Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home Crowds estimates by end of the season
1. Richmond 608,198 (55,291) Hawthorn 67,488 St.Kilda 52,663
2. Essendon 559,555 (50,869) Carlton 63,521 Adelaide 41,525 Fremantle 35,288
3. Collingwood 524,988 (47,727) Adelaide 37,559 Geelong 51,232 Melbourne 53,625
4. Adelaide 519,479 (47,225) Port Power 52,611 Sydney 50,211

Crowds are up 5%, pretty good and reflective of an equal comp, pity Collingwood is not up with the pack, that may have had an even greater impact.

35,773 at the SCG is a pretty good crowd.
I think themed games for a cause (in this case lbgtq recognition) actually might be a reason for the good crowd. Maddies match is another example.

The parramatta Vs Wests NRL match yesterday had a cause theme for the Kelly family due to one son dying to a coward punch and another son losing their life to suicide. The match got 30k which is a rarity for a Sydney NRL fixture.

Todd Greenburg actually asked if the family could be recognised this way, and I reckon as NRL CEO he recognises themed games with a benevolent cause brings people through stadium gates.

You have had a few more low crowds of recent times, and I get the feeling that the fan level of disenchantment with the club is higher now than it would have been in 2005.

I reckon at the MCG with the poor weather it would have got mid - high 20s.

I don't know about that. Dropping from 2nd in 2003 to bottom 4 in 2004 and then opening 1-8 in 2005 was *ahem* not very popular at the time.

I think themed games for a cause (in this case lbgtq recognition) actually might be a reason for the good crowd. Maddies match is another example.

The parramatta Vs Wests NRL match yesterday had a cause theme for the Kelly family due to one son dying to a coward punch and another son losing their life to suicide. The match got 30k which is a rarity for a Sydney NRL fixture.

Interesting. I wasn't yet aware of that NRL crowd, which is indeed a rare thing. Was there much promotion/hype around the Pride Game concept up there?

I don't know about that. Dropping from 2nd in 2003 to bottom 4 in 2004 and then opening 1-8 in 2005 was *ahem* not very popular at the time.

Interesting. I wasn't yet aware of that NRL crowd, which is indeed a rare thing. Was there much promotion/hype around the Pride Game concept up there?
Im in a regional NSW town so Im not sure of the promotion in Sydney, but I do know there was alot of chatter about it on RL forums which I summise may have added to the awareness.

MCG predicting 53k for Hawthorn/Sydney and 36k for Collingwood/Adelaide.

I'm hoping they're at least a couple under for the Pies. Hawks one sounds about right.

Something you don't see very often.....

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-07-24/two-games-one-ticket

Should happen a bit more TBH.
Very interesting.
Has such an arrangement ever happened before in Aust. with 2 different football codes?

I am a bit surprised that the NRL are agreeing to this. The NRL is, by far, the dominant code in GWS -AF only has a very small (but growing) following in GWS. Why would the NRL want to provide an advantage to its "upstart"competitor - a competitor that, in a few decades, MIGHT be a genuine competitor?
The NRL was deliberately scheduling local NRL games concurrently against GWS & GC home games. This was assumed to be a policy to diminish the local AFL's game media coverage/crowd/ratings etc. Recently, RL officials have stated publicly that they regard the AFL as a competitor.

Very interesting.
Has such an arrangement ever happened before in Aust. with 2 different football codes?

I am a bit surprised that the NRL are agreeing to this. The NRL is, by far, the dominant code in GWS -AF only has a very small (but growing) following in GWS. Why would the NRL want to provide an advantage to its "upstart"competitor - a competitor that, in a few decades, MIGHT be a genuine competitor?
The NRL was deliberately scheduling local NRL games concurrently against GWS & GC home games. This was assumed to be a policy to diminish the local AFL's game media coverage/crowd/ratings etc. Recently, RL officials have stated publicly that they regard the AFL as a competitor.
I think the Storm did it for their Anzac day games a few years ago?

Game at ANZ featuring a team that has recently not had the greatest of attendances at the ground. And GWS who also need to build attendances. Its mutaully beneficial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting.

Maybe the NRL didn't get a say, and in any case they're hardly in a dominant position IRT crowds in Sydney. If it brings an extra thousand through the gates for both games, then both teams win.

I have a limited knowledge of the NRL, but I reckon South Sydney v Canberra at ANZ will look pretty damn sparse. Any extra bums on seats is hardly a bad thing.

I think Brisbane Roar and Brisbane Lions did something like this at some point last year

Yep each club gave the other clubs members access to a pool of 5000 tickets to a match last year (Lions members got access to Roar vs Victory and Roar members got access to Lions vs Collingwood).

I remember the Storm around 2002-3 played the Canterbury Bulldogs on a Sunday here in Melbourne when there were no AFL games in town that day, so had a promotion for people who had gone to a match at the MCG or Etihad on the Friday or Saturday that if they brought their ticket stub got free entry

I think it's great and can only be beneficial for both clubs who take part

I have always wondered if it would be possible for Melbourne City in the A-League to somehow become affiliated with one of the larger AFL clubs in Melbourne.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Being only one of two teams in a city, it wouldn't make sense to align yourself with only 10% of the footy fans in the same city.

Being only one of two teams in a city, it wouldn't make sense to align yourself with only 10% of the footy fans in the same city.

Probably more for a thread about City, but after 6-7 years of existence and still only getting about a 9k average to their home games, creating an affiliation with a club like the pies, tigers or Hawks with 70000 members that instantly will feel somewhat of a connection to a team that plays during the 6 months of a year they crave sporting action can only help in my opinion.

Probably more for a thread about City, but after 6-7 years of existence and still only getting about a 9k average to their home games, creating an affiliation with a club like the pies, tigers or Hawks with 70000 members that instantly will feel somewhat of a connection to a team that plays during the 6 months of a year they crave sporting action can only help in my opinion.

Given the feral hatred of AFL in the more hard core of the soccer community, this is highly unlikely to ever happen.

MCG predicting 53k for Hawthorn/Sydney and 36k for Collingwood/Adelaide.

I'm hoping they're at least a couple under for the Pies. Hawks one sounds about right.
Would've thought the Swans-Hawks would be bigger. Friday night, both teams in good form. Considering they got 70,000 two years ago, I would've thought they'd get close to that...

Would've thought the Swans-Hawks would be bigger. Friday night, both teams in good form. Considering they got 70,000 two years ago, I would've thought they'd get close to that...

I hope so, but it's not a top 4 clash anymore, although I am looking forward to it nearly as much as one. Over 50k would be a good result, any more is a bonus in my view.

Home Crowds estimates by end of the season
1. Richmond 608,198 (55,291) Hawthorn 67,488 St.Kilda 52,663
2. Essendon 559,555 (50,869) Carlton 63,521 Adelaide 41,525 Fremantle 35,288
3. Collingwood 524,988 (47,727) Adelaide 37,559 Geelong 51,232 Melbourne 53,625
4. Adelaide 519,479 (47,225) Port Power 52,611 Sydney 50,211

about right.

But I reckon the last game against the saints has the potential to be a 70k crowd.

This is because it will shape the final 8, and it may well be the last chance saints fans have to say goodbye to Roo and joey.

In summary however you are correct, home crowds this year have been dominated by the RFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back