MFC Fans Only 2017/2018 Summer sports talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not even going to reply with why he deserves his chance.

Because he doesn't deserve a chance? If there's a slam dunk case as to why we should be picking Maxwell, I'd love to hear it.

It's not so much Maxwell deserving a chance in his individual right, but relative to Shaun Marsh, yeh Maxwell definitely deserves a chance on Aussie soil.

I like Renshaw, I'm sure he will come back into the side in the future once he develops more

Can only laugh at the Marsh selection, but I'll back Marsh in to score more runs than Maxwell.

Late to the party but Paine is indicative of the mindset problem selectors have had since Gilly retired.

They all want a keeper that can bat a la Gilly.

But right now none exists. Paine is the best gloveman, Wade the best batsman, Nevill the best of both but inferior to either in each.

What do you do?

Liverpool starting to hit their straps.

Mo Salah is a star. With him and Mane blazing down the wings the team looks well placed for a top 4 finish.

On another note. My other team the 49ers finally won a game last week. God the Giants suck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Liverpool starting to hit their straps.

Mo Salah is a star. With him and Mane blazing down the wings the team looks well placed for a top 4 finish.

On another note. My other team the 49ers finally won a game last week. God the Giants suck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I really hope they convince Giroud to stay.

Late to the party but Paine is indicative of the mindset problem selectors have had since Gilly retired.

They all want a keeper that can bat a la Gilly.

But right now none exists. Paine is the best gloveman, Wade the best batsman, Nevill the best of both but inferior to either in each.

What do you do?

Haddin was quality, just got to keep working through until they find another good one I guess

What stinks is that Bancroft has seemingly been rewarded for good form where Paine wasn't even selected for the first 2 Shield games.
I think if there were clear reasons then the public would be able to cop certain selections better but it seems they just make it up as they go along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, Shaun Marsh in the side????????? Look, pick ******* maxwell, ferguson or Bailey FFS. Who cares!!!! Not Marsh at 6 who isn't a 6!!!

Pick Ferguson or Bailey instead, fine (although Ferguson isn't a #6 either). Why would Maxwell be anywhere near the side? You still haven't answered the bit about him "deserving his chance".

What stinks is that Bancroft has seemingly been rewarded for good form where Paine wasn't even selected for the first 2 Shield games.
I think if there were clear reasons then the public would be able to cop certain selections better but it seems they just make it up as they go along.

My money is on them having an "out of the box" quota to generate discussion and interest leading into the tests. Selectors in the last few years seem to think that part of their job is pulling a few rabbits out of the hat instead of picking the best side and sticking by them.

Pick Ferguson or Bailey instead, fine (although Ferguson isn't a #6 either). Why would Maxwell be anywhere near the side? You still haven't answered the bit about him "deserving his chance".
Hasn't he come about some runs in the last overseas tour and he has made some Sheffield shield runs recently.

Point is - Marsh can go to Port Adelaide with Jack Watts.

Hasn't he come about some runs in the last overseas tour and he has made some Sheffield shield runs recently.

Point is - Marsh can go to Port Adelaide with Jack Watts.

He's made a couple of fifties in three games in the Sheffield Shield, which would put him behind about 10 or 12 other batsmen around the competition, including Shaun Marsh. Otherwise, he toured India most recently and did very little, and it was Bangladesh before that where he might have done something, although I don't recall and who cares because it's Bangladesh.

I'm not a fan of Shaun Marsh getting picked, but he's a better batsman than Maxwell wherever you put him in the lineup. The only reason Maxwell should be getting mentioned in the same breath as the other Test aspirants is if he starts peeling bulk runs off consistently. Otherwise, would much rather see the likes of Bancroft, Weatherald, etc get given a chance or throw another bone to Khawaja, Bailey or Ferguson.

Maxwell doesnt have a test match brain.

He puts on the cream when everyone fires. But when cheap wickets fall he doesnt know how to grind out an innings to steady the ship.

My money is on them having an "out of the box" quota to generate discussion and interest leading into the tests. Selectors in the last few years seem to think that part of their job is pulling a few rabbits out of the hat instead of picking the best side and sticking by them.
100% mate.
If Paine isn't just a 'gut feel' selection then I'll go IT for tiggy.
People suggesting he was only out of the Tassie side due to Wade being the incumbent test keeper are also off the mark.
Prior to Wade coming across, the kid Doran took the gloves for Tassie with Ben Dunk occasionally too!!

A lot of what is being said about Maxwell would have applied to Warner when he started in test cricket too.

Warner was a filthy, filthy hack when he started playing first class and test cricket... but he scored a lot of runs. Key difference.

Posted this in another thread in regards to picking handscombe or bancroft as keeper

It's got nothing to do with the turn. It's being able to react to edges off the bat. It's being able to read which is the offie and which is the over spinner. It's being able to move your feet so you can take anything down the leg side. It's being able to have soft hands so you can get a stumping opportunity if it arises.
Brad Haddin was always compared to Gilly for his batting but he was also the best keeper in the country.

An extra 30 runs from your keeper won't win you many matches. But dropping someone on 5 who makes a century can lose you one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back