Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The QClash crowd is a worry for Gold Coast. Yes that's about the crowd they usually get for a QClash at Metricon - but it's Round 1 in a year where the Suns should be aiming to rise quite a lot, not a 15th V 17th clash in Round 17. With that in mind, 12,700 for an opening match is poor. Especially given the AFLW was an incentive for more Lions folk to attend than usually would have otherwise given the travel distance.

It's a critical year for the Suns. They really could enter Bears territory with another dud year - it's their seventh year now and excuses are running thin for them. They don't need to make finals - but another bottom 4 season could really see attendances hurt badly.

Perhaps some supporters decided to go to the AFLW final when they may have gone to the QClash under normal circumstances and couldn't do both.

But I think that wouldn't be a high number and agree with your post, that's a really poor crowd for Round 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was such a disappointing crowd given the hype in the build-up to this match. Ten years ago it would have easily cracked 40k and probably pushed 45k. For whatever reason St Kilda fans still aren't turning up like they used to and today's result won't help.
Not really! The saints have been terrible for years & the Demons fans wouldn't know where Etihad is

43,993 at Adelaide Oval. Assuming that's accurate (the official AFL figure is often nearly 1k less than the one claimed by the stadium management) then we'll need a little less than 35.5k at Freo to break 400k.

Great weekend of crowds with people flocking to the footy!
Pretty exciting first round for a lot of fans that haven't had much to enjoy for a while!

That said, looking at Round 2 there may be quite a few average crowds coming up.

Think we will finally see how many loyal hawks fan exist, likewise how many dees fans are going to come out of the woodwork. My hypotheses would be not many to both games.
Hope to be proven wrong!

Pretty exciting first round for a lot of fans that haven't had much to enjoy for a while!

That said, looking at Round 2 there may be quite a few average crowds coming up.

Think we will finally see how many loyal hawks fan exist, likewise how many dees fans are going to come out of the woodwork. My hypotheses would be not many to both games.
Hope to be proven wrong!

Dunno about hawks but the demon fans will be out in force so long as those real fickle ones in the MCC turn up.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope to be proven wrong!

I don't know about a quite a few average crowds, I'm not expecting any huge numbers but I think there'll still be a fair amount of optimism for a lot of clubs' fans. Plus a quite a few teams will be playing their first home game.

Early days but I'd expect something like:
Richmond vs Collingwood: ~65k
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney: ~30k
Hawthorn vs Adelaide: ~45k
GWS vs Gold Coast: ~8k
Brisbane vs Essendon: ~20k
WCE vs St.Kilda: ~36k
Geelong vs North: ~30k
Melbourne vs Carlton: ~40k
Port Adelaide vs Fremantle: ~38k

I don't know about a quite a few average crowds, I'm not expecting any huge numbers but I think there'll still be a fair amount of optimism for a lot of clubs' fans. Plus a quite a few teams will be playing their first home game.

Surely pies and tigers cracks at least 70000.
Got 72000 same round last year with pies coming off heavy defeat and Richmond scraping over line. 75000 should turn out for sure, anything less would be pretty disappointing.

Bulldogs vs Swans should get at least 35,000 being the Grand Final replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely pies and tigers cracks at least 70000.
Got 72000 same round last year with pies coming off heavy defeat and Richmond scraping over line. 75000 should turn out for sure, anything less would be pretty disappointing.

Yeah the return match later in the year (albeit with both teams out of finals contention) only managed 49k. I definitely went a bit conservative but personally I still think there'll be a bit of a drop-off from Pies fans from last year, Richmond possibly, too. Thursday Night game as well may have an effect. Would be happy with 75k. Maybe the lack of Friday/Saturday Night MCG game will boost MCC numbers.

