2017 AFC Champions League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time we finished bottom of the league we made the final of this competition.

Can't see history repeating.

It's a shame we don't do a better job of promoting and marketing the ACL. It's a shame that we don't really take it seriously.

That Adelaide made a final and WSW won the thing without making a dent in the level of interest probably suggests 2 things - the first is that club allegiances are so strong that we don't care about Australian teams doing well (which I guess is good in an A-League context), the second is that we're such an inward looking culture in Australia that what happens across Asia is irrelevant. I find this 2nd point an especially strange one though, cos when it comes to football we are, by virtue of the sport we follow, compelled to have interest in what happens beyond our own borders.

Communications and public relations is what I'm an expert in... but given these points, I still can't begin to imagine how we could/should make people care about the ACL. Even last season when Victory fans were quite bullish about progressing beyond the first round, we only cared enough to attend when it was Archie Thompson's last game.

Isaias out for Wednesdays game. Huge loss for us and a great deal now rests on the 18yo shoulders of Riley McGree and the newbie Kim Jae Sung.

It's a shame we don't do a better job of promoting and marketing the ACL. It's a shame that we don't really take it seriously.

That Adelaide made a final and WSW won the thing without making a dent in the level of interest probably suggests 2 things - the first is that club allegiances are so strong that we don't care about Australian teams doing well (which I guess is good in an A-League context), the second is that we're such an inward looking culture in Australia that what happens across Asia is irrelevant. I find this 2nd point an especially strange one though, cos when it comes to football we are, by virtue of the sport we follow, compelled to have interest in what happens beyond our own borders.

Communications and public relations is what I'm an expert in... but given these points, I still can't begin to imagine how we could/should make people care about the ACL. Even last season when Victory fans were quite bullish about progressing beyond the first round, we only cared enough to attend when it was Archie Thompson's last game.
Agree with this. The year Adelaide made the final was a great ride going to home games and following the away games. Some of my best memories as a United supporter. Your point about being inward looking is spot on....unless it involves US football or basketball then it's more like indoctrination.

Foxtel don't show anything close to most of the games. When something is presented as 'only important when Australian teams are in it', you can't be surprised when most people take that attitude.

Good post.

I think the other major factor is that, for whatever reason, Australians in general just don't seem all that interested in midweek sport (with the exception of major one off-type events). The prevailing attitude in this country seems to be that sport should be played from Friday to Sunday, not on Tuesday/Wednesday nights when there is work the next day, the kids have to be in bed early etc.

It is for this reason and those you suggested that it's hard to see the ACL ever taking off in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't start Mells at any cost btw. Kim, McGree and Cirio as the midfield three if it has to be. Just no Mells please. Could play Baba, Milu and O'Doherty up front - as crap as that is.
Depends how we intend to play I reckon. If we want to play on the break then we will need speed on the wings so O'Doherty would be in.

I'd still MUCH rather Mells than Makarounas.

Good post.

I think the other major factor is that, for whatever reason, Australians in general just don't seem all that interested in midweek sport (with the exception of major one off-type events). The prevailing attitude in this country seems to be that sport should be played from Friday to Sunday, not on Tuesday/Wednesday nights when there is work the next day, the kids have to be in bed early etc.

It is for this reason and those you suggested that it's hard to see the ACL ever taking off in this country.

Maybe we are to soft :p

Don't Foxtel show all the ACL games?

They show all the Australian club games and I think all the other games in those 3 groups (there are 8 groups) but it's a smattering of coverage otherwise.

Similar story for the knockout stage, especially once the Australian clubs have been eliminated.

There's 126 games in this competition. Let's count how many EXCLUSIVE HOME™ Foxtel show.

Last edited:
After a really, really dull first half, this game against Urawa turned ugly ******* quickly for the Wanderers!

Is Nichols injured? I don't understand why he wouldn't be at least on the bench if he was fit. Not bringing Santalab on is also another mistake. Really mind-boggling why Popa didn't bring him on after the first goal.

Guangzhou Evergrande is currently playing a lowly side called Eastern Club.
They are already 3-0 up in the first half and Eastern Club has had two red cards.
Shits gonna get very ugly lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back