Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampton who played the role for GWS too.
Except Pyke firmly believes that Hampton’s best position is elsewhere

And rightly so. He's pretty average off half back. Doesnt have the desperation and work rate and thus is pretty poor at playing lock down. Also isnt anything special in terms of reading the play and taking intercept marks, plus doesn't excel in the air either. Hampton needs to be playing up on a half forward flank where he has the freedom to do what he wants and use his creativity, because he absolutely sucks at following someone else around all day and is most certainly not someone you'd back to win their contests vs a forward, like you would a Laird/Brown or a Kelly etc.

I dont really know why most here overlook a fit Seedsman. Arguably has everything that Smith has, minus a bit of pace but is probably better in the air and takes some really strong grabs. Has somewhat proven himself in a HB position before with the Pies, but I think he can go one step further playing as that 7th defender this time, rather than worrying about a direct match-up.

Wondering if Gooch can play the HBF role for Smithers this year. He has great agility, strength and pace so should be able to play on some small fwds and has attacking flair.

If Doedee plays Lever's role too are we too inexperienced in defence?

Then Hampton to play the 'small forward' role with defensive pressure and speed to kick a few goals. His best footy at GWS was as a fwd. It would also give our forward line another look.

Thoughts?

Why is everyone hypothesising who will play off half back when Milera is training there?

It’s obvious they rate Milera and want him in the side, 3rd year in and it’s time for him to cement his position in the team.

Atkins, Seedsman, Mackay and Gibson rotating wings.

Hampton if he gets a game will be as a mid if we have injuries or possibly on a forward flank, again if we have injuries.

Hampton would want to play where ever he can get a gig

He’s on his last chance, beggars can’t be choosers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why do you think that ? .....he was travelling well b4 the injury ?

Still young, with a mountain of talent & "X" factor

Wondering if Gooch can play the HBF role for Smithers this year. He has great agility, strength and pace so should be able to play on some small fwds and has attacking flair.

If Doedee plays Lever's role too are we too inexperienced in defence?

Then Hampton to play the 'small forward' role with defensive pressure and speed to kick a few goals. His best footy at GWS was as a fwd. It would also give our forward line another look.

Thoughts?
IIRC Gullucci is training with the forwards ......so the club obviously have other players in mind for HB .....that's not to say he couldn't

My guess is he'll have some minutes thru the midfield as well .....albeit limited

Because he's an actually quite an average footballer on the whole?

Is turning 25 this year and still hasn't put together more than 3 good games in a row. For someone of his talent, he constantly burns the ball and makes poor decisions.

I understand he's been injured non-stop, but what I saw from him at SANFL level against that quality of opposition wasn't all that encouraging. I'm happy for him to be given another shot and a run of games this year again, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Dont think he should be in our starting 22 for 2018 and should be proving himself in the SANFL before he gets that chance.

Because he's an actually quite an average footballer on the whole?

Is turning 25 this year and still hasn't put together more than 3 good games in a row. For someone of his talent, he constantly burns the ball and makes poor decisions.

I understand he's been injured non-stop, but what I saw from him at SANFL level against that quality of opposition wasn't all that encouraging. I'm happy for him to be given another shot and a run of games this year again, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Dont think he should be in our starting 22 for 2018 and should be proving himself in the SANFL before he gets that chance.
We'll agree to diasgree .......9 games at a new club in a new role is bit of an unfair assessment .....it took Tom Lynch almost two years to settle into our club & gamestyle .....be patient with Hampton

Is JJ employed in the racing industry? .....all his twitter has been Trots & Racehorses in recent months? .....hope his head is in the right place, and not focusing too much on his life after footy career ??

Whilst I'm not into horse racing, it's healthy to have other interests...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS weren’t overly aggressive in retaining him he’s 25 this year and was lucky not to be dropped last year prior to getting injured

If he can put his game together he could contribute can’t see him being good enough for the mid with Crouch Crouch Sloane Gibbs Douglas even Greenwood well and truly infront of him

HB is his position but he will be keeping the spot warm or Milera might be seen as a better option but when smith returns they will want to have put some runs on the board

This pre season will be very interesting for us supporters to see Hampton Seedsman Mackay Atkins Milera Gibson Galluci Doedee knight Keath all fighting it out for a spot in the 22 in round 1

GWS weren’t overly aggressive in retaining him he’s 25 this year and was lucky not to be dropped last year prior to getting injured

If he can put his game together he could contribute can’t see him being good enough for the mid with Crouch Crouch Sloane Gibbs Douglas even Greenwood well and truly infront of him

HB is his position but he will be keeping the spot warm or Milera might be seen as a better option but when smith returns they will want to have put some runs on the board

This pre season will be very interesting for us supporters to see Hampton Seedsman Mackay Atkins Milera Gibson Galluci Doedee knight Keath all fighting it out for a spot in the 22 in round 1

Problem was GWS had riches galore in the midfield, hence in downsizing their list numbers, its been primarily Mids that have been traded ......they tried to play Hampton out of position to fit him in, which didn't work out ........his trading does not say GWS were reluctant to retain him .....Treloar, Kennedy, Adams, you could say the same about them

There is absolutely no evidence that Hampton was about to be dropped, pre injury ...none

Those perceptions only exist on BF

Problem was GWS had riches galore in the midfield, hence in downsizing their list numbers, its been primarily Mids that have been traded ......they tried to play Hampton out of position to fit him in, which didn't work out ........his trading does not say GWS were reluctant to retain him .....Treloar, Kennedy, Adams, you could say the same about them

There is absolutely no evidence that Hampton was about to be dropped, pre injury ...none

He got 0 B+F votes in each of his last 3 games (R7-R9)

That’s a fallacy about GWS

They haven’t played off in a GF

They gave up Hampton for a 2nd for a 22 year old who played 50 games I think they had him worked out

Also didn’t say he would be dropped I said he should have been and for good reason his output was pathetic he started well but fell out of it

That’s a fallacy about GWS

They haven’t played off in a GF

They gave up Hampton for a 2nd for a 22 year old who played 50 games I think they had him worked out

Not a fallacy Marty ......what we gave up for Hampton is irrelevant, have you seen some of the dirt cheap trades Carlton did for GWS players ?

Kennedy, that a lot on this board were keen on, was given away for #28 to Carlton, as a 20yo ? .....just one example

Back