My two bobs worth

Richmond vs Collingwood: ~74
Western Bulldogs vs Sydney: ~32k
Hawthorn vs Adelaide: ~48k
GWS vs Gold Coast: ~13k
Brisbane vs Essendon: ~22k
WCE vs St.Kilda: ~39k
Melbourne vs Carlton: ~49k
Port Adelaide vs Fremantle: ~42k

Yeah the return match later in the year (albeit with both teams out of finals contention) only managed 49k. I definitely went a bit conservative but personally I still think there'll be a bit of a drop-off from Pies fans from last year, Richmond possibly, too. Thursday Night game as well may have an effect. Would be happy with 75k. Maybe the lack of Friday/Saturday Night MCG game will boost MCC numbers.

Both clubs are trading at 34.00 for the flag. Says something. Neither are expected to really show anything this year and that will impact.

That said It is Richmond V Collingwood and Richmond are coming off an entertaining enough win whilst the Pies were more than competitive even if losing against the Bulldogs.

Assuming the weather plays along anything less than 70,000 would be a disappointment.

A little tid bit

Top 10 biggest VFL/AFL single-round attendances

1. 2017 400,401 - round 1, 2017 Ave 44,489 9 x games
371,212 - round 15, 2013
3. 367,974 - round 22, 1998 Ave 45,996 8 x games
4. 367,792 - round 1, 2012
5. 365,867 - round 1, 2013
6. 365,491 - round 5, 2016
7. 364,544 - round 1, 2007
8. 361,450 - round 17, 2009
9. 360,850 - round 1, 2016
10. 359,470 - round 1, 2015

A little tid bit

Top 10 biggest VFL/AFL single-round attendances

1. 2017 400,401 - round 1, 2017 Ave 44,489 9 x games
371,212 - round 15, 2013
3. 367,974 - round 22, 1998 Ave 45,996 8 x games
4. 367,792 - round 1, 2012
5. 365,867 - round 1, 2013
6. 365,491 - round 5, 2016
7. 364,544 - round 1, 2007
8. 361,450 - round 17, 2009
9. 360,850 - round 1, 2016
10. 359,470 - round 1, 2015
Highest round average would be a better record to break.

Suspect that the Oz/Ind Test would’ve taken away some of the usual audience on what was a bumper weekend of sport as it was. Still, that’s pretty concerning for AFL/Foxtel.

Suspect that the Oz/Ind Test would’ve taken away some of the usual audience on what was a bumper weekend of sport as it was. Still, that’s pretty concerning for AFL/Foxtel.
There was 2 games on at the same time that aren't usually so on Saturday as well.

At one point there was 2 afl games, the Test, F1 Qualifying and NRL on all at once.

There was 2 games on at the same time that aren't usually so on Saturday as well.

At one point there was 2 afl games, the Test, F1 Qualifying and NRL on all at once.

Hmmm certainly the Grand Prix particularly and the test would have a marginal impact and a slight impact from Not having the Saturday games spread from 1 O'Clock. The best indicator would be how the NRL went compared to the same round last year. Sunday looks quite a bit down

Whilst some great numbers for the AFL in round 1 for crowds there is one glaring problem that they will be massively concern about.

GC v Lions - 12,710 is a terrible number. Sure Titans were playing Cowboys at the same time, but you would've thought this number would've been better. The AFLW GF had a similar crowd and the tv numbers for that game were 19k higher than the Q-clash (I hate that name). last year the corresponding fixture drew 13,500 and was played at round 16 with both teams in the bottom 4 at the time, so a drop again is bad news.

It again asks the question of where is AFL in Queensland and can two teams survive.

I for a long time have said no because the crowd pool of fans who are going to go to games is smaller than that in Tassie. Will be interesting to see what sort of numbers Brisbane get on Saturday at Gabba, given the terrible weather forecast due to flow on effects of the cycle, the Lions are hopeful of still getting around 25,000 (good weather v Essendon normally sees crowds up around 30,00, second biggest drawing opponent behind Collingwood), I reckon 22,000 better guide.

Suns next host Hawks in round 3 so be interesting to see the crowd there. If it isn't above 15,000 it's terrible news for them.

For all the others (except maybe North), they'll be giving some high 5s on the crowd numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back