Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is, our opening offer could very well have been the same or even more than any other club would have offered to start negotiations, but as soon as there's any delay it's easy to say "Crows are low-balling" because that narrative is now accepted as fact whether it is true or not .

The low-balling thing is interesting. I don't really think it's likely that we'd rate a player as being worth $4x per year but only offer $x and hope they and their manager are stupid enough to sign. It's prudent to not put your maximum price down in your opening offer. If we rated Jake at $500k/year, offered $450k, but a couple of Vic clubs open up at $750k, then it's easy to call low-ball. Reality would be that we've offered close to our full rating. Gut feel is that it's less about low-balling and more about a culture of not ponying up on promise.

So the options are either:
  1. A gun midfielder who would be wasted at HBF
  2. An aging senior player doing the "Crows shuffle" of playing every position on the park
  3. A proven spud
:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$:$
Yep.

Lose-lose-lose options there.

2. An aging senior player doing the "Crows shuffle" of playing every position on the park
  3. A proven spud

Who’ the spud? I think that description is a Little harsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. A proven spud

Well I'd rather not see Douglas in the midfield again. Could maybe tolerate him in defence.

Mackay is already a known quantity in defence and he's not that good.

We didn't overpay for Gibbs to see him playing in the backline.

Tbh I'm kind of surprised they are persisting with Hampton as a midfielder. He looks like a guy who should be playing hbf to me.

Well I'd rather not see Douglas in the midfield again. Could maybe tolerate him in defence.

Mackay is already a known quantity in defence and he's not that good.

We didn't overpay for Gibbs to see him playing in the backline.

Tbh I'm kind of surprised they are persisting with Hampton as a midfielder. He looks like a guy who should be playing hbf to me.
I would prefer not to see Douglas in the forward line.

Needs to be either in the midfield or defence.

We are persisting with Hampton as a pressure forward/midfielder.

Just my opinion but I really don't think Hampton should be playing as a midfielder. He just doesn't have any stand out traits that make me think he will flourish there and doesn't win enough of the footy.

Bad things happen when Douglas goes back IMO. I just don't see it at all. It's midfield or bust for me.

When has Douglas played back before?
A couple of years ago I noticed that if he was at a stoppage around opposition goal we'd often concede one. Might be unfair in that it only happened a few times but it stuck with me.

Anyway you said it yourself. When has he ever played back? And he's going to replace our best rebounder. He's a forward of centre player.

It's stats based over the past couple of years if similar things are anything to go by. Gablett hasn't done much in the past 2 years and they don't bat too deep beyond Danger, Selwood, Ablett and Duncan.
That's the thing though, Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett are all pretty damn good players, with Duncan a level below that. Yeah, their next best midfielders are probably Scott Selwood and Cam Guthrie, but I wouldn't have thought 6 teams would have 6 midfielders better than that.

Let's look at the Crows: Sloane, M Crouch, B Crouch, Gibbs, Douglas, Atkins (then Greenwood, Gibson, Milera, Knight, Seedsman, Hampton, Mackay).

I wouldn't consider our top 6 midfielders to be better than Geelongs. Yeah, we bat deeper, and I'd probably take our 4th-6th best midfielders over Geelong's, but that top 3 is pretty bloody good. Only Sloane would be at that level currently (with Mrouch closing fast).

I guess it depends on how deep Champion Data go when comparing midfields. The next best for Geelong are Blicavs, Menegola and Cockatoo followed by raw kids.

Back