points before I share my thoughts there.

Great work by all - fightingfury_88 especially - to pick it up from Russian though.

I’m happy to scrap the salary cap bonuses after next season - can’t do it right now as that was the stated prize for last season, but anything that makes the top team stronger is always gonna get a thumbs down from me

The main issue we have to is come to a consensus on the GST rule. Obviously some teams struggled and it’s a huge part of preparing our lists for the following season.

Maybe someone should make a new thread with a poll on the different options we have and once everyone has voted we go with the majority vote?

The main issue we have to is come to a consensus on the GST rule. Obviously some teams struggled and it’s a huge part of preparing our lists for the following season.

Maybe someone should make a new thread with a poll on the different options we have and once everyone has voted we go with the majority vote?
Good idea. I've started a poll for this thread. Coaches please vote on what you think and if you wish, comment in the thread.

Keeping it simple at this stage: either vote a yes or no to having some sort of GST rule in place. If yes ends up the majority I will setup another poll to determine how to best implement it and work out the rules around it.

Also, you have to give the premiers and runner up a salary increase as it’s always been in place.

There has to be some reward for winning?? Maybe only the premier gets it from next season on?

Chuck in $10, winner takes all

Or a perpetual shield

I’d put emojis in this post but I’m only half joking

Good idea. I've started a poll for this thread. Coaches please vote on what you think and if you wish, comment in the thread.

Keeping it simple at this stage: either vote a yes or no to having some sort of GST rule in place. If yes ends up the majority I will setup another poll to determine how to best implement it and work out the rules around it.
Just tagging everyone to bring attention to the poll that's been added to the thread (see quote).
ShaunDuggan
Roylion
Marklar_33
loopy_cam
GeeCat
knobby
Gee Dub
Danoz
sante
eddiespocket
Bluesy
Continstar
Pie 4 Life

I know some have already voted but I'm not sure who has done it, so I'm just quoting all coaches. If people are in favour of some kind of GST rule we need to work out the details so the sooner people vote the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just tagging everyone to bring attention to the poll that's been added to the thread (see quote above).
ShaunDuggan
Roylion
loopy_cam
GeeCat

I know some have already voted but I'm not sure who has done it, so I'm just quoting all coaches. If people are in favour of some kind of GST rule we need to work out the details so the sooner people vote the better.

Just tagging everyone to bring attention to the poll that's been added to the thread (see quote above).
knobby
Gee Dub
Danoz
sante

eddiespocket
Bluesy
Continstar
Pie 4 Life

I’m new so I’m easy!

I understand what GST rules are trying to do but it needs some flexibility. Especially if you’ve got no one to fill a spot, e.g. if you have no ruck, swing in a forward etc and vice versa

1st Round

1 - Adelaide Lions
2 - Gippsland Sharks
3 - StKilda Titans
4 - Dragon Island Southerners
5 - Western Vultures
6 - Northern Reds
7 - West Coast
8 - Brisbane Bears
9 - Launceston
10 - Harbour City
11 - Wagga Wagga
12 - Port Adelaide
13 - Ballarat Dragons
14 - Melbourne
15 - Gold Coast Devils
16 - Geelong
Just noting that the draft order is slightly different to this. I thought the same as you that finals didn't come into draft order but after looking at last year's order, West Coast had pick 15 (2nd last pick in round) despite finishing 6th on the ladder as they made the Grand Final that year. That suggests to me that finals to have an impact on draft position. As such I believe the 1st Rd Draft Order is:

1 - Adelaide Lions
2 - Gippsland Sharks
3 - StKilda Titans
4 - Dragon Island Southerners
5 - Western Vultures
6 - Northern Reds
7 - West Coast
8 - Brisbane Bears
9 - Launceston
10 - Wagga Wagga
11 - Ballarat Dragons
12 - Melbourne