2017 AFC Champions League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this could well be an ugly week for all the Australian teams. The timing of this tournament in reference to the A-League is going to frustrate us forever, especially when we have years like this year when Adelaide and WSW are 2 of the A-League representatives.

Brisbane are probably the best chance to get a result, but I still wouldn't even put stolen money on them.

I think this could well be an ugly week for all the Australian teams. The timing of this tournament in reference to the A-League is going to frustrate us forever, especially when we have years like this year when Adelaide and WSW are 2 of the A-League representatives.

Brisbane are probably the best chance to get a result, but I still wouldn't even put stolen money on them.
Out of interest, if Victory and Sydney were in this competition, how do you think they would fare?

Well damn. I think I'm one of few people in Australia that enjoys midweek football and having something to watch during the week.

But 15 minutes in and I've already gone back to todays episode of WWE Raw...

Out of interest, if Victory and Sydney were in this competition, how do you think they would fare?

I think of all years that's a really interesting hypothetical this season. Given how the league has played out, I think if Victory & the Smurfs were in the ACL they're in a position where they could prioritise it.

I don't think either of those teams have great depth - at best, they have maybe 4 guys that could play in their first team without them losing too much - but I think that, up until the A-League finals, they'd both be able to play their best teams on Tuesday/Wednesday and play their depth players on the weekend, cos the current top 2 isn't changing.

I think Sydney would be particularly interesting, cos I don't think people should underrate Graham Arnold's ego and the unfinished business I reckon he feels he has after his Japanese sojourn. They'll be an interesting watch next season.

And I think Victory performed reasonably well last season to get beyond the group stages - after which it becomes particularly hard for A-League teams because your only other matches are FFA Cup matches, and because you have to bust your arse to get your new signings in as quickly as possible (which, recently, hasn't been a strong suit of the Victory.)

It's obviously impossible to know - would they get the same draws this season as the actual entrants got? - but I would think they'd both be a really good chance to get through the group, particularly with guys like Ninkovic, Troisi & Rojas in outrageously good form over the last couple of months.

I think the best we can do is let the FFA Cup winner through as the team that goes into qualifying. At least then we'd have a team that had some recent success. But even in the context of this season, City would be replacing the Roar - who are the best of the Australian teams in this years ACL (not withstanding the first 15 minutes of this match that I watched before switching channel.)

3-0 before HT for the Roar, they're getting hammered.

Not sure how we'll go this week, cynic says we'll get belted but I feel like if we switch on defensively we might limit the damage. Jiangsu didn't look great last week and were lucky to win. They've obviously got a couple of superstars and we're missing our best player

Jesus H Christ. The Wanderers didn't even last 3 minutes!

3-0 before HT for the Roar, they're getting hammered.

Not sure how we'll go this week, cynic says we'll get belted but I feel like if we switch on defensively we might limit the damage. Jiangsu didn't look great last week and were lucky to win. They've obviously got a couple of superstars and we're missing our best player
You sure are optimistic about us in the ACL this year lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably for the best just to have the 3 Aussie teams to forfeit their places in the competition this year.
Not really our fault though - 9 of our GF players didn't play in the 1st game against Urawa. Hard to compete when the squad that got you there doesn't exist and the attack of the team was comprised of three very young, inexperienced players (two of which are crap) and a couple of importa who had played one game between them for the club. Have no doubt last years team could give most of these teams a run.

Not really our fault though - 9 of our GF players didn't play in the 1st game against Urawa. Hard to compete when the squad that got you there doesn't exist and the attack of the team was comprised of three very young, inexperienced players (two of which are crap) and a couple of importa who had played one game between them for the club. Have no doubt last years team could give most of these teams a run.
100% correct.

With the Chinese sides going to dominate, it's impossible for the Aussie sides to get anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back