Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Full season irons out some of the home fixture advantage / disadvantage.. Ie: Tiges had both Dreamtime and ANZAC Eve as home games in 2017 and won't have these next year... Collingwood had ANZAC Day away this year.

Having said this, the Tigers have made the most of their home fixture in 2017 with a top 4 team cementing a great year of crowds.
Ahah, just let them win something. It obviously means a lot to Tigers Supporters.

All fun aside, it's the first year I've looked at this thread. Is it always this passionate?

Don't know if its possible but if we achieve a round attendance of 367,143 will get a total of 6,732,000 which is an average of exactly 34,000 per game. were certainly breaking a all time H/A record which is a great sign for Australian Rules Football.

I'd actually give that a 2 % chance, would need every crowd to to hit high end expectations. Alternatively 330k odd would get us to 6.7m which is remarkable.

Interesting, what do you put that down to. The variety of channels we have today, back then we only had ABC, Seven, Nine, Ten and SBS. Would this stat apply to all sporting codes?

competitive tension - Fox wasnt a factor in 1997 - and general inflation.

Soccer has gone from less than 2 million in tv p/a to 58 million over the same time.

leagues figures are murkier due to Superleague

Ahah, just let them win something. It obviously means a lot to Tigers Supporters.

All fun aside, it's the first year I've looked at this thread. Is it always this passionate?

Fans of sports teams in different sports globally get motivated by attendance because it is in their ( the fans ) hands. Believe it or not even fans of clubs other than the Richmond tigers do. EG I know of several Bomber fans who are interested and would love to pip us to the post this year

Many years ago I lived in England for a while...soccer fans were fascinated by attendance compared to their rivals. I'm sure its the same everywhere.

The best attended clubs are the ones with the athmosphere, the sense of occasion, the sense of theatre.

Some people mock such interest but millions worldwide are interested in how their club draws at the gate.

Where are you getting the 3.2 Million from? Early this year they were regularly nudging 5 million...this week, without any regionals or brissy FTA from yesterday (modest to be sure), gives a total of 3.3 million

Apart from friday nights great numbers this was surely a shocker of a week....inevitable late round one sided games because the conservative masses are preventing us from moving to a 17-5 model!

Fans of sports teams in different sports globally get motivated by attendance because it is in their ( the fans ) hands. Believe it or not even fans of clubs other than the Richmond tigers do. EG I know of several Bomber fans who are interested and would love to pip us to the post this year

Many years ago I lived in England for a while...soccer fans were fascinated by attendance compared to their rivals. I'm sure its the same everywhere.

The best attended clubs are the ones with the athmosphere, the sense of occasion, the sense of theatre.

Some people mock such interest but millions worldwide are interested in how their club draws at the gate.

I agree, but some of your tiger mates have dragged the discussion here into the gutter is the issue

Where are you getting the 3.2 Million from? Early this year they were regularly nudging 5 million...this week, without any regionals or brissy FTA from yesterday (modest to be sure), gives a total of 3.3 million

Apart from friday nights great numbers this was surely a shocker of a week....inevitable late round one sided games because the conservative masses are preventing us from moving to a 17-5 model!

Metro ratings for this weekend total in at 1.797 million on FTA and 1.338m on Fox = 3.135 million. (and includes brissy FTA yesterday).

Minor correction, the average for metro across the season is 2.012m on FTA and 1.494 million on Fox. So just over 3.5m average per round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll back the Tiger army to push us back into number 1 again. Should be a massive rollup on Sunday. Not diminishing the Saints turnout either there really should be at east 30K of them to watch a club legend and absolute champion run out on the MCG one last time. Over 70K with good weather.

So with Collingwood only winning 8.5 games to only be 10,000 behind Essendon who will more likely win 12 games and Richmond 15 games shows that if Collingwood are winning we are still the biggest club in the AFL
No arguments there but I think you did play 1 less interstate game than both Us and Richmond. Each Away game against GWS, GC and Brisbane knock probably 20k off the totals

I'll back the Tiger army to push us back into number 1 again. Should be a massive rollup on Sunday. Not diminishing the Saints turnout either there really should be at east 30K of them to watch a club legend and absolute champion run out on the MCG one last time. Over 70K with good weather.
I agree. We will get low 40's and Tigers will get 70-75k which will push them over the line

I agree. We will get low 40's and Tigers will get 70-75k which will push them over the line

My only concern with cracking 70k is we need the afl/mcc to turn out. Tbh have no idea how strong saints are in either. That said i think this being nicks goodbye may push up neutrals

30K saints? thats pushing it would be great but as the away team if they can bring in bout 20K+ that would be pretty good and tiges 45K+ ur looking at anywhere between 60-70K, i had 60-65K, MCC have their estimate at 65K
Also the big win over freo and the fact that many supporters haven't seen the boys play since the hawks game 3 weeks ago could bring out more...
Ill be there with bells on!!!

Metro ratings for this weekend total in at 1.797 million on FTA and 1.338m on Fox = 3.135 million. (and includes brissy FTA yesterday).

Minor correction, the average for metro across the season is 2.012m on FTA and 1.494 million on Fox. So just over 3.5m average per round.

Cool, so that's just metro....I remembered earlier in the year suggesting that 4.5 Millionish IIRC must have been close to a record but then you presented 4 rounds already this year with higher aggregates

In terms of growth in TV rights value, surely subscription tv and to a far lesser extent digital has been the biggest driver. Channel 7 contributes just $900 million (including $60M contra) of the $2.5 billion.

Whatever ratings seven was apparently getting at the tail end of their 93 to 98 deal should be remembered it was during the very limited analogue offer.

30K saints? thats pushing it would be great but as the away team if they can bring in bout 20K+ that would be pretty good and tiges 45K+ ur looking at anywhere between 60-70K, i had 60-65K, MCC have their estimate at 65K
Also the big win over freo and the fact that many supporters haven't seen the boys play since the hawks game 3 weeks ago could bring out more...
Ill be there with bells on!!!

Under normal circumstances yes but this is a special occasion for them.

You Tigers fans know that when you're actually competing for a flag you don't need to worry so much about winning the attendance competition right? I know it's been a while for you guys but there's better things to worry about now ;)

I have a theory that when Richmond start to come good, the obnoxiousness returns and god who generally hates them anyway casts them out into the darkness to gnash and grind their teeth once more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back