Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do agree that making the GF reinforces to the selectors that they are doing the right things, but the rest of your post echoes my feelings. 2 years in a row where selection was about best 22 and not best 19 + 3 or best 20 + 2.

I cant think of too many games where we would have won or lost by playing a few more rookies. Transitioning players in and out reminds me of the Australian Cricket side. Shaun ******* Marsh ffs

Agreed, we went into the Grand Final with clearly the most settled, experienced side, yet lost comfortably. Our best player was completely blanketed and in fact conceded 3 goals to a first year player in his 5th game. I think at times we place too much importance on positions 21/22 in the side, as well as placing too much stock in "experience" for "experience's" sake and not actually understanding why experience is important(ie ability to stand up in the clinches, hit targets under pressure, kick clutch goals and stand up/show those less experienced how to do it when things aren't going the right way). If an experienced player is doesn't display this and isn't a clearly in the best 10-15 players at the club, then they shouldn't be in the side, with Mackay and Otten being prime examples.

So of the three Italians drafted last year, only one has signed. what is unusual is not that the other two have not signed, but that Poholke has. The reason the other two have not could well be that the club, they or both are waiting to see how they perform next year to see what an appropriate extension or price should be.
Poholke is Italian?

The name doesn't sound Italian, to me at least.

So of the three Italians drafted last year, only one has signed. what is unusual is not that the other two have not signed, but that Poholke has. The reason the other two have not could well be that the club, they or both are waiting to see how they perform next year to see what an appropriate extension or price should be.
WTF has ethnicity got to do with it....Kane Johnson, Tyson Stenglein, Nathan Bock, Phil Davis, Patrick Dangerfield, Jake Lever, Charlie Cameron....

Poholke is an Italian name??

https://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/poholke

I do agree that making the GF reinforces to the selectors that they are doing the right things, but the rest of your post echoes my feelings. 2 years in a row where selection was about best 22 and not best 19 + 3 or best 20 + 2.

I cant think of too many games where we would have won or lost by playing a few more rookies. Transitioning players in and out reminds me of the Australian Cricket side. Shaun ******* Marsh ffs
They gave Milera extended chances and many were up in arms about that.

GC injuries each year open opportunities ......the club got games into Milera early, blooded Gallucci ......but players have to be both AFL ready & a position available

I can't think of a player that deserved an opportunity, can you?
Gallucci had 1 game, not sure thats blooding. He also played ok enough to warrant a 2nd game. My concern is why not? Doedee should have had games. Milera has played 25+ games .

Sometimes it's not about deserve either. Poholke , Doedee and Gallucci could have all been given games without affecting results.

Gallucci had 1 game, not sure thats blooding. He also played ok enough to warrant a 2nd game. My concern is why not? Doedee should have had games. Milera has played 25+ games .

Sometimes it's not about deserve either. Poholke , Doedee and Gallucci could have all been given games without affecting results
ALL players in team sports, want selection to be on merit .....particularly when going for a flag

Lever was unhappy being left out ......it causes a cancer amongst the team, which of course supporters don't see behind the scenes

Now if we're Brisbane, that's a different scenario, and players understand that they're in a development phase

ALL players in team sports, want selection to be on merit .....particularly when going for a flag

Lever was unhappy being left out ......it causes a cancer amongst the team, which of course supporters don't see behind the scenes

Now if we're Brisbane, that's a different scenario, and players understand that they're in a development phase
It's always a philosophy difference. I have one that thinks there are times even in a Premiership tilt your can play 1 or 2 kids in games that you are expected to win. If that's arrogance towards another side then boo hoo to them

Jesus Christ, this is the problem with such a fickle supporter base.

"We should have blooded more players, if they deserved it or not"
"Gooch only got 1 game, not sure that's blooding"
"We could have played rookies and won almost, if not just as many games"

*Milera gets an extended run to r15 or so*

"The supporter base is up in arms"
"That's on them (Adelaide FC I think is implied)"

Ffs, if you want to blood youngsters, you must have PATIENCE. Imo, only Gallucci, Doedee and Milera really had any case to an AFL debut last year.

Milera had his run and will be better for it, Gallucci didn't get a decent run and with that I am dissapointed. Otten should never have come in to replace Lever or Gov, and Gooch should have definitely come in for Gov's injuries. I understand why they ran with Otten when Lever was injured, but ffs, once we learnt what a liability he could be, why we didn't play Doedee is beyond me.

