Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBL are starting to get some decent crowds and can only get better.
The match tonight in Launceston looked to be pretty well full and thats something Hawthorn hasnt had for a long time.
16,734 the official figure, only 2,225 more than Hawthorns last game against North. Considering they only play non-Victorian or low drawing Vic sides down there it to be expected that there Tassie crowds have dwindled, there success of recent years has meant clubs like Richmond, Essendon Collingwood, Geelong wont ever play there when they'll get 50-70,000 at the G instead.

16,734 the official figure, only 2,225 more than Hawthorns last game against North. Considering they only play non-Victorian or low drawing Vic sides down there it to be expected that there Tassie crowds have dwindled, there success of recent years has meant clubs like Richmond, Essendon Collingwood, Geelong wont ever play there when they'll get 50-70,000 at the G instead.
The BBL team only plays non vics so the point is mute there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But at the same time, it's the BBL's first ever game in Launceston, hardly comparable to those same people who went to this game who have had literally dozens of opportunities to go to an AFL game.

You would think with all of Hawthorns success over the past ten years that leading AFL club no matter who they are playing would fill York Park for every match. Whens the last time hawthorn had consistent sellouts and full houses?
You cant expect the AFL to send the top tier clubs to a ground that only holds 20,000 when they can get 80,000 at the G The AFL is a business and is there to make money for the clubs and the game overall not to lose money so a few thousand people in Tassie can see the top teams.

After all Tassie is also supposed to be a foundation heartland State mad about their footy.

Last edited:
You would think with all of Hawthorns success over the past ten years that leading AFL club no matter who they are playing would fill York Park for every match. Whens the last time hawthorn had consistent sellouts and full houses?
You cant expect the AFL to send the top tier clubs to a ground that only holds 20,000 when they can get 80,000 at the G The AFL is a business and is there to make money for the clubs and the game overall not to lose money so a few thousand people in Tassie can see the top teams.

After all Tassie is also supposed to be a foundation heartland State mad about their footy.

Given Launceston has less people than darwin, I would have thought an average above 13K is pretty solid given the "home team" had a big slump.

Given Launceston has less people than darwin, I would have thought an average above 13K is pretty solid given the "home team" had a big slump.

The ground is supposed to hold 21,000 so thats only 2/3 rds full.Starting to look more like soccer and NRL crowds.

The big difference to Darwin is Hobart with close to 200,000 is only 2/12 to 3 hours away and plenty of other decent sized towns are not that far from Launceston and you would expect at least couple of thousand would make the trip north to see their favourite footy code live unlike Darwin and Canberra that have split loyalties with NRL.

Would you want to watch a really good football team destroy a really bad football team for the umpteenth time? Cause that is what it is like watching Brisbane/GC v Hawks every single year. A lot of neutrals want a decent contest and there are still a lot more neutrals than Hawks fans in Launny. It is the biggest fallacy to say that just because a team is doing well, everyone would want to watch them. You cant just expect the Tassie population to turn up to games where, in Melbourne, only the diehards would go to? Insert Hawks v Carlton from a couple of years ago as an example.

The BBL had a decent attendance because it is a Tasmanian team, playing at a first-time venue at a good time slot in a comp/game which can be unpredictable and fun. I wouldn't be shocked to see that attendance happen year in year out for that one off game in Launny. It is perfect for those people in the NW to attend.

Looking at these ratings confirms that the AFL is now clearly the dominant sport on foxtel...

upload_2018-1-1_12-44-20.png

When you consider that the AFL goes for 50% as long (which I to my knowledge no adjustment is made for) and there are no prime time games that are not simulcast on FTA in at least one of the home team markets (occassional arvo games between Melbourne teams), this is pretty comprehensive

As far as I can tell, all but one of the NRL H&A games above 300K were stand alone foxtel exclusives. Imagine how many more the AFL would have it had a standalone game every Saturday night exclusively on foxtel?

Looking at these ratings confirms that the AFL is now clearly the dominant sport on foxtel...

View attachment 448352

When you consider that the AFL goes for 50% as long (which I to my knowledge no adjustment is made for) and there are no prime time games that are not simulcast on FTA in at least one of the home team markets (occassional arvo games between Melbourne teams), this is pretty comprehensive

As far as I can tell, all but one of the NRL H&A games above 300K were stand alone foxtel exclusives. Imagine how many more the AFL would have it had a standalone game every Saturday night exclusively on foxtel?

