VFL 2017/18 VFL Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile key defender Elliot Le Grice phoned general manager John Mennie last Tuesday saying he was on the move, most likely to Collingwood VFL. Mennie said the club was disappointed to lose four-year player Le Grice, who told Leader he would wait until after the drafts before putting pen to paper with the Pies. He is mindful that Collingwood’s selections may impact on his opportunities. There is also a slight chance that St Kilda will take Le Grice, which would keep him at Sandy anyway.

Sounds like a Sure Thing Now that he was not Drafted'

http://www.vflfooty.com/content/footy-news-bayside-local-parer

Mihocek coming in. Le Grice likely. Answerth rumour. Woodward if he gets on the park. They're all some serious VFL footy players to add to the side. We're taking the VFL team seriously!

Re-contracted for 2018:
Matt Smith, Marty Hore, Gus Borthwick, Lachlan Tardrew, Alex Woodward, Lachlan Howe, Campbell Lane, Stephen Tahana, Kye Beveridge, Jackson Starcevich

Confirmed departures:
Nick Gray, Josh Turner, Marcus Alessi, Max Kelly, Lachlan Wallace, Dale Hinkley, Sam Barnett, Ash Close

New Signings:

Jack Roughsedge

A tough inside midfielder from the Oakleigh Chargers, Roughsedge is a resilient character. A TAC premiership player in 2015, the 19-year-old has overcame a career threatening leg injury to keep his AFL dream alive. Touted as a future captain, the midfielder marked his return to the game in 2017, featuring in five TAC Cup games, while recording more than 28 disposals, seven clearances and six tackles.

Sean Hetherington
A quick midfielder who is capable of playing inside and outside, Hetherington joins the VFL Pies after playing at the Calder Cannons and 38 VFL games with Williamstown. In 2017, the 23-year-old played local football at Rupertswood, kicking 47 goals from 20 games.

Daniel Stanford
Yet another Oakleigh Charger to suit up at the Holden Centre, Stanford joins the program as a versatile tall who can play at either end of the ground. The 19-year-old featured in 17 TAC Cup games this year, averaging 15 disposals. Stanford also played three senior VFL games for eventual premiers, Port Melbourne.

http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-11-16/vfl-preseason-schedule-list-update-

Close gone aye. Any rumours on key forwards? We're as skint there as anywhere in the AFL let alone VFL. Or will Mihocek go forward?

Looking at our list profile i'm actually getting this feeling we might send McLarty forward. It'll be interesting if we see him train with the forwards. So far he's been training in defence at this early stage of preseason though.

Mihocek coming in. Le Grice likely. Answerth rumour. Woodward if he gets on the park. They're all some serious VFL footy players to add to the side. We're taking the VFL team seriously!

Chris Dixon is taking the VFL Seriously which I doubt the Club has done before

Looking at our list profile i'm actually getting this feeling we might send McLarty forward. It'll be interesting if we see him train with the forwards. So far he's been training in defence at this early stage of preseason though.

McLarty has more Chance playing AFL up Forward Instead of Back

McLarty has more Chance playing AFL up Forward Instead of Back

Not unless he does it at VFL first. Well you'd hope. The Keeffe cluster fumble should probably have taught me different.

Not unless he does it at VFL first. Well you'd hope. The Keeffe cluster fumble should probably have taught me different.

That what I meant. He Plays Forward at VFL Level as there more Spots up Forward to take then down back

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if it's still likely that we'll be getting this chap. If he's not as good as signed already you'd think he may be concerned that we've brought in a couple of key defensive types (AFL list) in the last couple of days, and they would obviously be given priority at selection time.

In other VFL news, Collingwood's Jordan Collopy has signed with Vermont in the EFL. And Brede Seccull (who played for us quite a few years back and has had a successful time with South Adelaide in the SANFL - 2016 B&F and SANFL Team of the Year) has joined Sandringham.

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375

Le Grice not the only zebra we're chasing. Thanks maybe due to the saints for forcing a lift of Sandringham's AFL player cap.

http://www.vflfooty.com/content/footy-news-bayside-local-parer
It seems we won't be getting Kade Answerth:-
In other Collingwood VFL related news (which may have been missed), Ben Paton (who played for our VFL side this year) was picked up by St Kilda from Murray Bushrangers in the National Draft (#46) the other day. I wonder if we had any interest in him?

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-11-24/2017-nab-afl-draft-pick-no-46-ben-paton

At the end of the championships, Paton played two games for Collingwood in the VFL, impressing with his seamless transition against senior bodies.

The reports of The Moose's departure have been greatly exaggerated...

Unexpected, but not unwelcome, his modest 2017 aside.

Last edited:
The reports of The Moose's departure have been greatly exaggerated...

Unexpected, but not unwelcome, his meagre 2017 aside.

How could that be when the Club said he Left?

Guess Change of Mind

You've answered your own question.

Still employed by the club I assume and given we've opted for KPD's through the draft and we're a little light on for KPF's it makes sense to get him signed on, even if he ultimately sees little VFL game time.

Was suggesting McLarty be given opportunities up forward this year. I guess between him, Stanford, Starcevich and with Ash Close re-signing we've got a few options.

Is Michael Still going around again in 2018? Has he overcome his injury issues?

Was suggesting McLarty be given opportunities up forward this year. I guess between him, Stanford, Starcevich and with Ash Close re-signing we've got a few options.

Is Michael Still going around again in 2018? Has he overcome his injury issues?

I thought Close had left? That's good news that he's stuck around. Not sure about Still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back