We really need to get games into Gooch + Dude and maybe a few into Poholke in 2018. Milera should get another extended run if Pyke has his way IMO.

It's always a philosophy difference. I have one that thinks there are times even in a Premiership tilt your can play 1 or 2 kids in games that you are expected to win. If that's arrogance towards another side then boo hoo to them
I'm same, don't care about what the opposition thinks .....but i do care about team harmony

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ, this is the problem with such a fickle supporter base.

"We should have blooded more players, if they deserved it or not"
"Gooch only got 1 game, not sure that's blooding"
"We could have played rookies and won almost, if not just as many games"

*Milera gets an extended run to r15 or so*

"The supporter base is up in arms"
"That's on them (Adelaide FC I think is implied)"

Ffs, if you want to blood youngsters, you must have PATIENCE. Imo, only Gallucci, Doedee and Milera really had any case to an AFL debut last year.

Milera had his run and will be better for it, Gallucci didn't get a decent run and with that I am dissapointed. Otten should never have come in to replace Lever or Gov, and Gooch should have definitely come in for Gov's injuries. I understand why they ran with Otten when Lever was injured, but ffs, once we learnt what a liability he could be, why we didn't play Doedee is beyond me.

We really need to get games into Gooch + Dude and maybe a few into Poholke in 2018. Milera should get another extended run if Pyke has his way IMO.
You defeat your own argument. What's the difference between 2017 and 2018 to 'blood ' them

And if you want to ask the question then quote me. No the Milera comment was on the supporters who bagged Mileras run.

Doedee was one.
In place of who? ......maybe when Lever had the hamstring, but Otten had the runs on the board .....that was IMO the only 50/50 call that could have been the opportunity to blood Doedee

Obviously selectors didn't think Doedee was ready (fit?) ......it's a fine balance of having / maintaining a players confidence

In place of who? ......maybe when Lever had the hamstring, but Otten had the runs on the board .....that was IMO the only 50/50 call that could have been the opportunity to blood Doedee

Obviously selectors didn't think Doedee was ready (fit?) ......it's a fine balance of having / maintaining a players confidence

Like Gooch he should have been blooded for at least one game. Brown or Laird missed a game or so I think. Doesn't matter you simply find a spot and play them. Hell I would drop Knight for a week, some of you rave about him, to me he is average at best. The worst thing they did was to bring back DMac and drop Gooch. That was stupid IMO.

lousy smarsh weather [e].jpg

You defeat your own argument. What's the difference between 2017 and 2018 to 'blood ' them

And if you want to ask the question then quote me. No the Milera comment was on the supporters who bagged Mileras run.
A massive difference. They've been in the system twice as long, a spot has opened up for Gooch + Doedee with Cameron + Lever leaving, and they may actually be able to impact the games they play in 2018.

IMO, Gooch was ready from round 17 onward for meaningful AFL game time. He had transitioned into playing against men, and had the runs on the board in the SANFL. Early in the season, AFL would have completely overawed him. He was completely out of his element in the SANFl let alone the AFL. Poholke also needed the entire year to develop. He still needs to develop a tank, and he should only get games if his development in the SANFL can't be taken all that much further (e.g. when Greenwood came in, he had done about all he could in the SANFL).

There is a massive difference development wise between first, second, third and sometimes even fourth year players, particularly with players picked in need of development (Doedee as an example, was raw).

As for quoting you, I can't effectively multi-qoute on my phone, so I paraphrased.

Poholke is Italian?

The name doesn't sound Italian, to me at least.
Mother? Ethnicity doesn't count (except at Carlton ;-), and my memory must be failing me here, but I thought I recalled reading some where that the three (Gooch, Myles and Siggy) share a common bond due to being of Italian descent.

With Gibson in to take over Knights role as a defensive midfielder, do we used Knight to replace Cameron up forward?

Could Knight be taught to run Mackay's patterns? He has everything that Mackay has and more. I'd like to see both him and Hampton geared for that type of role. If we're struggling in the engine room, then either of these guys can be sent in there and provide a bit of grunt and cover.

I reckon anyone who reckons the opposition gets geed up by, "and they're playing Gallucci, who hasn't earned his spot, this is a development game for him, so these guys are laughing at us" is a simpleton. It's just rubbish.

Otten played forward, why would Doedee have been an option there?

Edit - just realised you weren't talking about the GF in isolation. Skimmed the first part.

Last edited:
Back