Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Less than a week until our pre-season starts with our year 1-4 & AFWL players returning on Monday.

Full squad training begins on December 4th.

Looking forward to seeing this guy on the track...

c9846d9d3971861e1839f011a2a432a4

Are all our trainings going to be closed sessions again?

Just the ones where we learn new tactics to beat...

Richmond

"Okay everyone, try not to all be s**t on the same day, and we'll go blackmail the umpires into calling the game fairly"

Reckon the improvement this year will come from Milera (will become a very good wingman), Brouch (will continue from where he left off late last season), Greenwood (will step up another level again with more endurance), Gallucci (will play 15 games and will play well) and particularly Poholke (reckon he'll really surprise and play around half the games).

Going off his SANFL form, Doedee would have performed if given the opportunity at AFL level in 2017. I reckon we'll see similar output from him this year, just at AFL level. He'll improve again in his second AFL year in 2019

If he must be there early, then why not have essentially the whole remaining GF side do the same? He was hardly alone.

There are some players you expect will bust their ass anyway, like Sloane and Walker. Those senior players have shown up early, put in the hard yards, helped out the young players, and shown strong leadership in the past.

Jenkins? He's the sort of player that appears to do the bare minimum required. Never shown an ounce of leadership in his career. He is the one that should be there and it would set a great example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of the above...

Matthew Signorello

Reason : Won't be on a "managed" program this pre-season recovering from shoulder surgery, given a full on pre-season expect him to improve out of sight and might even push for an AFL game or two later in the season.

Do you think Signorello will be an impact player at SANFL level this year? It's where most of his footy will be played. He hasn't had many eye catching moments so far (not a big game, just a moment of showing something). I don't profess to be on your level of talent awareness or even to have seen as many games as others, but Signorello so far has played pretty average or worse in the SANFL matches I saw him get a rare touch in. I don't mean to belittle him or those that see something in him, he does have a knack of getting around the ball and looks like he could be a decent outside player. However most times I saw him he was perpetually fumbling or 'clangering' the ball whether under assumed pressure or none.

Do you think an injury free pre-season will help him overcome those deficiencies as his strength and fitness pick up? What do you think is his ceiling as an AFL player for Adelaide? Cheers for reading.

Improvement next year will come from the development of keath, doedee, gallucci, gov, hampton, knight and hopefully brad crouch taking it to another level. Gibbs will add class and smith will help come finals time. Big year for walker and jenkins who both damaged their brand grand final day. Feel himmelberg is a smokey to get game time next year if jenkins doesnt improve. Keath will be our most improved player next year and will come on similar to gov in 2016.

Last edited:
Contested possessions per 100% game time
- Dangerfield 21
- Oliver 20.2
- M. Crouch 17.5
- B. Crouch 16.9
- Sloane 16.6
- Greenwood 15.3
- Gibbs 11.9

Greenwood is in good company for a first year player. If he improves 20 percent then he is one of the top contested players in the league.

I went Milera. I think another pre season and resultant increase in game involvement and he will be an important player for us this season.

There’s a few people who say the signs are bad because he doesn’t get involved enough in the game, and he doesn’t apply enough defensive pressure.

However when comparing to players of a similar role in their 18th and 19th years his numbers are pretty typical.

His tackle numbers of 2.1, 2.2 per game are also typical for the role and age.

They don’t assure his success, but neither is the usual criticism is not supported.

We can all see that he has incredible quality when he has the ball. Escapes from traffic and uses the ball thoughtfully. That’s rare.

I’m backing him and excited to see what happens next year. His pre season and therefore improvement (or otherwise) matters!

————————————-

Milera was 18 at the start of his first season, 19 at the start of his second. Here’s how those two years compare to other wingmen.

(Where available, using Footywire SC points as the best available single number. Other numbers like disposals and tackles tell the same story, but stuffed if I’m going to go through all that again on mobile on my way into work...)

Milera:
- 18 yo 8 games @ 52 SC per game
- 19 yo 16 games @ 59 SC per game

Brad Hill:
- 18 yo 5 games @ 28 SC per game
- 19 yo 21 games @ 60 SC per game

Nigel Lappin
- 18 yo 17 games @ 12 disposals per game
- 19 yo 19 games @ 14 disposals per game

Leigh Montagna
- 18 yo 1 games @ 4 disposals per game
- 19 yo 12 games @ 10 disposals per game

D-Mac
- 18 yo 0 games
- 19 yo 18 games @ 52 SC per game

Andrew Gaff
- 18 yo 14 games @ 61 SC per game
- 19 yo 22 games @ 90 SC per game

Whitfield
- 18 yo 19 games @ 73 SC per game
- 19 yo 11 games @ 79 SC per game

Sam Doherty
- 18 yo 0 games
- 19 yo 13 games @ 53 SC per game

Jason Johannisen
- 18 yo 0 games
- 19 yo 3 games @ 60 SC per game

Isaac Smith, Jake Lloyd, Rory Atkins - not yet drafted

His numbers are pretty typical. Gaff and Whitfield the exceptions, and both were very early picks.

Contested possessions per 100% game time
- Dangerfield 21
- Oliver 20.2
- M. Crouch 17.5
- B. Crouch 16.9
- Sloane 16.6
- Greenwood 15.3
- Gibbs 11.9

Greenwood is in good company for a first year player. If he improves 20 percent then he is one of the top contested players in the league.
His contested, tackle and pressure act numbers for time on ground are sky high. Often led us in then despite playing 20-30 minutes less than every other midfielder.

I love Gov, but I feel the way that he plays hrs body could give out at any time.

I hope he spends this preseason working on strengthening and balancing the pressure on he's key muscles so that his body will stand up for the whole season.

If I have this right, then people are expecting Doedee, Keath, Galluchi, Poholke, Milera to all play a significant amount of games next season, and Signorello to play a few as well. That's after fitting Gibbs into our team and discounting the possibility of pick 12 being a ready-made player. That's a lot of new faces in a side that ran 2nd and won the minor premiership last season. Who do they replace?
I'm not knocking any one of those players as they are all good value, although there are question marks in my mind whether or not Milera wants it badly enough.

Back