Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
33,467 at the MCG and probably mid-20s at Docklands. The weather in Melbourne would have impacted crowds.
Agree with the Pies game. Don't think weather would've had much impact on the Tiges game. 33,400 still a decent crowd notwithstanding the importance / interest in a top 4 match up.

Pies crowd looks pretty ordinary though. Can't blame Ethihad for this one as with the weather how it is, there's no certainty anymore would've actually ventured to the G for a 3:20pm start in horrid conditions as it is.

I'm not sure how the average crowds are going this year but considering Collingwood-Carlton-Essendon-Hawthorn are struggling they can't be good, Richmond are going alright but their supporters don't trust them, seems a bit like the perfect storm, have so many of the big Melbourne clubs been down at the same time before?

At this stage the odds are long for a Melbourne team playing off in the big one, Crows-Giants-Swans look like the major players, if it ends up an all Sydney GF we'll see the worst ratings of all time.

Wut? Probably the best ratings of all time.

Victorians will watch teams outside of Victoria you know. The Sydney derby comfortably outrated Melbourne v Adelaide on Fox in Melbourne.

Can't blame Ethihad for this one

Nah, we know that's reserved for Essendon games only.

Seriously though, we drew over 30k to the MCG against WC in wet and windy conditions when we were 0-8 and bottom of the ladder in 2005. Can't see today drawing any less if it was at the G.

As it is, it looks like low to mid 20s here which is what it was always going to be.

I think almost every reason given for not turning up to Docklands is rubbish, but there's no denying supporters of the MCG tenant clubs hate coming here.

That's Collingwood's 3rd home crowd of below 23k since the start of last year.

It shows that even Melbourne's largest club pulls ordinary crowds when playing poorly, despite the hyperbole we heard from the media in 2009-2013 about Collingwood being this miraculous collosus

Interesting to note it's now the 17-5 fixture would kick into play.

Do we think this would have an big impact on crowds in the coming weeks if we moved to this system ?

Also, it's about this week they put out the Round 23 fixture isn't it? AFL have a few problems on there hands maximising rest times as it seems most games have at least one side that will be either featuring in September, or playing for a spot in the final 8.
Makes it hard to choose which are the bigger blockbusters and get every game with something at stake on at a different time for maximum viewership

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No real defense, I was surprised at how small the crowd was today. It was pissing down when I left my house so I can see that turning a few off. Even though the games under the roof getting to and from isn't. Still an awful crowd.

Also, the sandringham, Pakenham and Cranbourne lines all had buses replacing trains today.

23,000 at a Collingwood home game at Docklands now that is pathetic Is the magpie army a lie or do they only go to the MCG?

Magpie Army is not a lie...... when winning we draw the biggest crowds in the afl. Issue is we are not winning playing at a ground Collingwood fans hate and also a lot of Collingwood fans are boycotting due to the Buckley factor. We play Adelaide next week and that game should draw 35,000 pretty much due to it being at the mcg. If we played the eagles at the g the crowd would of been 30,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the round started I had Essendon down for 40k, Richmond for 35k and Collingwood for 25k, so nothing has really changed as far as end of season predictions goes. Good results for all 3 mean that the projections should stay at the higher end for at least a couple of weeks.

Pretty happy with where the Demon are. Average also gets brought down by the 2 NT games
Demons doing exceptionally well, seeing great crowd growth with improved on field performances.

A great tussle at the top. Essendon will take the lead next week. Either Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon have claims to finish at the top of the list in 2017. My guess:
1st: Collingwood - 1,015,000
2nd: Richmond - 1,006,000
3rd: Essendon - 998,000

Demons doing exceptionally well, seeing great crowd growth with improved on field performances.

A great tussle at the top. Essendon will take the lead next week. Either Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon have claims to finish at the top of the list in 2017. My guess:

My prediction is

1st Richmond 1,002,000
2nd Collingwood 1,000,000
3rd Essendon 994,000

Rain would've have minimal impact as it was basically a fine morning when people would've made decisions to go. Rain mainly started during 2nd qtr.. Looks mid 30's, a decent crowd.

Geez Dave please just stop it, it was a s**t day period, it rained an hour before the game! It rained while we were driving,
We got soaked walking to the ground it then went dry for most of first quarter then it just rained all day!!! Of course it turned people away! Most people nowadays check the weather forecast...U don't think when it says 80% chance of rain (showers) won't make people think twice!!!

Geez Dave please just stop it, it was a s**t day period, it rained an hour before the game! It rained while we were driving,
We got soaked walking to the ground it then went dry for most of first quarter then it just rained all day!!! Of course it turned people away! Most people nowadays check the weather forecast...U don't think when it says 80% chance of rain (showers) won't make people think twice!!!
I don't quite share that view. I thought the morning was mainly fine with a showers predominantly after the game started. The official BOM site forecast was for 60% chance of rain between 0-2mm. In the end it was clearly wetter than forecast but given that most rain was just before or during the match, I don't think it would've had a material impact... This is not the case for the 3:20 match which would've been impacted by rain in the hours leading to match time.

Still 33,400 is a solid crowd though I thought it would draw closer to 40,000 today.

Nah, we know that's reserved for Essendon games only.

Seriously though, we drew over 30k to the MCG against WC in wet and windy conditions when we were 0-8 and bottom of the ladder in 2005. Can't see today drawing any less if it was at the G.

As it is, it looks like low to mid 20s here which is what it was always going to be.

I think almost every reason given for not turning up to Docklands is rubbish, but there's no denying supporters of the MCG tenant clubs hate coming here.
You have had a few more low crowds of recent times, and I get the feeling that the fan level of disenchantment with the club is higher now than it would have been in 2005.

I reckon at the MCG with the poor weather it would have got mid - high 20s.

I don't quite share that view. I thought the morning was mainly fine with a showers predominantly after the game started. The official BOM site forecast was for 60% chance of rain between 0-2mm. In the end it was clearly wetter than forecast but given that most rain was just before or during the match, I don't think it would've had a material impact... This is not the case for the 3:20 match which would've been impacted by rain in the hours leading to match time.

Still 33,400 is a solid crowd though I thought it would draw closer to 40,000 today.

U understand many families think twice bout bringing kids in an open stadium with rain pissing down.
Correct in morning was fine but it turned after midday and turned quickly! Thats right it was much more rain than forecast, i trully believe it impact the crowd by several thousand, agree it was solid without being terrific but what did u expect 40K in pouring rain, come on!

My prediction is

1st Richmond 1,002,000
2nd Collingwood 1,000,000
3rd Essendon 994,000

What do you guys have as the run home for each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back