2017 22Under22

Remove this Banner Ad

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Coming to the stage of the season where we start to think about the awards. This best 22 under 22 has been around for 3-4 years, starting to get pushed more widely in the media.
For this award my understanding is that players have to be 22 or under for the AFL season, even if they turn 23 in October/November/December. So Wines is eligible, as he turns 23 after the season ends.

Squad of 40 nominated by AFLPA and then 22 picked by fans.

My squad of 40:
Jake Lever, Matt Crouch, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Lewis Taylor, Patrick Cripps, Caleb Marchbank, Charlie Curnow, Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard, Andrew McGrath, Zac Merrett, Orazio Fantasia, Sean Darcy, Lachie Weller, Connor Blakely, Jack Martin, Peter Wright, Josh Kelly, Ryan Burton, Blake Hardwick, Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Jayden Hunt, Luke McDonald, Sam Powell-Pepper, Ollie Wines, Dan Butler, Jack Billings, Jade Gresham, Isaac Heeney, Zac Jones, Tom Papley, Liam Duggan, Tom Barrass, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter, Toby McLean, Bailey Dale

B: Ryan Burton, Harris Andrews, Blake Hardwick
HB: Andrew McGrath, Jake Lever, Connor Blakely
C: Zac Merrett, Matt Crouch, Josh Kelly (VC)
HF: Isaac Heeney, Charlie Curnow, Jack Billings
F: Orazio Fantasia, Peter Wright, Jack Martin
Foll: Sean Darcy, Clayton Oliver, Marcus Bontempelli (C)
Bench: Ollie Wines, Patrick Cripps, Lewis Taylor, Zac Jones

Raffle Curnow/Moore/Wright right now. Can't think of any other KF's who are around who could push for the spot - Hogan the obvious one but with only 7 games for the season, Hipwood enough to make the squad of 40 and the most talented of the 5 here I reckon but just doesn't have enough actual output at this stage of his career.
edit: Seems reasonable to raffle all 4 of Curnow, Moore, Wright and Hipwood, Hipwood isn't behind as I first though

Last edited:
Coming to the stage of the season where we start to think about the awards. This best 22 under 22 has been around for 3-4 years, starting to get pushed more widely in the media.
For this award my understanding is that players have to be 22 or under for the AFL season, even if they turn 23 in October/November/December. So Wines is eligible, as he turns 23 after the season ends.

Squad of 40 nominated by AFLPA and then 22 picked by fans.

My squad of 40:
Jake Lever, Matt Crouch, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Lewis Taylor, Patrick Cripps, Caleb Marchbank, Charlie Curnow, Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard, Andrew McGrath, Zac Merrett, Orazio Fantasia, Sean Darcy, Lachie Weller, Connor Blakely, Jack Martin, Peter Wright, Josh Kelly, Ryan Burton, Blake Hardwick, Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Jayden Hunt, Luke McDonald, Sam Powell-Pepper, Ollie Wines, Dan Butler, Jack Billings, Jade Gresham, Isaac Heeney, Zac Jones, Tom Papley, Liam Duggan, Tom Barrass, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter, Toby McLean, Bailey Dale

Raffle Curnow/Moore/Wright right now. Can't think of any other KF's who are around who could push for the spot - Hogan the obvious one but with only 7 games for the season, Hipwood enough to make the squad of 40 and the most talented of the 5 here I reckon but just doesn't have enough actual output at this stage of his career.
Hipwood bit stiff to be beaten by 2 metre peter.

Callum Mills missing the team seems a bit wrong.

Possibly, but it's pretty close, and this team isn't picked on potential (is my understanding), just performance. I gave the spot to Wright because I feel he does more around the ground, and doesn't go missing for as long periods. Moore and Hipwood could both easily claim the CHF and FF spots though, I don't claim that it's clear cut at all.

You have blakely ahead of mills? Other then that, great effort

Blakely is a lock in this side. Gun year. Mills not as good as Blakely this year.

Mills missed out because I felt Hardwick is an extremely good small lockdown defender for the likes of Betts, Garlett, Fantasia types, but yeah probably unlucky.

lol. There is no chance Bonts misses out on the team. If anything take out Hardwick for Mills or more likely Cripps (who will only play 15 games this season).

Good point on Cripps, didn't take that into account by the end of the season. Will likely miss out.

Darcy lucky there isn't many other options!

lol. There is no chance Bonts misses out on the team. If anything take out Hardwick for Mills or more likely Cripps (who will only play 15 games this season).
Of course bonts makes it, no question. I would rather mills as captain or a heeney type tbh. Bonts VC.

Of course bonts makes it, no question. I would rather mills as captain or a heeney type tbh. Bonts VC.

Looking further into this only Merrett and Wines are VC of their respective sides, with Bont, Kelly and Andrews in the leadership groups. Seems fair that if Bont isn't captain, it should be one of Merrett or Wines based on being VC of their sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking further into this only Merrett and Wines are VC of their respective sides, with Bont, Kelly and Andrews in the leadership groups. Seems fair that if Bont isn't captain, it should be one of Merrett or Wines based on being VC of their sides.
The media's obsession with Bontempelli will give him the nod.

Not really.

Outside of 1-2 goals and the occasional highlight, Hipwood is virtually invisible on the field at this stage. Averages 8.06 disposals, 2.75 marks and 1.63 goals per game.

Fair team. I'd have Witherden in the squad of 40 as a minimum (though mids/HB looks to be a stacked position), kid's a legit gem.
He's had a great 4 games, deserving of his rising star but not enough to make the squad yet.

Edit: for the same reason Nank should get the ruck possie over Darcy atm

Last edited:
If it's under 22 why do you have players like Wines, who has played all year as a 22 year old ?

Surely you mean under 23, or if you mean under 22 you'd use a date such as April 1 ?

Raffle Curnow/Moore/Wright right now. Can't think of any other KF's who are around who could push for the spot - Hogan the obvious one but with only 7 games for the season
Petracca has been playing forward for a lot of the season and has kicked twice the amount of goals as Curnow. He can play key position and is ahead of Curnow if deciding between the two.

Merrett and Bontempelli are the only two who have actually captained their respective teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back