Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been hearing whispers that Johncock will be playing in the midfield this year.
Davis could move into the midfield too. Along with Smith, Brown and Fogarty.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes this is clearly the way the game is heading. Coaches keep emphasising "two-way running", so basically it forces everyone to be fit, and to be a fill-in midfielder. I tried to make a point before that inside midfielder and outside midfielder, it's also really all becoming a bit of a blur. Pretty much nowadays, everyone is a midfielder, a defender, and a forward, just in varying proportions.
It's just as much as being able to apply pressure as much as play in the midfield

With scores launched from D50 by turnovers being the biggest improvement in the game , you need forward half pressure to prevent it

weneverland

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
When McGovern puts the jets on in a game it’s crazy. He’s seriously quick.. lightning quick, maybe deceitful because of his height I feel. Remember watching him in his debut year chasing someone at Etihad and wondering who exactly he was, because his speed shocked me, he has that burst power that not many players possess.

Stringer when fit is the same, similar type of speed.
Talking about putting the jets on I remember watching Modra and being amazed that on his long leads and with his opponent right with him he always ended up with enough space to take a relatively easy mark. I noticed that although he and his opponent seemed evenly matched for pace Modra would accelerate over the last 10 metres and get that mini break he needed.

weneverland

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or Richmond brought the game style that has routinely exposed us for the past two seasons.

This isn't the first time that our gameplan has fallen apart when the heat is well and truly on (and really it doesn't have much chance to stand up).
I used to think that but now I'm not so sure it is the game plan. I remember the last game against Sydney which was a cracker and although we lost, we and our game plan stood up to the pressure. That game, for the first time gave me some belief. I think, if we have to point the finger, it should be at selection.

I used to think that but now I'm not so sure it is the game plan. I remember the last game against Sydney which was a cracker and although we lost, we and our game plan stood up to the pressure. That game, for the first time gave me some belief. I think, if we have to point the finger, it should be at selection.

We didn't even then, Sydney brought the pressure in the first 40 minutes and we folded. From the moment they dropped their intensity (as it is unsustainable) was when got back into the game.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
We didn't even then, Sydney brought the pressure in the first 40 minutes and we folded. From the moment they dropped their intensity (as it is unsustainable) was when got back into the game.
From memory, we didn't put our best midfield in around the contest to begin with. I recall at one point we had our inside midfield as Knight, Atkins and Mackay. I reckon that was a big game where Pyke experimented early to see what they could do.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Same as Richmond in round 6. They were all over us for a quarter and a bit and then just stopped working to contests.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
:praying:

Sorry Wayne's-World - I have your high 5 here.
giphy.gif

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Plenty of depth

Wasn't so much injury but form that accounted for their poor start

Their list is as good as any
Their young players were some of their best early .....some key players were injured, or coming off impacted pre-seasons .....but their young players couldn't sustain & IMO that affects list depth

On The Crouch

Of the Matt variety only
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some positive words about our draftees.....

Every club: Draftee and rookie watch
Staff writers
Jan 20, 2018 9:01 AM

563050-tlslargelandscape.jpg

After his move to Fremantle, Andrew Brayshaw has been shadowing Nat Fyfe
ADEL-2.jpg

A versatile and big-bodied youngster, Darcy Fogarty has trained with the Crows forwards this pre-season and completed a large block of training so far. The club's coaches and senior players have been thrilled with his skill level and the way he has used his size to advantage in training, with the No.12 draft pick bringing a strong presence to the track. Andrew McPherson had a quad injury in 2017, but he has overcome that since arriving at West Lakes and has trained more minutes than any first-year player. Training as a half-back, he has picked up the Crows' gameplan well. Rookie Patrick Wilson started his AFL career in rehab last year with a toe injury, but he has completed every session post-Christmas, training with the midfielders and focusing on building his engine after a late start. Fellow rookie Lachlan Murphyhas been identified as a player who could replace Charlie Cameron in attack and is training as a half-forward with a lot of intensity. Father-son rookie Jackson Edwards has done the majority of the pre-season with the midfield, working on his endurance and speed away from contests.

The standout: While Fogarty is an eye-catcher, Andrew McPherson has backed up most training sessions and has quickly become conditioned to train at AFL level. His game knowledge has impressed his coaches. - Nathan Schmook

Back