astrodee

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Aston Villa. Melbourne renegades
With each passing year i find the cricket less and less watchable, let alone enjoyable. Even allowing for old man grouchiness (players and all things cricket were far superior when i was a lad - and the mfc won premierships and thus life was immeasurably better) the game has gone to the dogs.
Watching the execrable performance of steve and his mates (being a mate is seemingly a selection criterion) is a torture i have replaced with self flagellation.
Oh well, back to the lash

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Shane Watson was one of our better bats for a while. I would have him back but only for the sheer unadulterated joy all his LBW reviews gave me.

"Yah, Watto reviews... and confirmed, crashing into middle halfway up!"

7003b6fbc1ae2abe0977cad850b95b66

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Shane Watson was one of our better bats for a while. I would have him back but only for the sheer unadulterated joy all his LBW reviews gave me.

"Yah, Watto reviews... and confirmed, crashing into middle halfway up!"

7003b6fbc1ae2abe0977cad850b95b66

Hr would have averaged 50 comfortably if he could have kept that leg closer to leg stump like Matty Hayden when he was being aggressive

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
With each passing year i find the cricket less and less watchable, let alone enjoyable. Even allowing for old man grouchiness (players and all things cricket were far superior when i was a lad - and the mfc won premierships and thus life was immeasurably better) the game has gone to the dogs.
Watching the execrable performance of steve and his mates (being a mate is seemingly a selection criterion) is a torture i have replaced with self flagellation.
Oh well, back to the lash

I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the wickets combined all the padding. Watching Johnson scare batsmen was awesome last home ashes but it was also extremely rare. They need to spice up the wickets so that batsmen look uncomfortable. That's cricket

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hr would have averaged 50 comfortably if he could have kept that leg closer to leg stump like Matty Hayden when he was being aggressive

Eh, had concentration issues as well as technical problems. Was good at getting out when set and at ease, and to average over 50 you need to make big hundreds. He rarely did that. Lots of 80s and 90s though. Used to be the standard joke with mates when he passed 50 that hopefully "he would go on with it and make a big 80".

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the wickets combined all the padding. Watching Johnson scare batsmen was awesome last home ashes but it was also extremely rare. They need to spice up the wickets so that batsmen look uncomfortable. That's cricket

What, and risk having a few more 2 and a bit day tests?? Madness. Won't see it; they need the matches to go the distance or close to given the massive loss of revenue that occurs when they don't.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just switched on to see Shaun Marsh dolly one up to mid off. One of the endearing things about cricket is that whether you're a test batsmen or a park slogger, you can play an ordinary shot and then stare at the pitch in consternation for 10 seconds before trundling off as if you've just been done in by one that jumped, spat, cut and swung in every direction.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Michael Clarke is a terrible and annoying commentator.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eh, had concentration issues as well as technical problems. Was good at getting out when set and at ease, and to average over 50 you need to make big hundreds. He rarely did that. Lots of 80s and 90s though. Used to be the standard joke with mates when he passed 50 that hopefully "he would go on with it and make a big 80".

True but at least he was quite consistent, he had an average of 35 with just 4 hundreds in 59 tests. Not bad a average for an all rounder really.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
True but at least he was quite consistent, he had an average of 35 with just 4 hundreds in 59 tests. Not bad a average for an all rounder really.

Wasn't really an all-rounder, by the time he was in his late 20s he would bowl a handful of overs and break down. He was a reliable top order bat for a while, though. We've certainly had worse.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wasn't really an all-rounder, by the time he was in his late 20s he would bowl a handful of overs and break down. He was a reliable top order bat for a while, though. We've certainly had worse.

Yeh his injuries were shocking, really didn't get to see him at his best at test level

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
No one can collapse as well as we do. Just mind boggling #sacktheselectors
should be top order collapse our tail always seems to wag would love to see when 6 down what % of total score our tail scores compared to other teams

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
should be top order collapse our tail always seems to wag would love to see when 6 down what % of total score our tail scores compared to other teams
Our lower order must get sick of having to bail out the top 6 what seems too often I would guess.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our lower order must get sick of having to bail out the top 6 what seems too often I would guess.
could you imagine if we had a normal tail instead of going we'll get close to their total. we'd already be 150 down watching england chop us up again. find it crazy we dont have a 5th option at all. we rely on our bowlers to get runs but then want them to bust a gut to get the wickets. yeah id have a gut full

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've got a decent tail but we're not talking South Africa's lineup in the 90s. If Smith gets out, we might swing or grind out another 30 or 40 but I'd be surprised if it was more.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've got a decent tail but we're not talking South Africa's lineup in the 90s. If Smith gets out, we might swing or grind out another 30 or 40 but I'd be surprised if it was more.
still got us 1/3 of our score if they get another 40. which shouldnt be relied apon but always seems to be the case

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
still got us 1/3 of our score if they get another 40. which shouldnt be relied apon but always seems to be the case

There is four of them in the tail so you'd hope they contribute a bit. What irks me is that in recent years, although they haven't scored that heavily, the guys batting in the tail for the most part have better techniques than the guys in the top six.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is four of them in the tail so you'd hope they contribute a bit. What irks me is that in recent years, although they haven't scored that heavily, the guys batting in the tail for the most part have better techniques than the guys in the top six.
yeah i get there are 4 of them but they arent there to make a 1/3 of the runs Cummins only has Marsh to pass and he is 2nd highest scorer for us coming in at 9. its a joke how easy he's making it look compared to anyone else yeah he hasnt got the pressure top order has but surely you go out playing your nature game in first innings

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
yeah i get there are 4 of them but they arent there to make a 1/3 of the runs Cummins only has Marsh to pass and he is 2nd highest scorer for us coming in at 9. its a joke how easy he's making it look compared to anyone else yeah he hasnt got the pressure top order has but surely you go out playing your nature game in first innings

I'd kind of hope you would get around 30% of the runs out of the tail, actually. If guys in the top 6 don't make huge runs (ie a couple of centuries), you'd still expect guys who can hold a stick coming in at the 50 or 60 over mark with the bowlers having done a reasonable amount of work to be able to make a few.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fair ton from the skipper. Still amazes me how he scores as many runs as he does with that miserable technique.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back