2017-18 Southwest Division Preview Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by peternorth, Sep 26, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. peternorth

peternorth Facts Machine

Richmond
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]

Man, tough tough tough is how one describes this division. There was a seismic shake when Chris Paul up and left for the humidity of Houston. How will he fit in with ball dominant James Harden? Can they coexist? Houston, an Harden, won many fans last year I felt. He took his game to another stratosphere.

In Texas the perennial battle between Kidd Vicious Dallas and Ron San Antonio rages on. Dirk, now the NBA elder statesman, continues to defy age with his craftiness. Today sources indicate that he will spend time at centre in his 20th season. The Spurs, now very much Kawai's team always feature in the playoffs and will aim to go one better and extract revenge on the champion Warriors.

Tony Allen has taken his talents to division rivals the Pelicans feat nufan and Son of Skeletor . But at least the Pellies re-signed Dante Cunningham, which is good right?

Who's gonna come out trumps from the south west?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Kidd Vicious

Kidd Vicious White Knight Mangina

GWS
    Other teams:
    Make sure to read Ron's preview just before bedtime. You will never have a better night's sleep.

I will process now in inverse order from bad to Spurs.

Memphis (32-50). Gasol and Conley are still good, but the rest of their roster is poor. They get heaps of injuries and Chandler Parsons can't even lock down a Jenner anymore. He's done. And Ive just had a look through their roster and they have no shooting. You couldn't pay me to watch this mob this year.

Dallas (38-44). As Dirk moves into the 2nd half of his career, they do have a shell of s future finally. Dennis Smith may be Westbrook, or Steve Francis. Ill settle for something in between. Harrison Barnes is an elite iso scorer, but doesnt pass, shoot enough 3s or get to the FT line. We have about 9 PGs on our roster so I expect lots of 3 guard lineups running around Dirk screens. Also, we pissed Noel off by not paying him, now we're benching him. He will be traded. Curry might aswell.

New Orleans (44-38). Horrendously lopsided roster. AD and Cousins will have to go against double teams all year. Just not enough talented guards and wings.

Houston (58-24). Yeah 2 dominant PGs and all that, but you can't tell me 2 players as intelligent as Harden and Paul won't find a way to make it work. I predicted they'd win less than 30 games last year so I aint shit about them. Although they won't a championship without a Draymond Green type.

San Antonio (61-21). I don't know who's on their team this year. They will win 60 games.

3. Ron

Ron Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Dall wins 38 games? ****in lol
    They will be lucky to win 38 quarters.

4. Kidd Vicious

GWS
    Other teams:
    Let's see your preview numbnuts?

5. Ron

Ron Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Dallas 18-64.
    Probably the same numbers Dirk will put up from the field.

Look2Me4Guidance likes this.
  6. Kidd Vicious

GWS
    Other teams:
    How's Duncan going?

7. Ron

Ron Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Went out at the right time. Didn't hang around in a lottery bound team, being a liability on defense.

2006_Eagles likes this.
  8. mickelboy182

mickelboy182 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Denver Nuggets
    You really think Dallas will improve?

9. Nakia

Nakia Premiers 07, 09, '11

Geelong
    Other teams:
    NSW, Man Utd, Wonders
    Pelicans will win 50 games this season.

2006_Eagles likes this.
  10. brettman135

brettman135 All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Rockets, Astros, Capitals
    Pels will end up below .500 I reckon.

11. 2006_Eagles

2006_Eagles Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
    [​IMG]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Son of Skeletor

Son of Skeletor Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
    [​IMG]

FINISHED: Somewhere mediocre, for a change. On the plus side we managed to avoid finishing bottom of the SW Division for once, so that's progress.

SNAFFLED: Rajon Rondo, 'Grindfather' Tony Allen, Ian "I'm not even white" Clark, Darius Miller v2.0 & Frank "I'm already injured" Jackson via Draft.

BANISHED: Tim Frazier, Quincy Pondexter. Thankfully the Pels managed to hang on to coveted jewels Omer Asik and Alexis Ajinca.

DRAFTED: Besides the aforementioned Jackson, nobody. Nawlins don't do drafting anymore, we simply wait for the big fish to come to us.

[​IMG]

MODUS OPERANDI: Usually involves several players out with injuries before the season starts - tick.

A large amount of roster turnover is also usually a safe bet - 26 different players donned the legendary Pels' uniform last season alone. At least none of them actually died this time.

On court New Orleans is doing the smart thing and loading up on seven footers - fashion is cyclical, and like mullets and happy pants the days of playing three centres at once is long overdue a second wind. Besides, who needs shooting when you can have five back-up centres on the roster?

[​IMG]

Pictured: The Pelicans brainstrust plot their next move.

TOKEN UPLIFTING IMAGE: Here you go.

EXPERT FAN ANALYSIS: Please enjoy this Q & A with local Pels devotee nufan , conducted live from hospital bedside - hey, it's New Orleans.

Will the Pels miss Solomon Hill? Can you believe that this is actually a serious question?

How do they replace his minutes in the rotation?

Can Rajon Rondo work with this roster?

Should this team play fast or slow?

On a similar tangent, do you think a Princeton style offence like the Kings of yesteryear used to employ would work with this roster? Basically a high-low post combo with lots of cuts, screens and hand-offs?

Jrue Holiday is now richer than Croesus - what does he have to do to instill genuine faith among Pelican tragics like yourself?

Should any player signing with Nawlins immediately consider life insurance?

What could the Pels learn from the Richmond football club?

WORD ASSOCIATION TIME:

Alvin Gentry - Fired

Omer Asik - Joke

Medical department - Punch line

Playoffs - Hopeful

Smoothie - Tony Allen's inner monologue

Chicago - **** off Dez!

CRYSTAL BALL: Will we get a weekly Bill Simmons Anthony Davis-to-the-Celtics twitter trade idea for the entire upcoming season?

[​IMG]

2006_Eagles, nufan, largebus and 2 others like this.
  13. 2006_Eagles

2006_Eagles Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
    Once again, looks to be the strongest division in the comp

14. brettman135

brettman135 All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Rockets, Astros, Capitals
    Weird seeing all 5 teams lose today.