2017/18 Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Righteo in his studliness had the right idea!

Figured with the Gabba test starting tomorrow it would be a good time to get up our annual cricket thread. Kind of sneaked up on me a bit this year what with all the draft hoopla

Starts 08:00 AM AWST

Australia
: 1 Cameron Bancroft, 2 David Warner, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Steven Smith (capt), 5 Pete Handscomb, 6 Shaun Marsh, 7 Tim Paine (wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Josh Hazlewood

England: (possible) 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Mark Stoneman, 3 James Vince, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Dawid Malan, 6 Moeen Ali, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Jake Ball, 10 Stuart Broad 11 James Anderson

Stats and trivia
  • Australia have not lost a Test match at the Gabba since 1988, with England not winning there since 1986

• England have claimed the Ashes in four of the past five series between the two nations, leaving 2013-14 in Australia as the exception

• Four Australian players - Smith, Warner, Lyon, Hazlewood, Marsh and Starc - remain from the team that lost to England in the previous series in 2015. England have six - Cook, Root, Bairstow, Moeen, Broad and Anderson.

• Lyon enters the series needing 23 wickets to surpass Craig McDermott and move into sixth on the all-time list of Australian Test wicket-takers
Prediction - Aus win series 2-1. Ch 9 commentary team to have driven me mad by lunch

Last edited by a moderator:
i think so. also, might be a good time to create a thread just for the summer of cricket since it should see a bit of action. Need somewhere to vent when Smarsh and Paine inevitably fail
And rejoice when the Poms batsmen are pissing themselves facing the Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood.

i think so. also, might be a good time to create a thread just for the summer of cricket since it should see a bit of action. Need somewhere to vent when Smarsh and Paine inevitably fail

edit- 8AM apparently

I know Marsh is a bit frail mentally but can't shake the feeling that he just might have a pretty good series.

I want to see Cummins/Starc replicate Johno 13/14. I'm with Lyon in hoping some english careers are ended this series. I have a feeling it'll be tighter than some Aussie commentators are expecting, both teams have frail batting lineups. Our bowlers are better than theirs though and that is our main avenue to win the series IMO.

I know Marsh is a bit frail mentally but can't shake the feeling that he just might have a pretty good series.
I bloody hope so.

Quiet down those Eastern Stater naysayers.

I bloody hope so.

Quiet down those Eastern Stater naysayers.
This.. the hordes demanding Maxwell as a lock is driving me nuts.

Pace attack will rip the poms to shreds IMO. Watch them win the toss tomorrow and bowl.. mental fragility begins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might add.. if you can see of the new ball.. Anderson and Broad are useless, Woakes is a limited overs cricketer masquerading in the test team. Haven't seen Ball much

Aussie pace attack to rip the nancies to shreds.
Anderson will return to playing Eddie Munster & Broad to play Jack Skellington in the live action version of the Nightmare Before Christmas
Result 3 nil

Our pace attack will dominate but that might still not be enough because our batting is shocking, the worse it's been since guys like Greg Ritchie and Mike Veletta were getting a game.

Our pace attack will dominate but that might still not be enough because our batting is shocking, the worse it's been since guys like Greg Ritchie and Mike Veletta were getting a game.
But i'd argue their batting and bowling attacks are worse than ours. Fair to say by the looks of things it won't be the most memorable Ashes in history.

Maxwell on standby for Warner (neck injury) and S Marsh (back) If those two don't play England would go in as favourites for mine.

Warner should be right but who knows with Marsh - unfortunately he has not been durable enough over his career to enable him to nail down a permanent place in the side and this must be his last chance. It will be time for Australia to stop backing him in if he breaks down this time.

I doubt either side are good enough to bat long enough to force a draw unless they are playing on a road so my expectation is for results in all matches unless the weather gods intervene. Australia to regain the Ashes if their bowlers prove to better than England's as expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back