AFAIK all NRL games are standalone. I don't think they ever schedule more than 1 game on at a time. But I doubt FTA telecasts affect the Fox numbers too much, other than meaning less people subscribe to Fox in the first place.

But it would be interesting to see the top audience reach telecasts. I suspect the AFL would go from having about half the top 50 to having close to 2/3rds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's that and there is also "saturday twilight prelim produced the highest foxtel ratings 2 years in a row"
It's a great time slot, the ratings for that game were so well watch across the 5 metro cities. (Syd 64k, Mel 219k, Bri 57, Ade 48, Per 61, Reg 103).

AFAIK all NRL games are standalone. I don't think they ever schedule more than 1 game on at a time. But I doubt FTA telecasts affect the Fox numbers too much, other than meaning less people subscribe to Fox in the first place.

But it would be interesting to see the top audience reach telecasts. I suspect the AFL would go from having about half the top 50 to having close to 2/3rds.

I'd say they would at the margins as people are more likely to go to friend / relative x's house who has foxtel to watch a game that is not live on FTA, for instance. But it wouldn't be huge, I'm sure

I'm sure you are right on the reach numbers.....I think the "reach" is generally proportionally higher for the AFL due to its longer duration. The two worst finals ratings were the Swans Bombers and Giants Eagles games that were both over early in the 2nd quarter...there is still pretty much 2 hours of telecast to go at the point

Giants involved in the highest rating fox game 2 years in a row.
A prelim final will do that. Sydney having the highest pay TV penetration rate will also help that.

The_Wookie you have your finger on the 2017 stats but I was bit shocked by this graphic at Media Week (which you can expand and download) says that for 2017 the top 100 FTA TV shows for the week in the 5 metro capitals, that apart from the AFL GF and the presentation component finishing 1st and 2nd spot and other segments of the day long coverage 12th and 13th and 57th, the only other game making the top 100 and drawing an audience of 803,000 or more was the ANZAC day game at 91st with 839,000.

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/oztam-top-100-tv-events-2017/

Is this correct?? If so where has the audience gone?? Pay TV? Streaming on mobile devices and computers? The pub? All of the above? Elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure all of Port's finals games in 2014 cracked a million viewers in 5 capital cities and I know the PF cracked a million as it was 1.9mil combined and Pay TV was only about 450k and the top sports program in 2014 and I doubt regional total was more than Pay TV total. I could be wrong but I'm sure I have seen 900k and 1 million figure in 2015 and 2016 for finals for the 5 metro capitals totals. Am I wrong and out of date?

Last edited:
The_Wookie you have your finger on the 2017 stats but I was bit shocked by this graphic at Media Week (which you can expand and download) says that for 2017 the top 100 FTA TV shows for the week in the 5 metro capitals, that apart from the AFL GF and the presentation component finishing 1st and 2nd spot and other segments of the day long coverage 12th and 13th and 57th, the only other game making the top 100 and drawing an audience of 803,000 or more was the ANZAC day game at 9st with 839,000.

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/oztam-top-100-tv-events-2017/

Is this correct?? If so where has the audience gone?? Pay TV? Streaming on mobile devices and computers? The pub? All of the above? Elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure all of Port's finals games in 2014 cracked a million viewers in 5 capital cities and I know the PF cracked a million as it was 1.9mil combined and Pay TV was only about 450k and the top sports program in 2014 and I doubt regional total was more than Pay TV total. I could be wrong but I'm sure I have seen 900k and 1 million figure in 2015 and 2016 for finals for the 5 metro capitals totals. Am I wrong and out of date?
I think they've made errors, going by there data they tweeted 4 finals games rated over 1 million for the 5 metro capitals.

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG

I think they've made errors, going by there data they tweeted 4 finals games rated over 1 million for the 5 metro capitals.

View attachment 448631 View attachment 448632 View attachment 448633 View attachment 448634

Looking at those, I think the answer is that list doesn't include 7 mate.

I reckon there were a number of Friday night games this year that would be on that list if you included 7 mate and fox metros....ie if you were to compile a list of "biggest metro audiences" regardless if it was on fta or stv

I reckon there were a number of Friday night games this year that would be on that list if you included 7 mate and fox metros....ie if you were to compile a list of "biggest metro audiences" regardless if it was on fta or stv
I think your right. They are looking at a single channel event only. Metro ratings on 7. Lots of games in Perth are 7 mate.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

That what i gathered as well, looking at the anzac day ratings thats what seems to be the answer only counting the primary channel numbers.

View attachment 448352

NRL grand final is assured of big tv ratings because the AFL grand final is over and Victorians love our sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back